PDA

View Full Version : Sanding discs - Is it my imagination

Mike Turner
08-22-2006, 6:35 PM
I have been a longtime user of Klingspor H/L sanding discs... I have had & continue to have the problem of when to change them...ie. "When are they shot?"
That's not my question....
I have recently bought a package of "Norton 3X Sanding Discs." I find that they seem to last substantially longer than the Klingspor.I have compared the same grit in both instances (120 grit)
I have bought both the Klingspor and the Norton from Lee Valley and the Norton is $0.10/disc more expensive....(I buy in lots of 30 discs)
The Klingspor discs are described as aluminum oxide grit with a no load zinc sterate coating for longer wear.
The Norton discs are described as using a friable aluminum oxide abrasive (quick cutting but long lasting).
Is there any difference between the two or is it just my imagination???
I should mention that I am using the discs on a Porter Cable 5" sander and sanding red oak kitchen cabinets.
Thanks for any insights or experience..
Mike..

glenn bradley
08-22-2006, 6:58 PM
I can't speak to the performance of Klingspor but, Norton 3X works better, longer than any other generally available paper I have used. Others I have mentioned this to have tried it and see the same result.

So, hoo-rah for 3X but I don't have the names of the stuff it works better than. I've only used 3X for so long I forget what I used to buy. My initial side by side comparison was so obviously in favor of the Norton product, I never looked back. Bear in mind that I am a hobbiest and don't exactly burn through the stuff. ;-)

John Huber
08-22-2006, 7:22 PM
What Glenn said. No comparisons from me, either. But the Norton 3X sanding discs from Lee Valley last a long, long time, compared with the discs from the Box stores. Well worth the extra cost.

john whittaker
08-22-2006, 7:38 PM
Good timing....I just tried some 3X Norton today for the first time....on my ROS. I was surprised at how much longer it lasted than the generic disc's I had left over from the BORG. Actually thought about posting my observations on SMC to see if anyone else has like experience. Guess that question has been answered.

Larry Fox
08-22-2006, 8:11 PM
I have used them as well and the do seem to last a really long time. One thing to keep in mind is that they will likely cause problems with WB finishes due to the sterates. I use it when I will apply a shellac seal-coat then switch to Mirka or 3M after the seal-coat.

Steve Clardy
08-22-2006, 9:03 PM
My first choice is Mirka. Then Norton.
Never tried Klingspor.

I buy 6-10 boxes of 100 discs per year.

glenn bradley
08-22-2006, 9:06 PM
Larry, thanks for the info. I was not aware of the WB finish issue.

Jake Helmboldt
08-22-2006, 9:06 PM
Has anyone tried those metal Micro Plane discs? I'd be curious to hear how they hold up and also how they perform.

JH

Steve Clardy
08-22-2006, 9:12 PM
Has anyone tried those metal Micro Plane discs? I'd be curious to hear how they hold up and also how they perform.

JH

I haven't heard anyone raving about them:)

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-22-2006, 11:05 PM
I prefer Norton.

Ed Bamba
08-23-2006, 12:04 AM
I have used them as well and the do seem to last a really long time. One thing to keep in mind is that they will likely cause problems with WB finishes due to the sterates. I use it when I will apply a shellac seal-coat then switch to Mirka or 3M after the seal-coat.

Larry, are you referring to the 3X line only? Or are the standard variety also the ones to keep away from WB finishes. Could either line be used prior to applying WB finish (i.e. water based analine dyes)?

Thanks, Ed