PDA

View Full Version : HELP.....gulp!

Shelley Bolster
08-22-2006, 2:07 PM
The message is gone, so am I.

Helen Gee
08-22-2006, 2:19 PM
AWESOME!!!!! Congratulations, that is a way awesome opportunity, not just for showcasing your work and getting potential clients, but also to encourage more women to get into woodworking.

The question I have for you is how long will the demo be? Is it going to be just 1 hour, 4 hours, etc?? Tod is right about preparing your stock beforehand if you do not have time, that way you will feel more comfortable knowing everything is there and ready and all you have to do is XYZ.

Do a few practice runs beforehand so you can time yourself and make sure you have all the necessary equipment, accessories, parts, etc.

If you are having people do hands on stuff, then you should probably stick with basics (maybe no power tools) and at least do a safety lecture first before anyone gets on any tools. You'll need to provide safety glasses if the people coming are not prepared already and make sure they sign waivers beforehand :p

Oh oh , and don't forget your marketing stuff ;) print out all the nice pictures of your past work and put it into a portfolio for peope to look at. If you get a nice booth space, print some nice big pictures of some of your best work. And biz cards, brochures, etc.

tod evans
08-22-2006, 2:24 PM
shelley, thanks for saving kens "edit" finger....he would have been busy:rolleyes:

are ya` still going to talk to us common folk now that you`ll be a star?

do they have anything like a county extention center in canada? these are places that country folk can go to get information on anything from animal husbandry to logging... i`m thinking that if such a place exists up there they may be a good avenue for the type of folks i see being interested......just thoughts..tod

Shelley Bolster
08-22-2006, 2:33 PM
The message is gone, so am I

Zahid Naqvi
08-22-2006, 2:36 PM
If you are really into this presentation stuff, you can record yourself doing a dry run at home and then play it later to see what can be changed. But I don't think a tool/WWing demo is going to be that formal. The picture that comes to my mind is that of cooking shows where the host shows how to mix and prepare the ingredients, and has a precooked dish already sitting in the oven which he/she pops out at the end.

With that in mind you can have a night stand all ready and cut for dry assembly as your "cooked" item, and during the demo you can make one of each. Such as: one side of a dovetailed/finger jointed drawser, mortice and tenon joins, top and sides. At the end you pull out all the precut componants and dry assemble them to give an idea of what the finished product will look like. Some how fighting with all the clamps at the end doesn't seem very attractive to me. Dry assembled with a rubber mallet should hold the structure in place.

Shelley Bolster
08-22-2006, 2:41 PM
The message is gone, so am I

Jerry Olexa
08-22-2006, 3:24 PM
Congrats!! You deserve this recognition...

Andy Fox
08-22-2006, 3:27 PM
Congratulations! Glad to hear the store has become more enlightened since you first started going there. :) Good luck!

Frank Fusco
08-22-2006, 3:49 PM
Shelly, your husband and my wife would object if I dared to "bare" with you. :eek:
However, I am happy to bear with your concerns. :rolleyes:
As irresponsible and ignorant as it is of those salesmen to overlook you, it does happen the other way also. Try being a man buying cloth in a sewing shop. Practically can't be done without physically grabbing a sales clerk. I know. Been there, been the invisible customer many times.
Hang in there. Good luck.

Tom Jones III
08-22-2006, 4:11 PM
Frank, I know what you're saying about the man in a fabric store. LOML sent me to buy makeup at the clinic counter. After being passed up in line a few times I finally had to demand service.

Shelley,
* how many women do you expect to actually be around to see the demo?
* Would it be better to demo projects that our wives more commonly do or do you want to demo projects that most beginner hobbyists do? for example, spindle turning, christmas ornaments, picture frames vs. bedside tables, coffee tables

Bob Childress
08-22-2006, 4:37 PM
Shelley, this is wonderful! Congratulations. Well-deserved.

You are right to offer mini-demos (of something). People get tired and their attention wanders, so anything longer than a hour or so--it will be hard to hold them (voice of experience here). You might want to alternate the "shop tools demo" with a "real project" demo. Some will come for both sessions. You know "shop demo at 10" "birdhouse building at 1:00", etc.:)

Go get 'em.:D

Ian Barley
08-22-2006, 5:03 PM
Shelley

Congrats - I haven't forgotten you - Just still doing too many 14 hour days:) .

This sounds like a great opportunity. I like tods idea but it is real important that you leave yourself the time to talk to folks about woodworking and about your own work. And i'm not talking about "selling" your work but about finding out what folks think and what they might want in the future. That said, the nightstand would be impressive and show a nice range of skills. Maybe break it up into a series of mini demos. So that at 11am you show making the drawer. Most of the components pre-made. you make the last couple of pieces and then assemble in a 30-45 min time slot. 1pm you do the same sort of thing but with a raised panel door? etc... Kinda takes the pressure off both you and the visitors and lets you show some skills and techniques with some "for the last several minutes I've been..." moments.

