PDA

View Full Version : ONEWAY WOLVERINE Grinding System

Joe Tonich
10-04-2003, 5:52 PM
Anyone have this sharpening system? I was looking at both, this and the TORMAK system. The TORMAK is nice but all the attachments are REALLY expensive! The ONEWAY jig looks like it is all I need. I was thinking on getting the Vari-Grind and Skew attachments also if I go with the ONEWAY. I can't really do much till the bandages come off Thurs. (Carpal Tunnel surgury) but I can still use my fingers on the hand so I figured I'd sharpen my turning tools. :) Hoping the Dr. will OK turning as Therapy! No lifting or straining it so flat work is out for a while. :( SWMBO's not happy as I still have to finish the cab's by Spring. (Was kind'a scared to use the power tools with numb hands, :( hoping to re-locate to Tenn. next year. :D )

Thanks,

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-04-2003, 6:01 PM
Joe, I bought the Wolverine System right after I decided to get the Lathe. It does an outstanding job on the various profiles of Turning Tools. I also bought the Vari-Grind Jig when I bought the basic system, and I really like it for the Bowl Gouges. I also took a look at the Tormek System, but all I really needed was something to sharpen my Turning Tools. I posted here about the Wolverine System, and everyone that uses it seems to have nothing but good to say about it, so that was my choice. It sure is easy to keep a good, repeatable edge
& profile on your tools using the Wolverine Jig. I would rather spend my time turning or doing ANYTHING than sharpening tools........and this system makes quick work of that. Hope you are feeling better Joe, and you are back to the shop in no time! :D

Richard Allen
10-04-2003, 6:11 PM
The oneway system is terrific for sharpening turning tools. As you know you need a bench grinder to go with it. There is also a little work to set-up the jig with the grinder. Not much effort but there is mounting the grinder to a board and mounting the Wolverine guides to the board at specific locations under the grinding wheels. I don't know if that sort of set-up is within the scope of your recovery.

Once the system is set-up the the effort to sharpen is very slight.

Good luck with your recovery.

Charles McKinley
10-04-2003, 6:22 PM
Hi Joe,

Woodcraft has the jigs on sale through the end of the month.

Phil Phelps
10-04-2003, 8:50 PM
......hope your recovery is short, and your back to full service soon. ;)

Mark Hulette
10-04-2003, 8:56 PM
Joe-

I have the Wolverine w/ the Vari-grind jig. In short, I'm like Kevin and I'd rather do anything but sharpen tools. I got to try out the vari-grind today for the first time and believe me I was totally surprised to see the kind of edge I got on the FIRST try. Needless to say I was well pleased. I recommend it completely. If you have a 6" grinder, you'll need to adjust the mounting platform for clearance purposes.

Good Luck!

David Klug
10-04-2003, 9:05 PM
Joe I hope you recover quickly so you can start making sawdust soon.

Dave

Jim Becker
10-04-2003, 9:06 PM
The Wolverine is pretty much the defacto-standard for which other turning tool sharpening jigs are judged. Even long-time turning experts who traditionaly swore up and down that they prefered to free-hand grind rather than use a jig have adopted them. Why? Consistancy. This jig combined with a nice 8" grinder and quality AO (white, pink or blue) wheels is a good system, IMHO.

The next issue of WOOD Magazine (November 2003) will feature an article on using the Wolverine on page 92 that you might find useful. It includes side-grind suggestions using the Wolverine Vari-Grind, too.

Anthony Yakonick
10-04-2003, 10:56 PM
I have the Oneway and I think it's the Only way, I know of no one that has anything else if they use a jig.

Here's a convesation I had after my Carpel tunnel surgery in 2000.

First time (right hand)
Nurse (while removing bandages) "Have you been turning wood"
Me. "Yes"
Nurse. " Well don't!"

After the second time (Left hand)
Me. "A few stitches popped"
Nurse. " I wonder why"
I was doing small production runs within two weeks. My Doc and therapist said if it hurts don't do it, so I took it easy but got some turning done while I was off.

Anthony

Joe Tonich
10-05-2003, 8:18 AM
I have the Oneway and I think it's the Only way, I know of no one that has anything else if they use a jig.

Here's a convesation I had after my Carpel tunnel surgery in 2000.

First time (right hand)
Nurse (while removing bandages) "Have you been turning wood"
Me. "Yes"
Nurse. " Well don't!"

