PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Box

Raymond Overman
08-22-2006, 7:36 PM
I had an old piece of eastern red cedar that I had cut up some time ago into a blank and dreaded turning because of the way it tears out. It had turned dark compared to the light red it was when I first cut it and I didn't recognize what it was until I had cut it into a circle on my band saw and smelled that unmistakeable cedar smell. Well, by that time it was too late so I went ahead and put it on the lathe.

This box is what came out of it. Not bad for a piece of cedar. I might even do something with the rest of the stump now.

3 3/4" diameter by 4" tall to the top of the finial
Eastern Red Cedar / Ebony Finial
Laquer Finish

Ken Fitzgerald
08-22-2006, 8:05 PM
Raymond...........Very elegant! The form is nice....the wood is nice and the finial adds some more elegance! Nicely done! Is that a brushing lacquer or a spraying lacquer?

Dale Overman
08-22-2006, 8:12 PM
Looks good. I agree it is hard to get cedar smooth. The finish looks real good.

Corey Hallagan
08-22-2006, 9:34 PM
Very pretty box Raymond. Nice finial and finish too.

Corey

Mark Cothren
08-22-2006, 9:38 PM
Nice box, Raymond! Love the shape! Do I see some type of swirling effects on the inside of the lid, or is that my eyes playing a trick on me??? Would love to hear more about it...

Travis Stinson
08-22-2006, 9:43 PM
Very nice box Raymond. The little flame finial is just the right touch.:cool:

Raymond Overman
08-22-2006, 9:51 PM
Nice box, Raymond! Love the shape! Do I see some type of swirling effects on the inside of the lid, or is that my eyes playing a trick on me??? Would love to hear more about it...

Yep Mark. I used my texturing tool to create a little interest on the inside of the lid.

Mark Cothren
08-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Good deal... thanks for the info...

Glenn Hodges
08-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Great job on this cedar piece. I dread it because of the cracking, but your piece looks so good.

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Raymond that is a beauty. I like cedar but can be a bit hard to sand smooth. I really like the finial. Nice job.

Scott Donley
08-23-2006, 1:30 AM
Nice job Raymond, I like the use of ebony for the finial, looks good with the cedar.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-23-2006, 9:31 AM
I like it, Raymond. It's very pretty, nicely executed, and has a great finish on it.