PDA

View Full Version : Laptop/desktop monitor question

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-21-2006, 11:58 AM
For somebody who's employed in IT, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to PCs and such...

My several year old desktop died awhile back. I've been using my laptop since then...but when everything's hooked up to it, it becomes rather 'non portable'.

I'm thinking about getting a new desktop, but don't know the difference in the 'what you see' quality between the Dell analog flat panel monitor, and the Ultra-sharp digital flat panel. If the laptop screen is analog, that's probably good enough for me and I'll save the bucks when I buy new.

Soooo....what do the geeks say?

KC

skip coyne
08-21-2006, 1:07 PM
I've been using my laptop since then...but when everything's hooked up to it, it becomes rather 'non portable'.

cant tell you on the monitor but I have a docking station for my laptop , push one button lift it up and its portable snap it back on the doking staion iand I use standard monitor /keyboard / mouse and power .

less than a minute its off and in the bag , same hooking it back up .

Joe Pelonio
08-21-2006, 1:15 PM
Not a geek by any means but do a lot of graphics. I have one of each. The digital ultra sharp is far superior and well worth the extra money
unless you are just doing word processing and e-mail.

Greg Koch
08-21-2006, 1:37 PM
I use a 20" Apple Cinema Wide Screen flat monitor, and just love it! The detail and clarity is amazing...and so easy on the eyes. I have friends that have purchased digital flat monitors from Dell, a lot cheaper than the Apple, and have great results. For clarity/detail, and ease on your eyes, I'd spend the $ and get the best you can.

Jim Becker
08-21-2006, 2:24 PM
Go digital if your computer support it! No question. When I switched, I found so much more comfort in my eyes it was unbelievable. The digitals tend to show detail and color a lot better, too, IMHO. I now have two digital LCD screens on my desk (one on this machine, my personal one...and one off the docking station for my work notebook) and wouldn't go back. My personal screen is a Dell Ultrasharp (older model). The one off my ThinkPig dock is a Benq. Frankly, I can't tell the difference at a quick glance, but I don't do any high-end graphics on the work machine.

Rick Doyle
08-21-2006, 2:42 PM
Hi Kirk,

I have the Dell 17" flat-screen ultra-sharp monitor - it's an analog monitor and it is just great. I doubt you would notice any difference in going to a digital monitor unless you were getting a display in excess of 21".

I know a few guys who have bought 'digital' displays only to discover that they then had to buy a digital DVI graphics card and then a DVI cable to hook it up to their PC - and, they couldn't tell much difference.

Some of the new monitors come with both types of connections - that's a good option if it's available - otherwise, just stick with a good flat-screen monitor - spend the extra bucks on more RAM!!

Jim Becker
08-21-2006, 3:34 PM
Rick is somewhat correct...the digital monitor will not matter if you do not have a DVI port on your video card. Using the regular analog connection gets you...analog quality. But you WILL notice a difference if you are using DVI. 19" LCD is getting pretty much to be the defacto standard these days...I cannot stand to work on smaller for long periods of time (as I must when I travel) as I run multiple windows, etc. Folks who "full screen" everything will still be happy with a 17" monitor in many cases.

Rick Doyle
08-22-2006, 1:24 AM
Rick is somewhat correct...the digital monitor will not matter if you do not have a DVI port on your video card. Using the regular analog connection gets you...analog quality. But you WILL notice a difference if you are using DVI.....
Jim, I don't dispute there is a difference between analog and digital re lcd computer displays. Digital is direct - analog is not. But, I'm not so sure that we're at the point yet where 19" displays are the defacto standard for computers. The overwhelming majority of pc users, and I'm guessing the large majority of users on this forum, are still using screens with a 17" maxium size.

My point is, that on a side-by-side comparison, the average computer user would not be able to distinguish between analog or digital on a good quality flat-screen of less than 21". I've looked closely at these and it is really hard to tell sometimes.

That is why, unless someone is doing high-end graphics or photo-editing, I would still recommend putting the extra bucks into more RAM, or even a faster processor.