After the second time (Left hand)
Me. "A few stitches popped"
Nurse. " I wonder why"
I was doing small production runs within two weeks. My Doc and therapist said if it hurts don't do it, so I took it easy but got some turning done while I was off.

Anthony

Thanks,

The bandage is so thick I can't really grip anything tight but it should be off & stitches out Thurs. :D Left hand will hopefully be done on the 16th & I figure THATS the one I'll get hollered at. :p 6wks. off work will drive me CRAZY if I can't work on something!!!

Joe

Joe Tonich
10-05-2003, 8:25 AM
Thanks All,

I'm going to ROCKLERS this morning to "Wheel & Deal" for the ONEWAY jig. Hopefully he'll come down to WOODCRAFTS price +. ;) It's :cool: that I can actually feel things in my right hand again!

Thanks again,

Joe

Bob Janka
10-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Folks,

Like just about everyone else, I too LOVE the fine, repeatable grind I get when using the Oneway Wolverine Grinding Jig. I was helping out with a Woodturning class at the NCSU Craft Center a couple of weeks ago. The instructor asked me to sharpen a few of the bowl gouges while he demonstrated to the students. I was using the Vari-Grind jig and had successfully re-shaped two gouges to beautiful edges (single hollow-ground facet across the entire fingernail edge).

Then, it happened. I looked to make sure the heel of the Vari-Grind was properly seated in the V-bar and BANG! The edge I was grinding slid off the 8" wheel and the rotation slammed it into the spark guard. The wheel stopped very suddenly and I moved quickly to turn off the motor before it burned out. The gouge seems OK and the wheel now has two 1/2" divots on the edges near the slam-down. We dressed the wheel the next week with Bill's diamond-bar dresser and it seems to be working again.

NOTE: When using the Vari-Grind jig, CONCENTRATE on the tool edge and keeping it centered on the wheel!!

Cheers,
Bob -- happy use of the Wolverine Jig

P.S. After dressing the wheel, I finished tuning up all of the remaining gouges (6-8). Still working just fine!

Steven Wilson
10-07-2003, 5:53 PM
The Oneway is a nice system - couple that with a good Baldor grinder and your all set. Anyhow, I use a Tormek and find that the SVD-185 (or older SVD-180) jig provides the same range of sharpening motion as the Oneway Varigrind which shouldn't be a surprise since the design and range of adjustments are similar. I find the edge off of the Tormek (using the stone grader) is better and lasts longer than off the Oneway using 120 grit wheel but either system produces very decent results. Setting up the Tormek or Oneway system to resharpen a gouge takes about the same amount of time on either system. One of these days I'll probably add a dry grinder to my shop (for other metal working tasks) and if so will probably add the Oneway system as it's a great value. Besides, I'm itching to try the Ellsworth grinding jig on a 5/8" bowl gouge to try the difference between the wing shapes produced by the Tormek/Oneway jigs (they produce similar profiles) and the Ellsworth grind. I could probably rig up an Ellsworth jig on my Tormek but grinding a new profile on the Tormek is a pain.

Glenn Hodges
10-07-2003, 7:57 PM
Anyone have this sharpening system? I was looking at both, this and the TORMAK system. The TORMAK is nice but all the attachments are REALLY expensive! The ONEWAY jig looks like it is all I need. I was thinking on getting the Vari-Grind and Skew attachments also if I go with the ONEWAY. I can't really do much till the bandages come off Thurs. (Carpal Tunnel surgury) but I can still use my fingers on the hand so I figured I'd sharpen my turning tools. :) Hoping the Dr. will OK turning as Therapy! No lifting or straining it so flat work is out for a while. :( SWMBO's not happy as I still have to finish the cab's by Spring. (Was kind'a scared to use the power tools with numb hands, :( hoping to re-locate to Tenn. next year. :D )

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, I use to sharpen knives at gun and knife shows. When I started turning I thought I could sharpen bowl gouges by hand, I could, but my bowl gouges got to short to soon. I broke down and bought the Woverine and now I can sharpen the gouges fast and my gouges last for a long time... live and learn.

Joe Tonich
10-07-2003, 8:23 PM
Thanks all. :D I picked up the jig today. Couldn't pass up the deal. $75 + tax - $81 out the door. They didn't have the vari-jig (it's on order) so I have to wait on that. :(

Thanks again,

Joe