PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Tour............ The Video........

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-21-2006, 10:41 PM
OK, I did a Dungeon Tour, this time on video!

Stu's Dungeon Tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzgAczlG_lo)

Hope it is not too boring!

Cheers!:D

Corey Hallagan
08-21-2006, 10:50 PM
That was great Stu! I had no idea that is how you got into the dungeon! Very cool and the bat cave is even cooler. I think this is our first video tour!

Corey

Tom Hamilton
08-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the walk around tour. What a great space you have created. Thanks for sharing. Tom

Joe Mioux
08-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Stu that was great!

It appears your dungeon has filled up since I first saw it. I remember looking at your shop (your site) before you joined SMC.

Thanks for tour

Joe

Gary Swart
08-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Stu, you are a very clever and talented man! Most of us complain that a 2 car garage isn't big enough for a shop, and you pack more stuff into the dungeon than one can imagine. BTW, you also turn out some excellent work.:)

08-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys, I took a couple takes, as my little digital camera only takes 5:54 seconds of video (the card is not so big) at one time, I had to fit it all in in under 6 minutes.

The video is a little shaky, but I hope you can get an idea.

Not hard to do, I just shot it, converted it to an AVI format (from 128 Mb to 36 Mb) and then uploaded it to YouTube.com.

Cheers!

Frankie Hunt
08-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Awesome tour! Thanks for sharing!

You have raised the bar in shop tours now, having video and sound instead of just showing pictures.

Ted Jay
08-21-2006, 11:07 PM
OK, I did a Dungeon Tour, this time on video!

Dungeon Tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqYunJBgWo4)

Hope it is not too boring!

Cheers!:D
I like the song in the background... I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so I'm turning Japanese...... By the Vapors
Cool Place to hide away!!!
Ted

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Stu...................You're really gettin' into this Video stuff! Well done!

Bruce

Matt Meiser
08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Very cool, both the shop and the presentation!

08-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Awesome tour! Thanks for sharing!

You have raised the bar in shop tours now, having video and sound instead of just showing pictures.

Hey, way less typing and pic editing, in other words, I'm lazy!! :D

Thanks guys, glad you enjpoyed it! :o

Greg Koch
08-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Stu...very cool, especially using your regular digital camera (not videocam). It's great seeing where "McStu" comes up with some of the stuff you do! LOL

Oh, next time....swing by your TS! :eek:

:D :D

Greg

Bruce Page
08-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Great tour Stu!
Thanks for showing us your space!

Allen Bookout
08-21-2006, 11:42 PM
That is very interesting. The one thing that puzzles me is how you get your sheetgoods and tools in and out of there. There must be another way in and out other than the dungeon door with the steep stairs.

Allen

Mark Rios
08-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Stu, your video tour was wonderful. Your shop/dungeon is as amazing as you and your talents. Well done.

Vaughn McMillan
08-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Cool tour, Stu. Looks like the dungeon has evolved as your needs have. Quite a place indeed.

I can just picture LOML wanting something out of the box of Christmas decorations in the far back reaches of the Annex. :p

Are you going to upload the Logging in Tokyo video to YouTube? :D I think the masses would love it.

- Vaughn

08-22-2006, 12:10 AM
That is very interesting. The one thing that puzzles me is how you get your sheetgoods and tools in and out of there. There must be another way in and out other than the dungeon door with the steep stairs.

Allen

Nope only the one hatch.

Remember the sheetgoods here are 3' x 6'. The hatch is only 2/3 open in the video, if I need to move something really big, I can open it to 4'x4' which is a fairly big hole :rolleyes:

Also remember, I'm in Japan, we don't make HUGE entertainment centers etc, as we don't have HUGE living spaces.

Cheers!

08-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Cool tour, Stu. Looks like the dungeon has evolved as your needs have. Quite a place indeed.

I can just picture LOML wanting something out of the box of Christmas decorations in the far back reaches of the Annex. :p

Are you going to upload the Logging in Tokyo video to YouTube? :D I think the masses would love it.

- Vaughn

Great idea!!:D

Randal Stevenson
08-22-2006, 1:00 AM
I didn't see one thing in your shop, a tablesaw! LOL

I first saw your website a while back (two years maybe), it's evolved, and a GOOD reminder, that people can really do some great work, with little space and fewer tools (NOT saying you have fewer tools anymore).
Thanks

Larry Cooke
08-22-2006, 1:18 AM
Stu, that was cool! You have really mastered the space down there.