Be ambitious , but only as ambitious as allows you to be successful. And like tod says (by my inference) its good practice to need to work fairly swiftly.

I would be cautious of photos of your hand carnage. By all means talk about it but photos of a bloody mess will make a bigger impression in peoples minds than rational explanatiosn of the chain of events.

Once again - congratulations on well deserved recognition.

Mike Henderson
08-22-2006, 5:34 PM
Shelley, Congratulations on your opportunity, both to showcase your work and to teach others. Your dilemma is one I’ve thought of but still haven’t found a solution. It’s easy to demonstrate turning – in a short period of time you can produce a bowl, or a set of candle sticks, or a number of other things. But when you try to produce “furniture” it’s tough to do it quickly.

One thing I thought of is to make a box. The project needs to be small and simple, and hopefully appeal to your audience. With a box, you could prepare the stock in advance and talk about the steps in that preparation. Maybe even do one step, like cutting the groove for the bottom.

Then, have the box in various states of completion. You could demonstrate sawing the box to create the top and bottom. Then another sample could be prepared for the hinges, and you could talk about how that’s done.

Basically, it would allow you to show a project from start to finish, without having to do each of the steps in real time.

Then, of course, have a couple of boxes completed so that people can see what they might create.

But no matter what you decide, I'm sure the people will enjoy it.

Mike

PS: I would not get into injuries. People will assume that injuries are a part of the hobby. While injuries are always a risk, many woodworkers are never injured, certainly not seriously.

tod evans
08-22-2006, 5:55 PM
one note i`ve not seen addressed yet;
the fellow who owns the store is selling high end equipment, per shelleys discription, and she`ll be on hand to show what can be built using the equipment available in the store. i honestly think that by appealing to the female gender that an even larger number of male woodworkers will show up. and i`ll stick to my original suggestion of a nightstand, in essence it`s only a box, with another box that slides in to it. in fact i`d suggest making them,(the night stands) as technically challanging as you`re comfortable assembling on site, that way folks of both genders will see first hand that cool stuff can be built at home and by a "woman" no less. just think if the present day t.v. icons tried to demo boyscout projects.......how long would their shows be aired? give folks something to strive for if only they had that new general tablesaw, or that floorstanding hollow chisel mortiser, that way the store owner will be more likely to invite you back and the spectators will be more likely to come see your next exibit and bring their friends/spouses.......more of my .02 tod

Don Baer
08-22-2006, 6:12 PM
Shelley,
You could always make something like this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30542&d=1138492924

Simple to make, All of the parts would be precut and ready to assemble. You could demonstrate how to make various parts of it and it only requires a bandsaw, router and some hand tools. Sam knocks em out in half a day from scratch.

In terms of your accident, I would shy away from the grafics. You could talk about it but to me the pictures would be a turn off.

and it would be a nice piece to raffle off.

Cecil Arnold
08-22-2006, 7:35 PM
Congratulations Shelley, couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Jim Becker
08-22-2006, 7:38 PM
I think that it's great you have "educated" those folks that women indeed do fine woodworking. I really don't thing that gender should ever be a factor on things like this...a great woodworker is a great woodworker. It also shouldn't affect customer service in a store, either... ;) I also think it's great they want you to demonstrate at their event...and know you'll do a wonderful job, probably outshining most of those with "the alternative plumbing" arrangement.

I'm sorry that it whacks your vacation timing wise, however...

David Duke
08-22-2006, 9:16 PM
Congrats Shelly, I sure you will do a great job and have a good time too. I agree with the others, think I'd stay away with to showing of the graphic pics.

Kristian Wild
08-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Congratulations Shelly! That's a fantastic opportunity. My father-in-law is in Kamloops, maybe I'll try to come up for a visit that weekend and take in your demos.

