PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning

Nigel Morgan
08-22-2006, 7:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

Any tips please on the best cleaning fluid to use to remove wood smoke/resin from the rule and cutting table.

Cheers

Nigel

Bruce Volden
08-22-2006, 7:42 PM
I have steel tables in my machines and use acetone and a cotton ball~~~fast and efficient!!

Bruce

mike wallis
08-22-2006, 7:47 PM
Rubbing alcohol works well and is not likely to remove the ruler lettering.

Ed Lang
08-22-2006, 8:00 PM
I have been using Simple Green available at Lowes.

Mike Null
08-22-2006, 8:39 PM
I use diluted orange clean. Also great for cleaning up pre-finished wood after engraving.

Dave Jones
08-22-2006, 9:02 PM
I dilute simple green in water and use it to clean most parts of the laser.

Brent Vander Weil
08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
How often and what methods does everyone use to clean the lenses and mirrors? I am not running a really high volume at this time, but I wanted to try to put together some sort of routine for hours used and service required if I can.

Ed Lang
08-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I check the lense and mirrors each day before I start. If I am cutting a LOT, I will check the lense and mirrors after a few hours.

I use Q-tips and the solution that came with my laser. I also use air from a can to blow the moisture off and any lint before installing the lense and mirror assembly.

Kevin Huffman
08-23-2006, 1:25 PM
Hello Brent,

As far as a daily regiment we normally use this formula.
If the mirror/lens is in the general engraving area where it is exposed to debris we suggest cleaning them every day.
If the mirror/lens is in some kind of protective box inside the machine but not directly in the engraving area we suggest once a week.
If the miror/lens is outside of the engraving area and is in a protective box which seals it from debris, we suggest once a month.
If you ever look at a mirror/lens and it is no visable debris/dust/dirtyness on it, then there is no reason to clean it. Simply put it back into the holder and start engraving. I suggest to my customers that these maintance's be done first thing in the day, it gets rid of any dust that may have settled on it from the previous day's engraving or previous night of just sitting there.

For the mirrors we use a drop/pull method. Put the Kodak lens cleaning paper on the mirror, put one drop of kodak lens cleaning solution on top and pull the debris away. If it isn't clean, put the wet spot of the paper back onto the mirror and pull a different direction. You wouldn't want to put it the same direction because you would be pulling it over the debris. Do this until clean.

For the lens we use a hospital quaility q-tip and some of the lens cleaning solution to clean it off.
Some people use the q-tip and solution to clean both, mirrors and lens. We have found that it can scratch them up easier so we use the drop/pull method.

I would really refer to the manufacturer literature or contact your tech support to find out how they suggest keeping them clean. They are going to know best how to keep it clean and running.

Brent Vander Weil
08-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys... I appreciate the advice.