PDA

View Full Version : Bonding question (wood-to-metal)

Rob Wilkins
08-21-2006, 8:20 PM
Along with trying to work out how to get the skew chisel to make nice shapes instead of random spirals I hadn't planned on, I'm trying to find an effective way to bond metal wire or pins into narrowly drilled holes so that they'll hold fairly strongly against tugging or being pulled on.

The wire and pins are being pushed into holes, but not through, so there's no way I can see for me to do anything to the end of the wire to make it hold. The most effective bond I've found so far is to rough up the surface of the wire I'm using with sandpaper, then apply a little E6000 - the bond works much better than with the smooth wire, but I'm finding that this will still often give way after not too long and let the wire slide back out.

So...I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on this. Is there a better method I could use, or a better choice of adhesive for the job? I'm out of superglue at the moment, so haven't had a chance to test it, but would it work better for this kind of bond than the E6000?

Mark Rios
08-21-2006, 8:23 PM
http://www.thistothat.com/

Rob Wilkins
08-21-2006, 8:24 PM
Woo...I think I like this site. A little annoying that it didn't show up when I searched the web for "bonding wood to metal", though.

Mark Rios
08-21-2006, 8:43 PM
Stinkin' search engines...............

:D

Frank Fusco
08-22-2006, 10:00 AM
A FWIW answer to your question. When I was about 8 or 9 years old, I made two knives with antler handles. I shaped the blades on my father's grinder, hogged out holes in the antler with a hand drill and used hot hide glue to secure the blades. I still have those knives and guarantee the blades could not be taken out with an act of Congress. I'm now 67. Vote for hide glue to hold yer pins.