Something else I noticed, you didn't say 'eh' once. Now really, what kind of Canadian are you? :D

Thanks for the tour, I enjoyed it.

Larry

08-22-2006, 1:34 AM
I didn't see one thing in your shop, a tablesaw! LOL

I first saw your website a while back (two years maybe), it's evolved, and a GOOD reminder, that people can really do some great work, with little space and fewer tools (NOT saying you have fewer tools anymore).
Thanks

Whoops, I forgot that, I guess as I don't use it much anymore, since I got the Festool TS55 :D

It is there, a DeWalt 744..........

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/router_table/rt_t_slot_1st_cut_done2.jpg

Cheers!

08-22-2006, 2:27 AM
Stu, that was cool! You have really mastered the space down there.

Something else I noticed, you didn't say 'eh' once. Now really, what kind of Canadian are you? :D

Thanks for the tour, I enjoyed it.

Larry

I'm the kind of Canadian who has not lived in Canada for 16 years............ eh.........:D

Bob Childress
08-22-2006, 6:48 AM
Great tour Stu! Maybe you will inspire more Creekers to produce videos.

The dungeon is awesome, but the Bat Cave--Godzilla will never find you in there.:D :D :D

Marty Walsh
08-22-2006, 6:50 AM
Stu,

Thanks for the great tour! After seeing the dungeon like that, and how crammed full you have it, you'd probably get lost in my new shop...;)

- Marty -

08-22-2006, 7:05 AM
Stu,

Thanks for the great tour! After seeing the dungeon like that, and how crammed full you have it, you'd probably get lost in my new shop...;)

- Marty -

Marty, I think you shop is bigger than the gymnasium at my kids school! :eek:

yea, my shop might be as big as your office space :D

But.......... It is MY SHOP!! :D

I know pro carpenters here who have less space.

Cheers!

John Lucas
08-22-2006, 7:13 AM
That was a first and a great one at that. You went to fast. There is so much little celver details to see. I think the water collection is number one on clever as is the roll out jointer. Thanks for posting. It is going to be a long time before I can do a video...shop will never get that organized and clean.

08-22-2006, 7:28 AM
That was a first and a great one at that. You went to fast. There is so much little celver details to see. I think the water collection is number one on clever as is the roll out jointer. Thanks for posting. It is going to be a long time before I can do a video...shop will never get that organized and clean.

Thanks John, I want to buy a new video camera, the one we have is super 8 :o:o

I think this might be the thing that puts me over the line to pull the trigger, of course, it will be for taking vids of the kids........ :rolleyes: ;) :D

The card on my camera only allows 6 minutes, so maybe I'll do some more spots :D

Cheers!

Richard Wolf
08-22-2006, 7:30 AM
Great job Stu. Nice use of space.

Richard

Kyle Kraft
08-22-2006, 7:43 AM
Stu,

What a great video tour!! I love it!! There should be a section of the forum just for videos of shops, techniques, and wood related stuff.

Jim Becker
08-22-2006, 9:07 AM
Very kewel!! Thanks for the introduction to your shop, Stu. Not your average "hole in the...err...wall".

Mike Hill
08-22-2006, 9:35 AM
Stu: I spent some time in Korea in the Air Force and visited Tokyo several times. I know for a fact that space is at a premium, but your Dungeon proves the point. You have done a fantastic job of utilizing your space and I will now quit complaining about my 2 car garage. In fact, your tour gave me a few ideas for getting better use of the space I have. Keep up the good work!
Mike

Frank Fusco
08-22-2006, 9:37 AM
Stu, that's amazing. Calling it compact seems like an understatement. Your economical use of limited space is ingenius. Most of us would not have the patience or inclination to do what you have done. We would find another avocation. Way to go and atta boy!

Bob Noles
08-22-2006, 9:49 AM
Stu,

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... you have one of the most interesting shops around and seeing it on video reinforces that statement even more.

One suggestion you may want to consider is painting a bullseye on the floor below the dungeon door. This way you have something to aim at when dropping those machines from above :eek: :D

Seriously.... I am going to watch the video several more times to see what ideas I can steal... err, I mean borrow from you.

