PDA

View Full Version : Edges of doors and drawers

Phil Winn
08-21-2006, 8:13 PM
I am building large armoire, and was wondering about finishing the edges of the doors and the edges of the drawers with finish…I was planning on using Waterlox first two coats of the “Sealer” and then two coats of 50% Gloss Waterlox and 50% Satin Waterlox. What are the pros and cons of finishing the edges of the drawers and doors? The wood is Curly Mahogany.
Thanks,
Phil

Steve Jenkins
08-21-2006, 8:57 PM
I don't understand your question. It sounds like you might leave them unfinished? I can't imagine doing that.

Ian Gillis
08-21-2006, 9:08 PM
Finishing drawer boxes is optional, but if you coat the front of a door or drawer front you'll have to finish the edges too. It will look bizarre if you don't.

IG

Phil Winn
08-21-2006, 9:29 PM
The armoire..the top half has one pair of inset doors, the bottom half has
three "inset" drawers. My question is do I finish the wood around the perimeter of the doors and drawers fronts...I call this area the edges of the doors and drawers. Let’s say that the doors are 12” wide by 12” tall by 1” thick. The perimeter/edge is the 1” by 12” + 1” by 12” +1” by 12” +1” by 12” …this is the area which I wonder if it should or shouldn’t finish….Pros and cons....if the perimeter/edges are finished, then could the finish "stick" to the “carcass”? On the other hand, if I do not finish it, then could it cause swelling issues down the road?
Thanks,
Phil

John D Watson
08-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Finish required, Phil.

Bruce Page
08-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Phil,
Yes, you should finish the edges too. I have never seen them unfinished and I can't imagine why you'd want to. The doors and drawer fronts should not be actually touching anything so sticking should be a non issue.