PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Hinge Spacing

Larry Fox
08-22-2006, 4:18 PM
I asked a question last week about hinge choices for my current kitchen cabinet project. I have decided on Blum Clip-Top hinges. I now have a question about vertical spacing on the hinges - specifically how far from the top and bottom of the doors those who build cabinets frequently place the hinges. My cabinets are face-frame and the doors are full overlay with a 1/2 overlay.

I have looked at various cabinets and the distance appears to range between 2 3/4" and up to 3 1/2+". This leads me to believe there is no standard so I guess I am looking for what is most common or a reason to choose one location over another.

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

Larry

Lars Thomas
08-22-2006, 5:06 PM
The only standard is high (and low) enough to allow you to screw in the mounting plates. The distances you cite, look good to me.

Ian Barley
08-22-2006, 5:07 PM
Larry

I don't think that there is a magic formula and I always adjust for what looks right with the door. I tend to start with the hinge at 1/4 of the way up from the bottom and 1/4 of the way down from the top and see what that looks like. If there is a magic formula I am looking forward to learning it with you:)

Steve Clardy
08-22-2006, 5:08 PM
Standard door, 22 to 28 inches in height, I place the center of the hinge on 3"

Cabinet above the fridge or microwave, much shorter doors, 14 to 16 inches, I place the center of the hinge at 2 1/4"

Nissim Avrahami
08-22-2006, 5:22 PM
Hi Larry

I ask a kitchen manufacturing company (here in Poland), and they told me that the normal is 4” from top and 4” from the bottom of the door unless, it is a sink unit (that has a vertical re-enforcing board under the upper plate) then, they move it to 5-1/2” from the door top, and that’s what I did on my kitchen doors.

Just to make it clear, the center of the hole is drilled at 4” from top or bottom.

niki

Nissim Avrahami
08-22-2006, 5:33 PM
Hi Larry

I found here:
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Efficient_Drilling_for_Hinge_Placement.html

“From contributor P:
We use a Blum minipress in our shop and drill all doors 4" from the edge of the doors on top and bottom (unless it's a funky arched door or has some other obstruction). We then install the Blum hinges with the clip on plates and use 1/8" spacers or appropriate to line up the door on the case and just screw it in.

In my own small shop I also use a nice drill press to drill the hinges. I set up a nice jig with some chrome plated pins that get inserted into holes located 4" from the center of the drill spindle on either side. Just slide over to the pin, drill your hole, switch the pin to the other side and repeat and you are ready to insert hinges. This is not quite as fast as the minipress of course but it is as fast as my small shop will ever need...”

niki

Larry Fox
08-22-2006, 8:18 PM
Thanks for all the helpful replies - this really does help clear things up. It certainly validates my research.