Thanks for a great post and job well done.

Art Mulder
08-22-2006, 9:49 AM
Something else I noticed, you didn't say 'eh' once. Now really, what kind of Canadian are you?

Larry, Larry, Larry.... you can't force the "eh", or it sounds about as natural as Bob+Doug McKenzie (and one of them was NOT Canadian).

It just needs to flow. Some use it a lot, some a little, it depends on the person and the region.

Nice tour, Stu. So.. is there an escape hatch out of the annex? No cars parked on top of the hatch? Do you have a telephone or intercom wired in? Seems like you'd want a way to call for help, and I doubt that a cellphone would work through all that concrete.

best,
...art

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Today I learned something:
That I have no xx clue how to organize anything.

Man oh Man have you got a lot going on in that space. And all of it goes down that stairway. Woo Hoo

08-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Larry, Larry, Larry.... you can't force the "eh", or it sounds about as natural as Bob+Doug McKenzie (and one of them was NOT Canadian).

It just needs to flow. Some use it a lot, some a little, it depends on the person and the region.

Nice tour, Stu. So.. is there an escape hatch out of the annex? No cars parked on top of the hatch? Do you have a telephone or intercom wired in? Seems like you'd want a way to call for help, and I doubt that a cellphone would work through all that concrete.

best,
...art

Hey Art, hows it going eh? ;) :D

I have an interphone connected to the 6th & 7th floor where we live, and I have a phone line out as well. There is another hatch from the Annex, but there is also usually a car parked over it, but at least I would have some where to go if a fire (God forbid) started, it would give me some time. Also the cell phone works if it is left on the top stair, and it works fine from anywhere in the Annex, go figure.

Cheers!

08-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Stu, that's amazing. Calling it compact seems like an understatement. Your economical use of limited space is ingenious. Most of us would not have the patience or inclination to do what you have done. We would find another avocation. Way to go and atta boy!

Necessity is the Mother of Invention, or so they say! :D

tod evans
08-22-2006, 10:38 AM
geeze stu! first thing that comes to mind is a shoehorn and a big hammer:rolleyes: , you`ve gotta lot of stuff packed in there and manage to put out some cool stuff. thanks for the walk-about. tod

Jason Roehl
08-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Stu, nice shop and you definitely have a bunch of stuff packed into a very small space. What are the dimensions?

08-22-2006, 11:11 AM
It is a big image, sorry about that, but this gives you an idea..........

14' x 23'

Cheers!

Mark Pruitt
08-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Great use of space! Enjoyed the tour. It hurts just thinking about how you got all that equipment down there!
Mark

John Timberlake
08-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Love the tour and the other turning videos. Seems like a lot of space of Tokyo, even if it in the dungeon. Great set up.

08-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Love the tour and the other turning videos. Seems like a lot of space of Tokyo, even if it in the dungeon. Great set up.

Yep, a lot of space, I count myself luck!

Cheers!

Art Mulder
08-22-2006, 12:18 PM
14' x 23'

Hey! That's bigger than my shop!!! :mad::mad::rolleyes:

I'm 11x23, and I have to put up with some household storage in the corner.

Hmm, I think you'd be right at home in my shop, Stu. I also have stairs in the middle of the house, so everything gets carried up and down.

The main difference is that I leave the planer in the garage, and usually cut up sheet goods before bringing them down.

Click to see: 42383

08-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey! That's bigger than my shop!!! :mad::mad::rolleyes:

I'm 11x23, and I have to put up with some household storage in the corner.

Hmm, I think you'd be right at home in my shop, Stu. I also have stairs in the middle of the house, so everything gets carried up and down.

The main difference is that I leave the planer in the garage, and usually cut up sheet goods before bringing them down.

Click to see: 42383

Ya sure, but don't forget, mine is in metric, so it is actually smaller ......... :rolleyes: ;) :D

I'm not complaining, it is bigger than almost anyone I know here in Tokyo.

Cheers!

Jim Benante
08-22-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm the kind of Canadian who has not lived in Canada for 16 years............ eh.........:D

My wife is a Canadian and she has lost a little of the accent and manner of speech. Send her home for a week and it's all back. You may not have used eh, but you have not lost the accent, pace, or rythym.

Great little hole in the ground you have there.

