PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Exhaust Vent

Joe Pelonio
08-22-2006, 2:50 PM
My exhaust vent goes to a 4" ABS pipe that's close to 20' long.
I have put off removal and cleaning since I will be moving in the next few months, but am curious if anyone else with a long run has cleaned theirs, and what it looked like inside. On the end I have one of those white dryer vents that keeps the bugs out when it's not on, and it's now black.

Mitchell Andrus
08-22-2006, 4:01 PM
Perhaps a low-tech approach.... Home Depot must have a brush that can be shaped to 4" round. How about attaching that to a plumber's snake?

Mitch

Jeff Lehman
08-22-2006, 4:26 PM
I have a wood stove and they sell a steel brush that would probably work. It is designed to put a weight on the bottom and can be raised and lowered vertically on a rope, but if your run of duct is horizontal then you will need to push the rope through it with something and then just pull the brush through...may take a few runs to get it acceptably clean. See attached picture:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/images/Lg/5RU-35056.jpg

Joe Pelonio
08-22-2006, 5:12 PM
Chimney sweep brush. Good idea, and I do have a snake, or I could use two lengths of 1/2" PVC pipe and a union. The last 20 feet is a straight shot, and I can easily remove the parts between the laser and the fan. A lot easier than taking it all out, and if I have the fan on it will blow outside. Just have to remember not to park my car there that day.