Kris

Seth Poorman
08-23-2006, 1:13 AM
Hey Shelly
What about Bandsaw boxes ??? All you would need is a band saw and oscillating spindle sander, clamps , sand paper , glue, maybe a router...
If your not familiar check out (Lois keener ventura) her book is vary detailed...I saw this book at Wood crafters...
I dont know if it would be a problem getting a couple small 14" bandsaws to the site???????:confused: Just a thought :rolleyes:
Good Luck and have fun...;)

Art Mulder
08-23-2006, 6:57 AM
OK.....bare with me while I

Shelley!! :eek: SHHHHH. Don't tell them about all the naked woodworking that goes on up here in Canada!!! Now they'll all want to come visit. :D;):D;)

One of my thoughts would be, seeing that I am there to encourage women, to hold a mini orientation workshop with the most common tools used in a hobbyist shop. Basically, have them set me up a little "workshop" and hold one hour classes familiarizing women with the use of tools with a chance for a little hands on - they do have insurance to cover that I believe but will look into it beforehand. Then, in between "classes" do a demo making a cove on a TS then continuing into Ogee bracket feet.......or perhaps making (and having free plans for) a sliding cut-off jig for the TS or maybe finger joint jig?
My thoughts are caution... How many people are expected to come to this show? You are only one person. If you are going to let people do any sort of hands on, then that will severely restrict the numbers. You can only safely, and easily, supervise a few people at a time. Whereas if you just give a talk/demo, you can have 30-50 people watching.

Back in March, I helped out at the Canadian Home Workshop show in Toronto. They had three different areas where people could do hands on. In each section, the people FIRST had to sign liability waivers. Then in each section, we had volunteers so that everyone had a one-on-one guide to walk them through and supervise using the tools and jigs. In that way, things kept moving fairly quickly, and also were quite safe.

I worked in the kids section, where we made a simple 4 board step stool from pine (see attachment - I painted my test piece later). The boards were pre-cut. First we traced out the arch in the legs using a template jig. Then to a drill press to predrill for the 8 screws (simple but joinery with glue and screws, which you can't see as I painted over them). Then to a scroll saw to cut out the arch on the legs. Then to a stationary belt sander where we smoothed the flat surfaces. Then to an oscillating spindle sander where we smothed all the curved surfaces. Then to an assembly jig which held the middle board (spine) vertical while you could glue on the legs and then the top.

It was a lot of fun, and the kids had a great time making a project to take home. BUT it was still at least a 20 minute process from end to end to do this, and that was if you did not have to wait for a turn at a tool.

One of the other sections was a "womens woodworking" area, where they were trying to do what you are doing - introduce women to making projects. Their project was a small 4-board tea-light-candle holder. It involved work on a chop saw (started with one board, cut into four) then a drill press (drill out the tea-light holes) and some router work (round over the edges) and so on.

Sorry to give caution rather than ideas. If I think of anything else I'll revisit this!

...art

Guy Germaine
08-23-2006, 7:39 AM
I agree with Tod on the nightstand project. (Or something similar). How about, as Tod said, have the finished item there for display (just dry fit so you could disassemble it to show how it's put together), and have all of the material milled up for the other nightstand? Then, for your "demos", have one of the attendees come up and make the necessary cuts? For example, have one of the women come up and make a tenon on one of the pieces. Then have another come up and make a dovetail or a rabbet for the drawer, etc. Just some random thoughts.

tod evans
08-23-2006, 7:52 AM
Shelley!! :eek: SHHHHH. Don't tell them about all the naked woodworking that goes on up here in Canada!!! Now they'll all want to come visit. :D;):D;)
...art

20 below zero...neeked:eek: ........i`m stayin` in the sticks!

Al Willits
08-23-2006, 8:41 AM
Having just gotten done with a beginners wood working class and there being 6 gals in the class and 4 guys, all beginners, I'll give my take on it fwiw.
Keep it simple, nightstands, coffee tables, whatever may be nice, but unless your "students" have a background in wood working, better chance they'll become fustrated.
The first project we made was a push stick for a TS, most of the class found that was challaging enough to start on and there were more than a few smiles when they got done with them.

We then did a small foot stool or half round table and things slowed down by quite a bit, not sure if you'll have time to even do a project like them.

Maybe find a neighbor who is thinking of doing woodworking or volunteer and see what a newbie can handle with out getting into trouble ?

Small simple projects they can take home and beat hubby with, would probably be nice....ok...maybe not hubby, but something easy and cute.:D :D

Our instructor had a discussion time at the beginning of each class and first tell us about a tool/wood/finish's and then we'd talk about it for a bit and ask any other questions we may have come up with.

Good luck on the class.

Don't feel bad about them ignoring ya at first, happens to the wife and I all the time, local high end stereo store lost a sale to the wife.
Seems after me telling the salesman it was the wife who wanted to buy a system, not me, for the second time, she had enough and headed for the door.
Manager heard my wife's response to the way the salesman was ignoring her, caught her half way out the door and we ended up with about 40% off the system and a apology from the sales guy...pays to make your concerns known I guess...

Al .. ok, they don't have to be cute.....just easy...:)

Mark Hulette
08-23-2006, 9:28 AM
Shelley-

Congrats! Here's my $.02-

Whatever you decide to make, I'd do it like the cooking shows on TV- show a little of the prep, a little of the assembly, a completed unfinished product and then unveil a nicely finished product. Might be a little excessive on the material cost (hopefully the store is footing that bill). You can adjust the amount of time you spend on each segment and it would lend itself to the multiple demos.

