PDA

View Full Version : Spalting Question / New Shop Pic

Jason Christenson
08-22-2006, 8:57 AM
This weekend I finally got to spend some time setting up my new shop, (see picture) when I came across some bowl blanks that I cut at the beginning of the summer and then forgot about. They were tied up in garbage bags for several months and are extremely moldy. My question is this, if I had left them wrapped up, could this have been the beginning of spalting?

Corey Hallagan
08-22-2006, 9:11 AM
Great looking set up! Nice job. On the spalting I would say yes and they are probably lightly spalted now.

Corey

Stephen Hibbs
08-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Yep, they may look moldy only on the outside, but they are also probably moldy on the inside too! I had a couple pine blanks like that that got neglected and when I opened them up they were much more interesting. If you're lucky you can get some cool stuff from spalting as I did. I didn't think it could happen to sealed blanks in a bag in a room, but it did.

Myrel Willeford
08-23-2006, 10:42 PM
I have two pieces of sweetgum in a black plastic bag right now spalting. They have been there about the same amount of time mine were moldy and black in places I put them back in the bag and am going to leave them for another month and see what happens. I did it once before on accident and they turned out nice. I am not sure how long is too long though.

Barry Stratton
08-23-2006, 10:58 PM
VERY NICE shop!!! I see where you will be when the tornado warnings go off.......... Can't help you on the spalting question.......

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Nice looking shop. Yes I believe it will be spalted.