PDA

View Full Version : Hvlp Kaput!

John Kain
08-22-2006, 2:43 PM
Got the Wagner HVLP out to spray on some Laquer. Went to turn the bucket off and.............split............

Well, here's hoping a warranty will work. Unbelievable.

tod evans
08-22-2006, 2:49 PM
john, here`s the road i chose....02 tod

http://www.spraygundepot.com/scripts/bnkmg1-I.pdf

John Kain
08-22-2006, 7:06 PM
Little update:

Went to the Wagner local service center. Got extremely good customer service. Wagner will promptly send me out a brand new HVLP (unless one of the higher ups sees a problems with it and flags the request.) Should have a new gun in a couple weeks. Oh well, guess I'm back to Deft for awhile.

John Kain
08-22-2006, 9:00 PM
I need some information:

I went with some Deft spray lacquer because the bookcase has too many corners to brush it on (my HVLP has spoiled me).......

I sprayed one coat on, let it sit for 30 minutes or so........

Then started spraying a second coat on. For whatever reason, I started spraying the back first and before I was done with the back, noticed a faint white haze. Is this probably the famed "white haze of heat" that people talk about? I've sprayed USL in hot weather before without a problem. I'm guessing it is.

So how are you supposed to fix it?

Here's what I did, and yes, I got pretty lucky. I basically made up a toner really darn fast. I had some mission brown transtint all mixed up. So I threw some on a sponge, sprayed and wiped over the white junk. White junk dissappeared. It's been over 30 minutes with no reappearance. The back of the bookcase it now minimally a bit more brown than the cherry-stained Oak on the other sides.

So, did I get lucky? Is there another fix I didn't think of in my panic? Nothing like a couple weeks of work blowing up in your face all because your HVLP broke..........

Steve Clardy
08-22-2006, 9:09 PM
Sounds like you are spraying inside the cabinet?
White stuff is either lacquer drying way too fast, or the overspray in the cabinet. I'd say it's overspray.
I never spray a cabinet of any kind with the back installed in it.
I hate that blowback in my face. And no overspray settles in there.

John Kain
08-22-2006, 9:12 PM
Sounds like you are spraying inside the cabinet?
White stuff is either lacquer drying way too fast, or the overspray in the cabinet. I'd say it's overspray.
I never spray a cabinet of any kind with the back installed in it.
I hate that blowback in my face. And no overspray settles in there.
Nope, white stuff on the back (against the wall) part of the case. I'm actually finishing the back because it sits up against a staircase.

tod evans
08-23-2006, 7:31 AM
john, could be blush. if you spray lacquer in high humidity it`s common for it to blush. the way i address this is by lightly sanding with 220 or a red scotchbrite then spraying a very thin coat of finish, 80-20 or thinner...02 tod

John Kain
09-04-2006, 8:15 AM
Well, here's a nice resolution to my sprayer issue. Just thought I'd post it because of the excellent customer service I received from Wagner. They send out a new sprayer without any questions. Good job Wagner!