PDA

View Full Version : Three NE's from the weekend...

Mark Pruitt
08-21-2006, 8:23 PM
...only rough-turned, ready for a DNA dip. Two of them, the oak vase and the pine bowl, may not survive but we'll see. They are my 7th 8th and 9th bowls. This is becoming more addictive!

I welcome comments, especially as these are only in rough form; they can and will be slightly modified during final turning. Additionally, I have two blanks identical in size to the blank used for the oak vase, and I would welcome suggestions for them as well.

Mark

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-21-2006, 8:49 PM
Good lookin' start, Mark. Can't wait to see them finished.

Bruce

Don Baer
08-21-2006, 8:53 PM
I need to take these new glasses back, I can see em.

Never mind I see em now.

Corey Hallagan
08-21-2006, 9:16 PM
I especially like the vase. Don't often see a piece like this. Nice job.

Corey

Mark Pruitt
08-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks. The vase is my favorite of the three, partly because it was "different" and a little more challenging. Oddly, my wife didn't seem to like it. That's OK, it'll look good in my office!:D
Mark

Mark Cothren
08-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Good work, Mark! Look forward to seeing them finished up.

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Great start. Can't wait to see them finished.

Jerry Ingraham
08-22-2006, 2:23 PM
Having just done my first NE bowl last weekend, I have a new appreciation for it! Nice job and great designs. I was wondering if you can DNA soak NE's without any problems. Have you done it before? Is there any consequence to it?
Jerry

Mark Pruitt
08-22-2006, 4:15 PM
Jerry, I thought about that very question last night before I put 'em in the DNA. My first instinct was to wait and ask around, but then I decided to just go ahead and give 'em the plunge. If I mess 'em up, well so be it. I will have learned something and it will not have cost me anything but a few hours at the lathe, which at this point is an end unto itself given my beginner status and need to practice, practice, practice.:rolleyes: I'll know something at 9:00 tonight...:rolleyes:
Mark

edit: They came out of the DNA tonight, and there is no visible effect on the edges. Everything is intact. Wrapped 'em in paper and they won't see the light of day for three weeks. I've never been very good at waiting....