PDA

View Full Version : What wood and Finish?

Mike Hill
08-22-2006, 9:08 AM
My oldest Daughter has asked for a T.V. stand to hold their medium sized rear projection T.V. She wants it "similar" to the furniture they already have. The picture is of their "Texas Like" coffee table. My questions is, what type of wood to use for the T.V. stand and what this finish is? I think it looks like Pine and some kind of wipe on clear oil. Would appreciate some input from the Creekers on what this may be.

The stand Will be 45" wide and 34" deep. Legs will be 10 to 12" high. This low height will bring the T.V. up to a decent viewing level. The challenge will be to make the top substantial so it will not sag under the weight of the T.V. Would also appreciate it if anyone has seen a low table of this nature or knows of a design. This is a Christmas present for Wendy and her Husband.
Thanks
Mike

Tom Jones III
08-22-2006, 1:58 PM
Looks like you could use pine, oak or poplar and stain it to look very similar. A "Texas" upgrade that would look very nice is to use pecan/hickory

Mike Hill
08-22-2006, 3:54 PM
Tom: Pecan sure makes for good smoked ribs and I know I can get some here locally. Great idea! Any ideas on the stain? Sure isn't much color in it. 106 degrees here yesterday and we have had three power "Brown Outs" since Sunday. Send us some of that Houston rain.
Mike

Brian Hale
08-22-2006, 4:08 PM
My first thought for a stain is Minwax Fruitwood with a semi gloss lacquer finish rubbed out with #0000 steel wool.

Tom Jones III
08-22-2006, 4:12 PM
With stain you just have to buy a few and try it out but I would start with "Honey Oak" stain.

Mike Hill
08-22-2006, 4:41 PM
My first thought for a stain is Minwax Fruitwood with a semi gloss lacquer finish rubbed out with #0000 steel wool.

Brian: I usually use Lacquer and I bet your correct. The hard finish should protect the surface. I'll have them put some pads pods on the base of the TV.
Tanks
Mike

Mike Hill
08-22-2006, 4:43 PM
With stain you just have to buy a few and try it out but I would start with "Honey Oak" stain.

Tom: Honey Oak is a good guess and I'll try Brian;s recommendations also.
Thanks
Mike