PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Drill Press - ?

Charles Wilson
08-22-2006, 8:35 PM
I have decided on a benchtop drill press as I would like it to be mobile (plan on making a mobile base for it - Proulx). I was looking at Ryobi, Grizzly, and Delta. Any comments?

Regards,
Chuck

glenn bradley
08-22-2006, 9:04 PM
My baby delta has been a good machine but the short throw and shallow throat depth are a challenge. I've been looking at a radial bench top model but have heard mixed reviews; mostly positive (Grizzly g1131[?]).

When I first made my mobile base, I thought a 3/4" MDF top would be adequate for the 80lbs since it was only 20" wide. . . wrong. Now have laminated a scrap piece of oak table top to it; no problem. Just FWIW.

Mike Hill
08-22-2006, 9:12 PM
I would like it to be mobile (plan on making a mobile base for it - Proulx).
Regards,
Chuck

Chuck: I just finished a base for my Ryobi Bench top Drill press. It is a good design, simple and very stout. I made a table for the drill press as designed by Proulx, but it was so high it made many operations impossible, so I constructed a new top, fence and hold downs that has worked really well. Picture below. The hold downs are not shown since I just added them:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=43966&d=1154708049

Corey Hallagan
08-22-2006, 9:38 PM
I like your design Mike. I am going to make something similar.

Corey

John Shuk
08-22-2006, 9:42 PM
I have an older Central Machinery Benchtop. I find it to be pretty good and as much as I have needed so far. I can't speak to what they are putting out now.

Mike Cutler
08-22-2006, 9:42 PM
I have the Delta 10" benchtop. Like Glenn stated though, it is a bit limiting with the depth of throat, and the quill travel. It also doesn't go slow enough for the really big bits, and hole cutters. Large Forstner bits are a challenge.

If you can swing it, I would look at a floor standing model, with the ability to adjust the rpm's to real slow, <100rpm. This lets you do the occasional metal stuff, and the bigger wood drilling operations.

My next drill press will be a milling machine.:D ;)

Randy Meijer
08-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Most bench top drill presses only have a quill travel of around 2-3/8". If you are going to do pens, more travel is very nice. The only ones I know of that are over 3" are the Ryobi, the HF and the Grizzly.

I bought the HF unit

<<<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38142>>>

because of its 16 speeds and it's larger motor. When the HF units go on sale, if you can find a 20% off coupon, they can be had for about $130 assuming you have a store close by and don't have to pay shipping.

The Ryobi is about $150 at Home Depot or maybe it was Lowes? And the Grizzly will be around $250 unless you are close to a store and can avoid shipping.

Corey Hallagan
08-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Most bench top drill presses only have a quill travel of around 2-3/8". If you are going to do pens, more travel is very nice. The only ones I know of that are over 3" are the Ryobi, the HF and the Grizzly.

I bought the HF unit

<<<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38142>>>

because of its 16 speeds and it's larger motor. When the HF units go on sale, if you can find a 20% off coupon, they can be had for about $130 assuming you have a store close by and don't have to pay shipping.

The Ryobi is about $150 at Home Depot or maybe it was Lowes? And the Grizzly will be around $250 unless you are close to a store and can avoid shipping.

Wish I had known this when I bought my benchtop. BTW Ryobi is an exclusive brand to Home Depot.

Corey

Frank Fusco
08-23-2006, 9:11 AM
I have a Grizzly G7943, a bench top. It is an excellent machine but I regret not getting the floor model. Not much more money but the floor models are far more versitile. And they both have the same footprint.

Rob Bodenschatz
08-23-2006, 9:50 AM
I have the Delta benchtop and sometimes I regret not getting a floor standing model. Then I remember I only paid about $70 for it after discounts (it was new but the plastic motor cover was cracked). It probably won't be long before I upgrade.

The machine is fine but I will say this, quality drill bits make a HUGE difference. I got the HSS Lee Valley ones that everyone recommends and they are awesome.

