PDA

View Full Version : Vix-bits

Phil Winn
08-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Vix-bits
I am thinking about purchasing some Vix-bits for drill hinges etc.
Questions:
1. Are the original “Vix” bits made by “Vix-Bits”?
2. Do the original come only with round shafts or also hex? Does it make a difference?
3. Are the originals better than the copies?
4. Best place to buy them?
5. What sizes to purchase for furniture making/woodworking—from small little Brusso brass jewelry box hinges, to cabinet hinges, and the occasional house door hinge?
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,or some others?
6. Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Phil

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Do they make them that small? I haven't seen anything in the catalogs smaller than #4...a #2 would make installing those tiny flat hinges I use for boxes a lot easier.

Steve Clardy
08-22-2006, 1:50 AM
Rockler has a good set of three.

Charlie Plesums
08-22-2006, 8:47 AM
I would take a good look at the screws you actually use before buying special bits...

Practically all the screws I use in building furniture are #8
From my perspective #10 and larger seem to be for construction or casters
Most of the hinge and slide screws seem to be #6
The only time I have seen a #7 screw was a stainless steel finish screw (small head) normally used for deckingTherefore if I were buying VixBits I might consider a #6 and maybe a #8, certainly not all 13 sizes that you listed.

Jim Becker
08-22-2006, 8:58 AM
I have hex-shaft "vix" bits in three sizes...probably from Lee Valley or Rockler, but I don't remember.

While I understand the comments from folks about not needing the smaller ones from a certain practicality standpoint, you do mention making small boxes with the really small hinges. I can see the value...IF...they make them that small. But you have to balance the cost of the bits, the propensity of small bits to break (I've snapped off the #6 twice) and the easy and speed of just using a small awl for the really small hinges.

Joe Scarfo
08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I have a collection of vix bits from stanley. What I like is they have both the drill bit and the driver bit in the same piece.

I drill the hole, then flip the insert to drill the screw. They're fantastic and cheap too. I got them for about $5 each.

I don't know the rules about posting links to commercial sites so I'll avoid the potential embarassment. If you need more information, I'll email you links if you want. I've given them as gifts to other woodworkers and they've loved them.

Thanks and good luck
Joe

glenn bradley
08-22-2006, 11:04 AM
If you want a first set to try out, I'm with Steve. . . Rockler has a set of 3 (#6, 8 and 10) that I got just to see if I liked Vix bits. I have yet to add to the set but I'm just a hobbiest.

They are pretty well made and have been used quite a bit over the last year or so. Hex shanks, replaceable bits (although you'd be hard pressed to break one) and adjustable depth. Come in a pouch with the hex key, about $20.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10610&SearchHandle=DADBDADHDADADDDGDADFDBDADDDBGCGCCNGBG FGBDDCNDEDFDIDACNDJDDDEGDCNDJDIGBGCDBDIGGDDDHDDDIG DDADADADBDADADADADJGDGFGOHEGFHCGJGOGHDADADADEDADAD ADADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADADADADADBDAD ADADADJGDGFGOHEGFHCGJGOGHDADADADBDB&filter=centering

I know, I know, Rockler's links are psychotic!

Chris Padilla
08-22-2006, 11:15 AM
http://tinyurl.com/pbbgk is now that really long-winded link mr. bradley posted.... :)

www.tinyurl.com (http://www.tinyurl.com) turns very long links into short ones...handy site.

glenn bradley
08-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Chris, thanks for the tip :D . I often don't add the links just because some of them are longer winded than I am.

Steve Clardy
08-22-2006, 11:33 AM
I have a collection of vix bits from stanley. What I like is they have both the drill bit and the driver bit in the same piece.

I drill the hole, then flip the insert to drill the screw. They're fantastic and cheap too. I got them for about $5 each.

I don't know the rules about posting links to commercial sites so I'll avoid the potential embarassment. If you need more information, I'll email you links if you want. I've given them as gifts to other woodworkers and they've loved them.

Thanks and good luck
Joe

Joe. These are vix bits. Maybe you are talking about drill and drive bits?:)

Joe Scarfo
08-23-2006, 1:17 AM
Steve,

I recall they're vix bits.. I use them to drill holes for cabinet hinges..

I haven't used them in a while since they're in storage from having relocated to WI from Tampa.. Tomorrow I'll drive by and pull'em out..

I could be wrong..

Joe...

Lee DeRaud
08-23-2006, 2:02 AM
Steve, what Joe probably has is the Stanley version of this:
(which for all I know is made by Stanley for Sears anyway.)

Steve Clardy
08-23-2006, 2:10 AM
Hey neat!! Never seen a drill and drive with a vix bit.:o

Learn something about everyday:eek: :) :)