PDA

View Full Version : Ode to Andy

Dennis Daudelin
08-21-2006, 4:19 PM
This post and my turning are based on the stimulation of reading Andy's recent tutorial on platters!

I've made many small platters and plates in the past. I have struggled through the vibrations of 3/4" wood and luckily had good results. Most have been cherry although I have used walnut and butternut too!

Andy's tutorial got me to thinking that I had not turned any platters in a while and that I did have some lumber put away just for that purpose. So, I glued it to a maple glue block about 4 inches in length and had at it. Here are 2 of the results:

http://www.daudelin.net/assets/Extra/tn_maple-platter.jpg

12" Maple cheese and cracker platter with 6" green marble tile and curly maple cheese knife. This one stands about 1.5" tall.

http://www.daudelin.net/assets/Extra/tn_mahogany-platter.jpg

15" Mahogany cheese and cracker platter with 6" white marble tile and mahogany cheese knife. This one stands about 2.5" tall.

These were both fun projects. I like to turn the face as the first step while it's on the glue block and then move the tool rest to the back and finish up all but the actual foot. Then I put the maple into the cole jaws and finished the foot. The mahogany was too large for the largest Oneway cole jaws so it was finished on the vacuum chuck.

Both are finished with Tung Oil Finish, about 6 or 7 coats and then Beall buffed.

They were both put into the woodturning show at the Brewster Ladies Library here on Cape Cod today. If you're nearby, the local club is set up there all week.

Since they were so much fun, I've got 2 more drying on the glue blocks!!

Dennis Daudelin
Cape Cod

Ed Scolforo
08-21-2006, 4:42 PM
Dennis: Very nice!!!

Tom Jones III
08-21-2006, 4:52 PM
Very cool. I like the marble, where did you get it?

You know that you have arrived when you get an ode to you.

Don Baer
08-21-2006, 5:08 PM
You know that you have arrived when you get an ode to you.

Or when you get old..:D

Great platers. I'd like ot know where you get the marble also.

Andy Hoyt
08-21-2006, 5:18 PM
....You know that you have arrived when you get an ode to you. Since I see no Greeks earning anything for me, I suspect something odious is afoot:D

Hey! Those are great looking Dennis. tres elegance'!

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-21-2006, 5:42 PM
Those are both beautiful, Dennis. You need to keep 'um commin'!

Bruce

Jim Becker
08-21-2006, 6:31 PM
I saw those on WoW...they are great, Dennis!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-21-2006, 7:15 PM
Look great, and the tile inlay is a very nice touch, Kudos!

How did you attach the tile to the wood?

Lou Morrissette
08-21-2006, 8:02 PM
Very nice work, Dennis. As a newbie turner, I'm truly inspired by this
quality of craftsmanship.
Where do you find your wood on the Cape? Here in Falmouth, I find some stock for my flat work at Woodsmiths.

Lou

Dennis Daudelin
08-21-2006, 8:05 PM
I appreciate the compliments :-)

The tiles are fun and easy to use. I just make a recess that's the same height as the tile itself. I got these at either at the local Woodcraft store or online at Craft Supplies. They both carry them in a variety of sizes (I think 3", 6" and 8").

I "glue" it in place with silicon sealer which comes in a small tube in the local hardware store. I put one ring completely around the outside of the recess to build a seal on the outside of the tile so that water doesn't get underneath it and then I put more in the middle like an "X" or a "*" to be the "glue" for the tile. I let it sit overnight before playing with it.

The cheese knife comes from Craft Supplies! They have a wonderful selection of kitchen ware! They have inexpensive and better quality models. The price differences are not significant so I always buy the higher quality ones.

Fun project, multiples pieces and great gifts!

Curt Fuller
08-21-2006, 9:55 PM
Those are very nice Dennis. I'm guessing you made the knives too. They really make a nice set.

Dennis Daudelin
08-22-2006, 6:29 AM
I had a couple more thoughts that were worth mentioning!

Since the granite tile is "rock hard" and is not going to move it's important to think through it's use! So:

1) I cut the recess large enough for movement of the wood not to squeeze the tile and break one of the two

2) I use silicon glue as the adhesive and water barrier. The main reason is that it stays flexible so that wood movement doesn't tear the tile apart. It would not be good to use a glue that hardens, ie; epoxy!!

Hi Lou, I get most of my woods off Cape (of course)... Downes and Reader in Stoughton have the best selection.

Mark Cothren
08-22-2006, 7:15 AM
I like 'em, Dennis! The tile looks good on the wood. Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Beautiful Dennis. I like the mahogany one with the marble center. Nice job.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-23-2006, 9:07 AM
Beautiful, Dennis, absolutely beautiful.