Jim Becker
08-23-2006, 9:59 AM
The advise about "capacities" is sage...there is nothing inherently bad about the bench-top DPs--they drill holes. But nearly all of them have serious limitations in the "how deep", "how big" and "how fast--and especially, how slow" department. Be sure that you consider that in your evaluation. A floor standing unit on a shop-built mobile base (locking and larger than the small metal base for stability) can also accommodate a very nice cabinet if you don't need to drill holes in the end of long things. You gain up to several inches in effective drilling depth and with a good choice, low speeds that are safe for big cutters, such as wing-cutters and large Forstners. In other words, the floor model DPs are much better buys in the long run, even for the cabinet-idea situation you have.

Randy Meijer
08-23-2006, 4:29 PM
I have a Grizzly G7943, a bench top. It is an excellent machine but I regret not getting the floor model. Not much more money but the floor models are far more versitile. And they both have the same footprint.

Frank: It wouldn't surprise me if the head on your DP is the same as the one on the floor model and that the only real differences are the column and the base. Have you considered checking this out with Grizzly to see if they would sell you just a longer column? I'm sure you know there is a Grizzly store fairly close to you so shipping expenses would not be a concern. I suspect the base of your DP would be a little lighter than the floor model; but that would be easy to resolve. Either you could bolt it to the floor or build a bigger base out of wood for more weight and stability. Other option would be to sell the BT model and buy a floor model....... obviously there is an interest in BT drill presses!!

Rob Diz
08-24-2006, 10:02 AM
I inherited a Ryobi benchtop DP from my father. I recently made a table top for it based on the Rockler design (but with scraps and $10 of T Track), and frankly it is doing pretty much everything that I have needed it to do.

I have some space issues in my shop, so just last weekend I made a very simple cabinet out of 3/4 ply - biscuits and all - on which the DP sits. My Delta Benchtop mortiser (and some other crap) sit in the cabinet below. I put the cabinet on locking casters. The whole thing was measured to fit in between two storage shelves, and is at the same height as my bench, just in case.

I have not yet had any stablity issues, but can always bolt the DP/Mortiser to the top if needed.

It was a few hours work to build the thing, but well worth my time.

Would I love to have a floor model DP - sure, but I also need to get a Bandsaw, and I don't really have room for that either.

Jim Chilenski
08-24-2006, 2:42 PM
I have the Delta DP350 variable speed benchtop drill press and am very happy with it. It has a 1/2" chuck, 3 1/4" quill stroke, and can be equiped with the mortising attachment. There was a problem with the early models, of which mine was one, with the variable pulley failing. But a call to Delta service and they shipped out a newer design of the pulley. The current units have the redesigned pulley.

I would recommend this machine to anyone looking for a benchtop drill press.

Jim

Chuck Hanger
08-24-2006, 2:56 PM
Hi all,
Would show you photos of my old drill press that I bought back in 1969 at a farm auction for $ .50 if someone would tell me how to post them. Have tried several times to ask for help here and always seems to end up with a blank screen.
Thanks,
Chuck

Alex Berkovsky
08-24-2006, 4:10 PM
I have the Delta DP350 variable speed benchtop drill press and am very happy with it...
...I would recommend this machine to anyone looking for a benchtop drill press.Jim,
I have the same DP and would not recommend it to anyone. I haven't used it a lot and already burned out 2 switches. If you search other WW forums, you'll find that I am not the only one.
Delta has sent me 2 new switches free of charge, but it's a matter of time before they are toast - bad design, I guess. At that time, I will probably replace it with a light switch attached to the side.

Mark Carlson
08-24-2006, 4:48 PM
Jim,
I have the same DP and would not recommend it to anyone. I haven't used it a lot and already burned out 2 switches. If you search other WW forums, you'll find that I am not the only one.
Delta has sent me 2 new switches free of charge, but it's a matter of time before they are toast - bad design, I guess. At that time, I will probably replace it with a light switch attached to the side.

The switch on my Delta 350 also failed. Delta charged my around $28 bucks for a new one. I'm currently waiting for the variable speed control feature to break.