Seems like her family and friends are quite ingenious also. If we move to Canada will I pick up any of this? I could sure use some cleverness in my garage shop.

Jim Hinze
08-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Stu, great video tour. You've done a helluv a job with that tight space.

08-22-2006, 12:53 PM
My wife is a Canadian and she has lost a little of the accent and manner of speech. Send her home for a week and it's all back. You may not have used eh, but you have not lost the accent, pace, or rythym.

Great little hole in the ground you have there.

Seems like her family and friends are quite ingenious also. If we move to Canada will I pick up any of this? I could sure use some cleverness in my garage shop.

I know what you mean, we go back, and I'm shocked by how much people say "Eh" eh.... :rolleyes: ;)

I grew up in a fairly small town, we lived in town but uncles and other family did not. We often just had to find a way to do it, with what we had on hand.

Cheers!

Keith Starosta
08-22-2006, 1:06 PM
Very, very cool, Stu!!

I think one of my favorite pieces is the use of condenced A/C vapor as a water source. How freaking cool is that?!

Your choice of music wasn't lost on me, either. Excellent!! :D :D

- Keith

08-22-2006, 1:10 PM
Ya the AC water thing is used a lot here, just because our AC makes so much water in the summer, so people use it to water plants etc, why not?

Some even have it plumbed to go into their toilets to flush them!

Under the sink is a sump with a sump pump on a float, when the tank fills up, there is an over flow to the sump, when the sump fills up it is pumped out to the sewer.

Works great.

Cheers!

Chris Padilla
08-22-2006, 1:24 PM
It's a Hobbit Hole! Thanks for the tour, Stu!

Lincoln Myers
08-22-2006, 2:08 PM
Very cool Stu, thanks for sharing.

-Linc

08-22-2006, 2:37 PM
It's a Hobbit Hole! Thanks for the tour, Stu!

My Fav Hobbit was Sam!

BTW, I fixed a glaring problem in the video tonight.........

Not brands you would know, but good beer just the same :D

Cheers, the cold beer kind! :D

Alan DuBoff
08-22-2006, 2:46 PM
Seeing your video brought back some memories seeing the main drag in Shinjuku Stu!

I'll get there eventually, we'll raise the roofs in the Kabuki-Cho when I do!

08-22-2006, 2:47 PM
That would be really cool Alan!

Beer is on me! ;)

Alan DuBoff
08-22-2006, 2:53 PM
That would be really cool Alan!

Beer is on me! ;)Stu, I don't drink beer, but I'll substitute some sake or chu-hi. I can almost taste those ume chu-hi drinks at the robata on the 2nd floor over towards the station...

A colleague of mine just moved to Japan for my company, and he's trying to get me over to give a presentation, so it could happen this year. I thought I was going to do a deal in Akihabara for them last year but they wouldn't let me do it during July, as it's hot, and that's when the family was going over.

I'll visit the dungeon eventually! :cool:

Geoff Barry
08-22-2006, 2:55 PM
Dang! Good thing you're not claustrophobic! That's an amazing use of space. One question - did you have that building built, and if so, why not a 'real' basement? And if not, what was the intended use for those cell-like rooms? Are basement storage spaces in Tokyo typically concrete cubes reached by hatches?

It makes me look at my cobbled together setup on my porch and think, man, I gotta be more organized . . .

Alan DuBoff
08-22-2006, 2:59 PM
Dang! Good thing you're not claustrophobic! Geoff,

Are you serious? Stu has more space in his dungeon that many folks have to live in, over in Japan. :D

I only had a 9 tatami apartment when I was there. I think the dungeon is bigger than that. Maybe not by much, but it's bigger!

08-22-2006, 3:02 PM
Dang! Good thing you're not claustrophobic! That's an amazing use of space. One question - did you have that building built, and if so, why not a 'real' basement? And if not, what was the intended use for those cell-like rooms? Are basement storage spaces in Tokyo typically concrete cubes reached by hatches?

It makes me look at my cobbled together setup on my porch and think, man, I gotta be more organized . . .

Yes, we built the building, and yes most storage rooms, they call them truck rooms are in the basement and access is through a hatch with a ladder!

