PDA

View Full Version : Blanket Chest Progress-Update-more pics

Michael Keating
08-23-2006, 7:57 AM
Hello all,

I am currently building a shaker style blanket chest for my Sister-in-Law's wedding. I am making it out of Tiger maple and I am planning on finishing it with the antique style finish for tiger maple that Lonnie Byrd wrote about in FWW last year. I am posting here as I am making this with 80% hand tools. Hand cut dovetails, planed to and scraped to smooth. Block plane to level the dovetails. I will show more as I get closer to being done.

Mike

Mike Henderson
08-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Good work! Keep the pictures coming as you make progress.

Mike

John Timberlake
08-23-2006, 6:58 PM
Looking good so far. Keep the pictures of the progress coming.

Mark Singer
08-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Very nice work!

Alan Turner
08-24-2006, 7:05 AM
Looking pretty good Michael. Keep us posted.

harry strasil
08-24-2006, 9:11 AM
I like it, more pictures please, I am curious how you orientated the joints to make the wide boards tho.

Bob Oehler
08-24-2006, 4:18 PM
Looks real nice so far.
I built a "pioneer" chest kind of like a sea chest for my brother for Christmas last year and did about 80% by hand. He loved it and keeps it in his living room where everyone who comes into his house sees it. It means a great deal to him and Your blanket chest will also be all the more special since it was made with your hands and will be handed down for generations to come

Enjoy building it
Bob Oehler

Michael Keating
08-28-2006, 8:32 AM
Hello all,

As promised I am adding more pics of the blanket chest I am working on for my sister-in-laws wedding. This weekend I did not have much time to work in the shop, but I was able to get the base done, attach it and add the cedar to the bottom.
This week I am going to sand an add the trim molding to the bottom. This week I am also planning on making the molding that will go around the top and flatten the top. I am planning on taking the top to a local sign maker with a CNC router and have them place an engraving on the inside of the chest, something like: "Today I will marry my friend"
Tell me what you think,
Mike

harry strasil
08-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Micheal, I hope you don't mind, I enhanced a couple of your pictures so I could see them better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/other/chest1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/other/chest2.jpg

James Mittlefehldt
08-28-2006, 3:54 PM
JUst wondered what the dimensions were Michael looking good, hopefully you will post more pics as it progresses. Thanks for sharing.