PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a knob for my big ash table... (w/pics)

David Eisan
08-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Hello everyone,

My big ash table is almost done. I have brushed 3 coats of Minwax water based poly onto the base and bottom of the table and 5 coats onto the top of the table. I wet sanded the top with 600 grit paper and rubbed it out with 2F pumice. I then waxed the top with Lee Valley blue label wax which ironically comes in a can with a yellow label.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/ashtablealmostdone1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/ashtablealmostdone2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/ashtablealmostdone3.jpg

I have been debating what type/style of knob should go on the drawer. A friend of mine who had a number of knobs at her place gave me a bunch to see what would look best on my table.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/allknobs.jpg

Which one do you think works best with the table? Or alternatively, do you have another suggestion for a better pull for the drawer?

Thanks,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, In mine, I'm him.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-22-2006, 11:05 PM
David..........Nice job on that table! While the whole project is beautiful, the top is gorgeous! 2 things I'd consider......Which pull do you and yours think go best with that table?.....Is this table of a specific style in a room decorated in that style and what kind of hardware is on the other furniture in the room?.....When I built the oak sideboard for my wife, I had to look for what seemed forever before I found what I considered appropriate. My style evaluation board (my wife and my neighbor's wife) didn't see them until I ordered them and they arrived. When I used doublesided tape to temporarily attach them to the doors and doors...they both agreed it was worth the wait and additional cost.

Good luck with your decision!

Again....nice work!

Bruce Page
08-22-2006, 11:07 PM
David, WOW! That is beautiful work!
I vote for the third one down.

Jack Ferrell
08-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Decisions, decisions. First let me say that I love the table. When coming to knobs, besides apparence, I worry about long finger nails scratching the surrounding wood when gripping the knob, but that seems unavoidable. A quick vote here in the office (both of us) we think a wood knob might look better. Don't know if same color or contrasting, we think maybe same color as the table. Maybe something elongated with the table top similar to something in Jamie Buxton's artice. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/9/page3.html

Kristian Wild
08-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Of the options you have presented my favourite is #5 and second choice is #6. The table looks really great!

K

Gary Breckenridge
08-23-2006, 12:02 AM
I really like the table. I would find out what hardware would kind of match in the room the table is going to. I also don't like cheap or cheap looking hardware. Too dainty would also be a bad idea and would lead to fingernail scratches.:cool: That said I like the simple bin pull.

Charles Wade
08-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Dave, excellent indeed. I have a distinct preference for a wooden knob or other opening device==preferably hand made.

"Gary Brewer"
08-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Have you looked at the mission style pulls? Some might fit the look of the table.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Nice table. I like 4 best.
The iron with the spiral and the hand forged look.

Aaron Beaver
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I like both #3 and #4 (in the seperate pictures) but I am leaning more toward #4

Jim W. White
08-23-2006, 11:36 AM
David,

The table came out great!! nice work.

...as to the knob, I'm partial to #6. I think the darker color of the wrought iron contrasts well with the light colored ash, but as others have said; I think it would be most dependant on the room it was placed in and what existing hardware was in the room.

Jim Becker
08-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Very nice job on the table!

Which knob is more in keeping with other decorative features in the location the table will be residing? They all look great, although I happen to like #6 the best.

Rick Gibson
08-23-2006, 11:51 AM
My preference would be for a wooden knob, preferably made from the same wood. By the way are you sure you don't want to store that table at my place for a couple decades. Nice work. My wife liked the first one.

Chris Padilla
08-23-2006, 1:10 PM
I'm with Rick...all those choices suck! :p Wooden knob all the way. It could be a contrasting wood (walnut, bubinga, cocobola, purpleheart, bloodwood, etc.) or something similar (ash (duh!), maple, oak, hickory).

Can you turn your own knob?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-23-2006, 2:42 PM
I like the plain round knob, why?

It does not compete with the beauty of the wood in and the simple elegance of the table.

Cheers!

John Shuk
08-23-2006, 4:27 PM
I think #5 (Leaf at both ends). I think it works well with the piece. If it were maple I would say something more simple but I think the grain is a bit busy for a plain knob. It is a nice piece. JMO

Peter Stahl
08-23-2006, 7:29 PM
Nice table, I vote for #6 also.

John Michaels
08-23-2006, 9:53 PM
Very nice table, excellent work. I'd go with a wooden knob.

Charles Wilson
08-23-2006, 11:15 PM
I vote for the 1st pull on the list. Nice table.

Regards,
Chuck

Rick de Roque
08-23-2006, 11:34 PM
I would vote to make your own out of a contrasting wood. Walnut looks good with ash. Just my $.02

Rick

Vaughn McMillan
08-24-2006, 4:27 AM
Just hold them up to the table, one by one, and ask LOYL: "does this knob make my ash look big?" :p

- Vaughn

Philip Duffy
08-24-2006, 5:08 AM
Take all those knobs back to Ace Hardware and turn a knob out of cocobolo! A beautiful table like yours deserves the best knob you can make. Phil

Henry Cavanaugh
08-24-2006, 9:11 AM
#6 simple shape, contrasting color and start using your good looking table. Down the road you can replace it with your turned or carved knob out of that special wood left over from a different project.

Larry Crim
08-24-2006, 9:51 AM
I vite for a contrasting wood knob also

Hugh Jaskok
08-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I vote for knob number one if you ruled out using a wood one.

Chris Padilla
08-24-2006, 11:53 AM
David! Where are you?? I MUST know what choice you are going with!! :) Post, post, post!! ;)

John Timberlake
08-24-2006, 3:02 PM
Love the table. Great job. I would go with either #2 or #6. #3 looks too much like a school library table. A wooden knob would also go well here.

Brett Baldwin
08-25-2006, 2:52 AM
The table looks great. I am going to have to agree with all the others that suggested wood but to add to your dilemna, I'm going to suggest a pull instead of a knob. A simple 3/8" or so thick strip of wood maybe 3/4" deep and you'd have to gauge width against the drawer size. Slightly concave top and bottom for an easier grip. If you're going metal then the bin pull has my vote.