PDA

View Full Version : New Uni proof pic and extension cord size question

Mark Rios
08-22-2006, 8:02 PM
So, here is the requisite pic of the new Unisaw, thank you very much. :D

I called Biesemeyer (thanks to all of you for the tip) and was able to get a "special deal" shorter rail set so that I don't have to cut the 7' rails that came with the saw. 12" left and 30" right for $72. WOOOHOOOO!!!

I ran the saw when I was at the old owners house and it sounded okay however when I looked under the table when I got home I saw that the belts were a little loose. He said that he probably hadn't used the saw for two years or so. Would the belts stretch for some reason? Or could he just have not tightened them appropriately to begin with.

Anyway, to my cord question. The motor size is 3 HP. (Thanks Don)

At times I will need to run an extension cord from someone'e house, probably from their dryer outlet, to use while doing work on their home. I figure that I won't need to run any further than 75' (let's just say that I WON"T run a cord any longer than that).

What gauge wire will give me the minumum voltage drop in that length of a run? Should I go 8 gauge? 6 gauge? or will 10 gauge be big enough?

Please bear in mind that the cord will be in two (2) sections. One section 25' long that I will use daily to run from the house to my trailer and the other section will be 50' to be used seperately or in addition to the first one, depending on how far it is to the outlet.

Thanks very much for your help and advice.

Don Baer
08-22-2006, 8:11 PM
Good gloat. What Horsepower is the motor. That will help indetermining the cord size.

Mark Rios
08-22-2006, 8:21 PM
Good gloat. What Horsepower is the motor. That will help indetermining the cord size.

Sorry Don, thanks for the reminder. 3 HP

Ian Gillis
08-22-2006, 8:25 PM
Great score on the saw!

Regards the extension cord, I think you already located the saw manual online (or did I just imagine that?). I think you'll find a model/motor specific table somewhere in the manual detailing the allowable runs for specific guages.

I'd hate to be the one carrying 75ft of 6/3 extension cable. Good luck with that!

Cheers
IG

John Shuk
08-22-2006, 8:30 PM
I would buy a length of 10 gauge wire with the rubber coating and make up my own cord. You may also find that you need a few short jumpers to fit your cord in case you come across a different outlet configuration. Dryer outlets are pretty standard though. I use a cord like this in my basement and it works well. It has allowed me to put off running dedicated 220 circuits. 10 guage may or may not be overkill but at isn't that much more and it won't have a negative effect. JMHO

Andy Hoyt
08-22-2006, 8:31 PM
Mark - Knowing the kind of heat those belts have suffered through in the Sac Valley, my guess would be that they're quite brittle. Swap 'em out, maybe even with that link belt stuff everybody raves over, and make some dust.

Congrats!

glenn bradley
08-22-2006, 9:08 PM
86 the belts. They're not that expensive and you'll be sure of consistent service from that really nice saw!

Frankie Hunt
08-22-2006, 10:50 PM
I replaced a couple of cords recently, one on a jointer and another on a planer, because I needed longer ones. When I went to price the wire, I found it was cheaper to purchase an extension cord and just cut the ends off of it.

I needed much shorter runs than you so I used 12/3, but I would use 10/3 on your run. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong on that.

Lowes sells Yellow Jacket brand extension cords. This is what I went with: Yellow Jacket™ 100' 12/3 Super Flexible Outdoor Extension Cord Item #: 71664 Model: 2885 $56.00

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=71664-171-2885&lpage=none

I would think you would need this one: Yellow Jacket™ 100' 10/3 Super flexible Cord with T-Blade Item #: 72400 Model: 2992 $92.00

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=72400-171-2992&lpage=none

Howard Acheson
08-22-2006, 10:54 PM
The extension cord gauge is dependent on the amperage rating of your motor and the length of the run. Horsepower and voltage have nothing to do with it.

Get the manual and/or contact Delta.

Don Baer
08-22-2006, 11:34 PM
The extension cord gauge is dependent on the amperage rating of your motor and the length of the run. Horsepower and voltage have nothing to do with it.

Get the manual and/or contact Delta.

Howard,
Horse power will tell you the Wattage (wiatt= HP x 746) and Voltage will tell you the amperage amps = Watts/volts.

Mark,
You could get by with the 12 ga but I'd go with the 10 ga. Get some 10-3 SO and a couple of plugs and you'll be in business.

Mike Cutler
08-23-2006, 5:30 AM
Mark.

10 gauge is definitiely big enough, but I would make the extension 75' and roll the excess up onto a garden hose reel. The two breaks might be convenient, but the second connection is just one more joint, and a potential source of problems. Leave it one length if you can. Change the belts out also. They have probably taken a "set" by now and will be a source of vibration.

Oh, and by the way, Congrats on the new saw. :cool:

Kyle Kraft
08-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Use caution when leaving a power cord reeled up during use. We had an instance at work when a temporary feed from a generator to a building caught on fire because they left the excess cable coiled on the reel. Be careful, and maybe in the case of a saw which sees intermittant use at less than full load amps you'll be okay.

Mike Jory
08-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Mark, As was already said, I'd also recomend getting 10/3 SO cord. The 220voltage drop over 100' of #10 although it will be some, it's negligable.

A couple things to consider: don't use the cord when it's coiled, or rolled up on any drum type of device. The magnetic field will generate to much heat. In my industry, I've seen it melt cords into a glob until it trips breakers, or easily get to hot to handle until a circuit breaker has to much draw.
Second consider how many plugs in that 100' run you really need. Every time a plug is added to a run there is a chance for dirty connections to also generate heat, slowly a connector could melt or burn. This includes the wire lugs inside, as well as the mating pins!
It's just a good idea to be cautious when pulling any current some distance.
Mike

Kent Fitzgerald
08-23-2006, 1:09 PM
By my math, 20 Amps through 150' (round trip) of 10 ga copper wire will result in a negligible voltage drop of 3 V, or 1.3%.

I agree that an intermediate plug and cord cap will probably add more resistance than just using the full length cord, but as Mike said, the cord should be unrolled in use.