I agree that I'd stay away from graphic images of what can happen around sharp spinning metal.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Gail O'Rourke
08-23-2006, 9:46 AM
Hi Shelley - too bad on cancelling your trip! Congrats on the woodworking demo day. All the input sounds great...getting your audience involved (vocally) will be great - ask them questions as you are doing things...who has one of these tools? Who has ever worked with (this wood)? What did you think? Then you will have a little discussion and people will ask questions - most likely they will ask a question that someone else is probably thinking. Love the table raffle - also could the co. could raffle one of the tools you are showcasing to anyone that stops by your demo.

You have an easy going confidence and enthusiasm for woodworking here on the forum - I know that in person you will shine. Good luck.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Congratulations Shelley! Some men have a hard time seeing women do certain things, since I grew up watching my mom be a general contractor for our houses [each one constantly being remodeled], I don't have this affliction.

I am very glad to see that you have re-trained these guys to recognize a very important market for their tools. I deal with 95% women when building decks and pergolas. Seems the guys want nothing to do with the process [not too surprising when you think about it].

I actually prefer working with women, they are much more open to design ideas and visualize them much easier.

Whatever you choose to make, I would keep it simple. You might have a couple of small projects, maybe one on a lathe and the other on a router table. Maybe you could make something a woman would normally buy like a jewelry box & a pepper grinder.

Good luck and let us know how it went!!

George Summers
08-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Ok, I'll throw in another idea. Make a reasonably simple project ahead of time that has a variety of differnt steps/techniques using different tools. Something that has mortice and tenons, has edge treatment with a router, dadoes, etc, etc. Then have the tools set up and use scrap (small pieces of demo wood) to show the various steps. Point out the mortice and tenon joint on the project and then using a tablesaw (with or without a tenoning jig) and a mortiser to show how the joint is made. Show alternatives with a biscuit joiner and a pocket hole jig. Then point out the edge treatment and maybe do it free hand with a router and then on a router table. Point out the shelf and how it is held in place (dadoes or shelf pins) and demo how to do that. This way you don't have to build anything, just demo the various steps/techniques used in making the display project. All you will need is the tools set up and ready and a bunch of wood. You might even point out in passing (with one pass) how the jointer and/or planer works and what it does.

Good Luck

George

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-23-2006, 2:39 PM
Way to go Shelley

My Uncle and family live in Kamloops, only a few hours from Kelowna, where my parents live.

The Tool Place in Kamloops is good? The one in Kelowna was OK about 3 or 4 years ago when I went there.

Boy what a chance, make hay while the sun shines!!!

Can't wait for the full report and the pics!

Cheers!

Tom Jones III
08-23-2006, 3:32 PM
Great 2nd post Shelley. I like the idea of cutting a cove. It has some gee-whiz factor in cutting a curve on a TS, it hits your "making real furniture" focus while being short enough for a demo. It sounds like you are on the right track.

BTW, LOML is a little size 2 cutie who loves ribbons and bows, cooking and decorating, the ultimate girly girl -- but she also works in the shop with me, runs marathons and had a summer job welding in a factory!

Gail O'Rourke
08-23-2006, 4:29 PM
I love the idea about doing the cove molding on the TS, I have read about it several times and never tried it, if I saw it in person, I am sure I would go right home and make some.

Great ideas.

Jeff Fritzson
08-23-2006, 4:30 PM
Shelley,

Congratulations!! Just another point of view is that there may not be that many people who will stay for an entire day (or maybe they will.) With that inmind I would think a couple of different options would be to do something that you can complete in 60-120 minutes and do sveral of those.

For example, creating a pen, bowl or other item on a lathe could be done within that time frame. Tools used - drill press, disc sander, lathe

If you have pre-miled your wood you can probably create a box using a router and jig for joinery. Showing different joints, how to set the bottom and top, hinges and always have a completed one ready to show as a finished product. Tools used - router table, belt or edge sander, chisel, hand plane

A demonstration showing how to take rough lumber to milled lumber and why you follow a certain process to get that accomplished along with all the safety tips. Tools used - planer, joiner, band saw, table saw, hand planes

Build a small cabinet - use pocket hole joinery, dados, rabbets, add a face frame . Tools used - pocket hole jig, power drill, router, table saw, dowel jig, biscuits

Build a raised panel (or not) door - router, table saw, attach with a hinge to the cabinet you built previously.

Just some thoughts to show several completed projects that allow for breaks and people coming and going.

jeff