PDA

View Full Version : Turbine systems

Lou Miller
08-22-2006, 8:15 PM
Hello all,

I hope this is in the right forum... I'm thinking about getting a turbine HVLP system for my finishing. I'm a small one-man show cabinet maker and I do 2-300 cabinets a year. Right now I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Fuji Q4. Anyone have some wisdom they can throw my way on this? Like the Fuji, dislike it, prefer another brand, whatever... Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Al Navas
08-22-2006, 8:49 PM
The Q4 should have plenty of power to spray latex too, if you wish to do that eventually.

I have the Fuji Q3 Pro and like it very much, too. I don't want to ever spray latex on my walls, so that is what I bought. It has performed flawlessly.

You may want to consider also getting the #4 cap set - the spray systems come with the #3 (finer spray), I believe. Those two should be all you will ever need, unless you decide to spray latex sometime.

I recommend you also purchase the Teflon-coated cups, to minimize problems with waterborne coatings. It seems that some of the additives in the waterborne coatings (zinc, I believe) react with the aluminum cups in the guns, causing some solids to form when the coatings are left in the uncoated cup for prolonged periods. Just make sure to clean the gun thoroughly every time you use it.

In addition, you might consider purchasing the set of three polyethylene mini-cups. They will make spraying in tight places a lot more fun than using the larger aluminum cups, which can become cumbersome with things like shelves, etc.

Call Paul at Fuji and discuss with him what else you may want to consider buying up front.

Enjoy!

Al

Chris Padilla
08-24-2006, 12:33 PM
I think the Q4 is a great system but I ended up purchasing an Apollo 1000 several years ago. One thing I do not like about my Apollo is the ungodly noise it produces. Other than that, 100% satisfied with the Apollo. Check out www.hvlp.com (http://www.hvlp.com) if interested.

BTW, I spray latex all the time with my Apollo 1000...just be sure to thin/condition the latex with Floetrol (in fact, do this for all latex painting regardless of application method).