PDA

View Full Version : Segmented bowl

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2006, 8:41 PM
Shedua and bloodwood, 9"x1-3/4". Not having to deal with endgrain is nice, but whether it makes up for the pain of the glue-up, I'm not real sure. :p
The "texturing" on the foot is not intentional: my jam-chuck-and-duct-tape lashup came loose just as the last nub of tenon broke off, turning my toolrest into an impromtu texturing tool.:eek: Thankfully it's not as obvious in person as in this photo. I've got a doughnut chuck under construction, but I don't think it will quite handle a piece this size.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-22-2006, 8:53 PM
Super job, Lee. The cut-up and glue-up are too daunting for me. Too much like work. Turning is supposed to be fun and that is not fun for me. Others enjoy it, though.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Lee that is a beauty. I am like Bruce though. That glueup is to much like work.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Lee...........You did well. Your little mishap......Well I was beginning to think ONLY I had those experiences! I'd not have the patience for the intricate cutting and glueup! Once again you've shown you're a better man than I!

Jason Borthwick
08-23-2006, 7:46 AM
Lee I really like your segmented bowl. What program do you use to layout the angles for the segments.

Raymond Overman
08-23-2006, 8:34 AM
Nice looking piece Lee. As other's have said, I don't have the patience for the glue up but I admire the work. One thing that might be interesting for next time is include some of the bloodwood in the center of the bottom of the bowl. Just a thought. Nice piece all around the way it is.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-23-2006, 9:45 AM
Nice work, Lee. I wish I had the tools to do segmented work.

Lee DeRaud
08-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Lee I really like your segmented bowl. What program do you use to layout the angles for the segments.I've just got a template in CorelDraw with segments of a whole bunch of angles, all drawn to a nominal 6" outer diameter and 4.5" inner diameter. If I need other sizes, it's just a matter of scaling...the angles don't change.

I also cut a bunch of 1/4" MDF templates on the laser so I can set the miter-saw to oddball angles accurately.

Lee DeRaud
08-23-2006, 11:02 AM
One thing that might be interesting for next time is include some of the bloodwood in the center of the bottom of the bowl. Just a thought.Thought of that at one point, but I'd already glued on the 1/8" piece I had lying around...it was mostly there to give me just a bit more height.

Even if it was thicker, cutting through the center of the "pie" to reveal it would not work all that well: I found out you really want a fairly steep angle when you go through a glueline between layers.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Raymond Overman
08-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Even if it was thicker, cutting through the center of the "pie" to reveal it would not work all that well: I found out you really want a fairly steep angle when you go through a glueline between layers.

I agree Lee. It needs to be part of the ring design in your layout instead of cutting through. That way it doesn't look like a plug. I was just saying a circle of the red in the center of the brown would look nice too. Maybe even a red ring at the largest diameter of the bowl if you want to get fancy and all.

Don't get me wrong. The piece is nice as is. I'm just thinking about what you're going to show us next. There's so many ways you can go with the polychromatic turning.

Myrel Willeford
08-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Very nice bowl! How do you cut out your segments? Do you use a sled on a table saw?

I attempted it once using a compound miter saw. I had a couple of scary catches rocketing across the shop. :eek:

Lee DeRaud
08-24-2006, 1:04 AM
Very nice bowl! How do you cut out your segments? Do you use a sled on a table saw?

I attempted it once using a compound miter saw. I had a couple of scary catches rocketing across the shop. :eek: I used the CMS, but I'm going to try the TS next time. The CMS is more accurate for length, the TS is probably more accurate for angle...dunno which will turn out easier in the long run.

Ken Salisbury
08-24-2006, 6:22 AM
Basic segmented bowls are relatively easy to make. See the article I published on the subject several years ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/4/

Jim Hinze
08-24-2006, 6:31 AM
Great Bowl Lee... very nice.

Also, Ken.. great article. I may have to give that a try one day..

Ken Salisbury
08-24-2006, 6:50 AM
Lee I really like your segmented bowl. What program do you use to layout the angles for the segments.

I use a very simple freeware called "polycut". Do a google search for it and if you don't have any luck e-mail me and I will send it to you.

Gary DeWitt
08-24-2006, 12:57 PM
I've used my TS with great success to cut segments. For accurate length, use a sacrificial fence added to your miter setup, cut a stop block at the angle you will be cutting your segments, and anchor the block to the right side of the blade at the required distance.
Also, you can really get into trying to produce perfect (as in + or - a few thou) segments, but it's not really necessary. As long as you glue up in stages, and true up the half rings before gluing them together, and then flatten the whole ring after the glue dries, your joints will be nice and tight. You can also just flatten one side of each ring on a flat table with sandpaper on it, glue it to the piece you are working on, and flatten the other side on the lathe.
Good luck.

Jerry Ingraham
08-24-2006, 5:38 PM
Nice work, Lee. You're pushing me into trying a segmented project even though they do seem to require quite a bit of work. When I look around my shop and see that I'm out of sawn blanks though, my eye turns to all those scraps of wood that I keep just cause I MIGHT need them someday...:)