PDA

View Full Version : James Krenov

Brad Knabel
08-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Perhaps this is general knowledge, but I discovered a bit of sad news today. I was browsing the auction site to be unnamed and stumbled upon a Krenov-style plane. To quote the listing:

"At 86, JK has stopped making cabinets and is entertaining himself by building his beloved planes, making them available to those who value the quality of the tool as well as the history and art of a James Krenov plane. These planes are being auctioned off by JK himself, as he is entering the "new" age of technology and the internet."

Searching for James Krenov on the Bay will only turn up a handful of listings and this one should be easy to find. If you go to James Krenov's site (http://www.jameskrenov.com) and click on the Current Work link you'll find that things seem to be on the up-and-up.

It saddened me to find that this master is unable to continue making cabinets due to his eyesight. I'm glad that he's able to continue in this capacity. But his inability to make his trademark pieces is hard to hear.

Chris Barton
08-21-2006, 8:09 PM
I hope to make it to 86! If I am still woodworking then well, that would be gravy...