The reason we cannot have it as real space for use is the tax laws (big surprise eh, the government is the stumbling block) they have rule for the amount of land you have and a formula for the amount of living or usable space allowed. For example the hallways in the building are NOT considered living or usable, so they don't count, were were slightly over with our design, so we had to make the hallways an extra yard deeper into the apartment on the end of each hallway to save this space, dumb eh?

If the Dungeon was designated as usable space, IE NOT a truck room we would have been WAY over the limit with their stupid formula.

Cheers!

08-22-2006, 3:03 PM
Geoff,

Are you serious? Stu has more space in his dungeon that many folks have to live in, over in Japan. :D

I only had a 9 tatami apartment when I was there. I think the dungeon is bigger than that. Maybe not by much, but it's bigger!

Ya, and I got the 30 year mortgage on a cool million bucks to pay back as well :D

08-22-2006, 3:04 PM
BTW Guys, on YouTube.com my Dungeon video made the top 20 in the category it is in, #17 in fact, nearly 500 views!

Cheers!

Ted Jay
08-22-2006, 7:39 PM
BTW Guys, on YouTube.com my Dungeon video made the top 20 in the category it is in, #17 in fact, nearly 500 views!

Cheers!
I'm glad to say I will be stea.... uuhh.. using, yea, using your idea on the rolling storage bin rack.

Okay, I'm going to ask... how and why did you end up in Tokyo?

Ted

Kelly C. Hanna
08-22-2006, 8:45 PM
Stu....fantastic video! I sure enjoyed seeing your shop...14x23 is bigger than my first 12x16 shop but you have 4 times what I had in mine!

I'll bet getting all that machinery down that hatch was very interesting!! Cool Batcave too!

I vote you in for having the most interesting shop on the web.

Ben Grunow
08-22-2006, 8:53 PM
Pretty cool Stu- do you leave the hatch open when you are in there? I would think that someone might park their motorcycle on the hatch if it were closed and suddenly you might be wishing you had more beer in the fridge.

My father was a fireman and he has made me paranoid- do you have fire extinguishers down there?

This might make me seem like I'm worried about a lot of things but its just what came to mind when I saw the open hatch in the video.

Jack Ferrell
08-22-2006, 8:54 PM
Thanks for the tour Stu. I was wondering what it was like down there. You seemed to have come up with some excellent solutions for cramped space utilization. Do you have any problems with ambient dust that floats around or does the cyclone handle most of it pretty well?

08-22-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm glad to say I will be stea.... uuhh.. using, yea, using your idea on the rolling storage bin rack.

Okay, I'm going to ask... how and why did you end up in Tokyo?

Ted

Simple, I got on this big airplane, and it landed at Narita, outside ot Tokyo, and then I got on a big bus and it drove to Tokyo................. :D

Actually, I came here for six months to study a martial art called Aikido......16 YEARS ago :D

08-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Pretty cool Stu- do you leave the hatch open when you are in there?
No, I don't, because of the noise I make and why advertise that I'm there? The crime rate here is low, but.....

I would think that someone might park their motorcycle on the hatch if it were closed and suddenly you might be wishing you had more beer in the fridge.
Not possible, the motorcycle thing, the hatch is behind my trailer.

My father was a fireman and he has made me paranoid- do you have fire extinguishers down there? Yes I have two of them, one at the base of the hatch stairs and on at the entrance to the Annex.

This might make me seem like I'm worried about a lot of things but its just what came to mind when I saw the open hatch in the video.

No problem, I appreciate the concern.

Cheers!

08-22-2006, 11:26 PM
...............Do you have any problems with ambient dust that floats around or does the cyclone handle most of it pretty well?

The cyclone does a VERY good job of getting the dust from the stationary machines, the shop vac an OK job on the others, but yes, there is an Ambient Dust problem.

I deal with it by having a "Dust Off" day. I open the hatch, turn on the exhaust, turn on the air cleaner, and the cyclone, then I put on my respirator, and take my long hose on the compressor and my air gun and blast the tops of all the pipes, and everywhere that dust settles :D

The air gets fairly dirty, and I vacate the Dungeon for 30 minutes or so, and then I do it again!

When all is done, I wipe down any flat surfaces I can with a wet rag, and that takes care of it. Maybe once every 2 or 3 months..?

Cheers!

