PDA

View Full Version : Finished!

jesse akers
08-22-2006, 5:47 PM
This guy is completely built with #2 common pine. The drawers are also made of 3/4 " pine with 3/4" box joints. The carcass was stained with dark walnut, then the whole project got 3 coats of lacquer. It fits the purpose it was built for perfectly, as you can see. I just kinda drew a pic, then went to building. For the most part it went pretty smooth. Tell me what you think!http://www.woodworking.com/dcforum/User_files/44e88f560e5044ab.jpg

Chris Padilla
08-22-2006, 5:54 PM
Nice and clean, Jesse and welcome to the USS SMC! Wade in with more stuff...we LOVE pics! :D

Steve Beadle
08-22-2006, 8:01 PM
You did a great job of matching the drawer fronts, Jesse! I build a lot of stuff with pine myself, because in spite of the difficulties in finishing and the fact that it's not a hardwood, I can afford it!

You mentioned that you used box joints on the drawers. I have done that in the past, too, but now I enjoy hand-cutting dovetails too much and there's no turning back. I always had too much tear-out making the box joints on the table saw with a dado blade.

Keep up the good work, and welcome to the Creek!

Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
08-22-2006, 8:09 PM
Jesse.........Welcome to the Creek! Nice job on the project! The walnut stain on the carcass adds a nice contrast and makes the grain and knots pop on the unstained pine! Well done!

Again........Welcome to the Creek!

Bob Noles
08-22-2006, 8:11 PM
Welcome to SMC Jesse!

What a beautiful job and great way to start your journey here. I am very partial to the look of pine and enjoy the beauty of the wood, albeit a little tricky to work with at times. You did good and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thanks for sharing with us.

glenn bradley
08-22-2006, 9:10 PM
I've always had a soft spot for pine pieces. No pun intended. That looks really good. I enjoy the lighter woods and your drawer fronts are just the ticket.

David Duke
08-22-2006, 9:19 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jesse, see you are a quick learner...........we LIKE pix.
Oh yea, good job on the cabinet, simple but functional.

Jim Becker
08-22-2006, 9:26 PM
Great SMC debut, Jesse! Welcome!