~mark

Larry James
08-24-2006, 4:56 PM
Chuck: I just finished a base for my Ryobi Bench top Drill press. It is a good design, simple and very stout. I made a table for the drill press as designed by Proulx, but it was so high it made many operations impossible, so I constructed a new top, fence and hold downs that has worked really well. Picture below. The hold downs are not shown since I just added them:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=43966&d=1154708049
Mike, like your table.

I have a Delta bench top DP, and have the hardware to build a table similar to the table in your picture. I have 2 questions for you:
1) How do you mount your table to the DP - is it bolted or quick release?
2) How do you square the fence, or is not a problem?

Thanks, Larry

Jim Chilenski
08-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Jim,

Alex,

I'm surprised that you and others have had a problem with the power switch on this press. I'm wondering if it is a more recent model problem. I bought my DP back in March of 2004 and other than the variable speed pulley failing, as it did on the early versions, it hasn't given me any problems. While not as beefy as a good old Walker-Turner DP it has given me good service.

Jim

Mike Cutler
08-25-2006, 1:38 PM
Hi all,
Would show you photos of my old drill press that I bought back in 1969 at a farm auction for $ .50 if someone would tell me how to post them. Have tried several times to ask for help here and always seems to end up with a blank screen.
Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck.

To post a pictures here are the basics.

1.Type your post.

2. Scroll to the bottom section of reply screen and there will be a field that is for Additional Options".

3. Click on the "Manage Attachments" button. A dialog screen will open up to ask you where,and in what file the p[icture is located.

4.Choose the picture on your computer.

5. The file path and name should show up in the dialog box.

6. Click the "Upload" button.

7. If the picture is not too large. There will be an icon that shows up that shows that your picture has been uploaded. It will also show the file size.

8. Click on the "Submit Reply" button at the bottom of the reply window, but don't try to preview the post.

Your post with the picture should show up in your reply.

I use the following setting for pictures;

Jpeg setting of 'Normal". Jpeg "Fine", and Tiff's are too large. Raw is also too large. The picture has to be in one of the formats listed in the manage attachments box. If your pictures are being stored on your computer with a proprietary software format. For example. I can't upload a Nikon file directly from my Nikon software on the computer. I have to convert the file using a second party software package. That's why I just default to Jpeg format. I tried to upload a photshop file once and it didn't work either.

Picture size. I use the 640x480 setting on my camera and have no issues.

If you continue to have problems contact Aaron Koehl. He'll be able to help out.

Mike Hill
08-25-2006, 2:05 PM
Mike, like your table.

I have a Delta bench top DP, and have the hardware to build a table similar to the table in your picture. I have 2 questions for you:
1) How do you mount your table to the DP - is it bolted or quick release?
2) How do you square the fence, or is not a problem?

Thanks, Larry

Larry: Sorry: I did not see this post right away. My Drill Press is bolted to the cabinet and it really gives it a lot of stability. Really, squaring the fence is not a big problem. Since whatever your drilling is in the same spot in the center of the fence, you can be off a bit and it wont make any difference. On something where I have to be right on, I would just use a square.
Mike

Hank Wangford
08-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Google is your freind >>> Bench drill press reviews (http://drillpress-reviews.info/tag/bench-drill-press/)

keith jensen
08-10-2011, 10:40 AM
I went with a 1940's walker turner 900 bench top drill press. It must weigh over 100lbs though. Paid $45 for it on craigslist. It still needs a mobile cart and some fine tuning but runs well.

Are you thinking only new though?

David Hostetler
08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Chuck, I am wondering, if you are going to build a base cabinet for it, why use a bench top model? Why not build a base and cab for a floor model drill press? That way you can get more quill travel and throat depth.

I literally was on my way to pick up a Ryobi 12" DP when I stumbled upon the deal for my 15" floor model DP, I got much greater quill travel, more speed selections, and greater throat depth than I would have out of the bench top model. And for less than half the price considering I got mine on Craigslist...

Kyle Iwamoto
08-10-2011, 11:53 AM
This is a 5 year old thread.

glenn bradley
08-10-2011, 11:58 AM
This is a 5 year old thread.

I was curious what had re-kindled the discussion . . . I have been through two other DP's since this thread :D:D:D.