Ted Jay
08-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Simple, I got on this big airplane, and it landed at Narita, outside ot Tokyo, and then I got on a big bus and it drove to Tokyo................. :D

Actually, I came here for six months to study a martial art called Aikido......16 YEARS ago :D

YEA........................ I'm a slow learner too.....:D

Mark Rios
08-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Wooohooo....OUr Stu is a You Tube Video Star!!!!

We knew him when...............:D :D :D

Alan DuBoff
08-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Ya, and I got the 30 year mortgage on a cool million bucks to pay back as well :DI can't believe I'm saying this, but I never thought I would think that any real estate in Tokyo was reasonable. Maybe it's because you're not really inside the Yamanote! (or are you?) Actually, you must be inside the Yamanote, as it runs from Shinjuku up to Takadanobaba (sp?). I 'spose your million doesn't include the land though... :eek:

Where I live the homes sell for over a million bucks, for a small 1500-1800 sq.ft. 3 bedroom family style home.

A million doesn't sound too bad for your place, you can rent the middle floors out.

I'm not complaining, I didn't pay near a million for mine! ;)

Whenever I build my next home, it's gonna have quite the shop, yes indeed...

(hoping to build the shop, to build the home)

08-23-2006, 2:18 AM
That is just the bank loan, not the other million we got in compensation, and no we lease the land.

Not cheap, only 39 tsubo or 1388 square feet, the land, not the building :D

Brad Schmid
08-23-2006, 4:02 AM
Stu,
Ok, I'm bummed! Your site is blocked in UAE:(

"We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates."

I'm certain this isn't really true, but nonetheless, I'll have to wait til I get back to the US to see Dungeon-the movie :mad: Maybe they're against woodworking since they have no trees here in the desert:confused: :)
cheers

08-23-2006, 4:06 AM
Brad, could I e-mail it to you?

FTP?

How about a torrent?

Cheers!

Vaughn McMillan
08-23-2006, 4:33 AM
Brad, could I e-mail it to you?

FTP?

How about a torrent?

Cheers! Stu, I'll bet You Tube is blocked for Brad by filtering software. (I get a similar message when I try to connect to You Tube from work, although they leave out the moral and religious stuff. :) ) I'll also bet if you simply host it on your website, he can get to it. You wouldn't need to make it public, other than to let Brad know it's there.

- Vaughn

Brad Schmid
08-23-2006, 4:59 AM
Vaughn's right, and I didn't pay attention to the fact it was Youtube. I have no problem getting to your personal site. Do you have it posted there already somewhere? If so, i'm sure i could get it directly. If not, i'll pm you my email address. gotta have something fun to do while i'm here;)
cheers

Brad Schmid
08-23-2006, 5:04 AM
Wow Vaughn, I just realized, I guess you're having your coffee early this morning:D

Tom Andersen
08-23-2006, 7:03 AM
My father was a fireman and he has made me paranoid- do you have fire extinguishers down there?

Stu, your workshop is so impressing but I concur with Ben, it seems that the fire hazard could be a real thing considering all the fine stuff and machinery in one place. And you seem to have only one exit... On the other hand, all the firemen need to do is to fill the cave with water...

08-23-2006, 7:29 AM
OK Brad, PM sent.

Tom, thanks for the concern, I too worry about it, one reason I do my best to keep the place clean. I do have another way out, sort of, through the Annex and then out the hatch, could be a tight fit, but I'm sure I could at the very least attract someone attention to move the van and I can call the FD from there too.

Cheers!

Frank Fusco
08-23-2006, 9:08 AM
It is a big image, sorry about that, but this gives you an idea..........

14' x 23'

Cheers!

:( Stu, that diagram burst my fantasy bubble. Your dungeon is bigger than my shop. My shop is an extra long one car garage 14'X27' but the first eight feet or so are taken up with other things. Nevertheless, you have compacted an amazing amount of 'stuff' into yours and you are very well organized. :) I can walk into my shop and carry tools outside to work in nice weather. Like others, the fire concern came to mind. Keep an extinguisher handy and don't play with matches.

Brad Schmid
08-23-2006, 9:34 AM
Hey Stu,
Cool tour, i liked it!
My 3 favorite parts:

1) your water supply system - :cool:
2) your sliding jointer - way :cool:
3) your sliding, swinging, shelf arrangement to get into another hidden room - didn't know you had that

It's been fun watching your whole shop evolve from way back when it was empty. You sure have made the best of that space!
Cheers

Jim Becker
08-23-2006, 9:47 AM
I'll also bet if you simply host it on your website, he can get to it. You wouldn't need to make it public, other than to let Brad know it's there.

Good solution if it has "limited distribution". When I put up our "Christmas 2005" video of the girls, I kinda forgot about "transfer" and ended up paying an extra $25 that month for my $5 hosting. (The links were provided to a lot of folks in the adoption community) That 6 minute video was over 18 meg of transfer per view 'cause I didn't want it to be a tiny image...you learn!

Joe Mioux
08-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey STu:

Your shop is great. Per previous post, I admired well before you were here at SMC, but I do have a question.

Do you ever feel like you are a squirrel or a chipmunk:D ?

Love your contribution here at SMC

Joe

08-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Hey STu:

Your shop is great. Per previous post, I admired well before you were here at SMC, but I do have a question.

Do you ever feel like you are a squirrel or a chipmunk:D ?

Love your contribution here at SMC

Joe

Only when I'm eating nuts ;) :D

Nope the space don't bother me at all, the only thing I miss is a view :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Vaughn McMillan
08-24-2006, 4:24 AM
Wow Vaughn, I just realized, I guess you're having your coffee early this morning:D
Nope...still working. (Actually, taking a break from working last night, as I am tonight.) We've got flex time at our office -- we can work any 20 hours of the day we want. ;) Actually, we're in the middle of a big project, so there have been lots of late nights for the past couple of months. I can get more work done in my home office from 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM than I can in a regular 8-hour workday at the corporate office, so I tend to work a later schedule than a lot of people. Lately, while we're in "crunch time", I've been going until 3:00 or 4:00 AM pretty much 7 days a week.

- Vaughn

Brad Schmid
08-24-2006, 6:21 AM
We've got flex time at our office -- we can work any 20 hours of the day we want. ;)
- Vaughn

Well isn't that mighty generous of them:D :D
Sounds like the same fringe benefits package I have:D :D :D
cheers!

Roger Wilson
08-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Stu a great video. I am always fascinated by your energy and ingenuity. One suggestion for the future, more stuff that is specifically Japanese. Not quite sure I know what that would be .......

As for the potential fire hazard of being in a concrete dungeon, why not install a sprinkler system. Since the zoning views it as a storage area they might not object.

08-26-2006, 3:53 PM
Stu a great video. I am always fascinated by your energy and ingenuity. One suggestion for the future, more stuff that is specifically Japanese. Not quite sure I know what that would be .......

As for the potential fire hazard of being in a concrete dungeon, why not install a sprinkler system. Since the zoning views it as a storage area they might not object.

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the sprinkler system, I asked for it, they DO NOT do it in residential buildings........... :eek:

Dave Ray
08-26-2006, 6:34 PM
Great tour Stu, I look forward to all your emails.... this one is the icing on the cake.

Gail O'Rourke
08-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Stu, I just finally had time to sit down and view our video. I love it! From the batcave to the safety glass, your amazing organization skills to your fine woodworking....determination. I love it.

Keep up the good work.

08-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks Gail and Dave, it was actually fun to make!

I sure hope others do something similar.

Cheers!

Jay Knoll
09-17-2006, 5:11 PM
Stu

I saw this post when I didn't have high speed access, now that I'm back online in proper fashion I can't find your link! Is the tour still available?

Thanks

Jay

09-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Sent you a PM Jay.

Cheers!

09-22-2006, 1:34 PM
The video is back online at YouTube.com, it is a bit shorter and somewhat smaller, only 20 Mb this time.

Stu's Dungeon Tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzgAczlG_lo) <- It's a link, click it!!

Cheers!

Jim O'Dell
09-22-2006, 6:14 PM
Very cool, Stu. One thing I did find interesting, I expected the cyclone to be a lot louder!! :D Jim.

CNC Darren
09-22-2006, 7:49 PM
Is there still a way to see the tour?

Thanks
Darren

Joe Mioux
09-22-2006, 8:20 PM
Is there still a way to see the tour?

Thanks
Darren

Yea go to the link Stu provided in the original post.

J

09-22-2006, 9:31 PM
Yea go to the link Stu provided in the original post.

J

Or in the post just before this one (for me) I just made is a bit more obvious.....

Enjoy!