Jim Becker
08-22-2006, 9:43 AM
Ok, I can accept that logic...

Frank Fusco
08-22-2006, 10:04 AM
I recently went from an analog 15" CRT to a 19" digi flat panel. The 'WOW!" factor is undeniable and easier on aging eyes. Mine is a $200.00 Wal-Mart special, well worth twice the money.

Rick Doyle
08-22-2006, 11:30 AM
I recently went from an analog 15" CRT to a 19" digi flat panel. The 'WOW!" factor is undeniable and easier on aging eyes. Mine is a $200.00 Wal-Mart special, well worth twice the money.
Hi Frank,

I'm just curious about your "Wal-Mart" special - it sounds like an incredible deal! Is it a 'digital' flat panel or an 'analog' flat panel? Flat panels come in both(or combo) configurations. Either way it's a good deal for a 19" display and either will produce the 'wow' factor compared to an old 15" crt.

If it's a digital for sure - I'd better get on down to WalMart and check it out!:D

Jason Roehl
08-22-2006, 7:13 PM
Hi Frank,

I'm just curious about your "Wal-Mart" special - it sounds like an incredible deal! Is it a 'digital' flat panel or an 'analog' flat panel? Flat panels come in both(or combo) configurations. Either way it's a good deal for a 19" display and either will produce the 'wow' factor compared to an old 15" crt.

If it's a digital for sure - I'd better get on down to WalMart and check it out!:D

I have a recently-purchased Samsung 931b 19" LCD that I bought at Sam's club for about $260 or so. I just saw it on sale (I think at Best Buy) for $209. It replaced a 19" CRT that I had scavenged out of a dumpster near Purdue's campus (you wouldn't BELIEVE what students throw away) and had used for about a year.

Joe Pelonio
08-22-2006, 7:24 PM
I still have an old "desperate backup" monitor in the closet that's a 14" CRT, I remember it cost me $400 back when. Hopefully I never have to use it.

Frank Fusco
08-23-2006, 9:28 AM
Hi Frank,

It is a DCLCD brand from The LCD Universe, $196.00. To boot, my wife is retired from WM and we get a 10% discount. :D Bit I digress. The clerk said it is a HP with a different label and $100.00 cheaper. Dunno if that is true but that's what he told me. The name means digital. Last time I was there they didn't have this brand anymore, but that's this store. Check and see what they have WM is funny in it's marketing, often specials are not repeated. I know I'm happy with my new monitor. :)

Hugh Jaskok
08-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi Kirk,

I have the Dell 17" flat-screen ultra-sharp monitor - it's an analog monitor and it is just great. I doubt you would notice any difference in going to a digital monitor unless you were getting a display in excess of 21".

I know a few guys who have bought 'digital' displays only to discover that they then had to buy a digital DVI graphics card and then a DVI cable to hook it up to their PC - and, they couldn't tell much difference.

Some of the new monitors come with both types of connections - that's a good option if it's available - otherwise, just stick with a good flat-screen monitor - spend the extra bucks on more RAM!!

Ditto on the Dell monitor and the extra RAM. By the way Rick, is that really your pic or are you a Kenny Rogers fan?

Donnie Raines
08-23-2006, 1:13 PM
It's a Canada thing.......

Scott Henderson
08-23-2006, 1:52 PM
What is a "Canada":confused::confused:

Scott Henderson
08-23-2006, 1:55 PM
Ditto on the Dell monitor and the extra RAM. By the way Rick, is that really your pic or are you a Kenny Rogers fan?

Hugh,
I once dated a girl years ago last name of Jaskok. this was in NC. She said there were very few by that name in America.
Where y'all from originally:confused:

Hugh Jaskok
08-23-2006, 2:11 PM
I have some German heritage.

Donnie Raines
08-23-2006, 2:27 PM
She must have a little German in her too.

Scott Henderson
08-23-2006, 2:50 PM
She must have a little German in her too.

Actually, the family is Scots heritage; there was a lot of that in her:)

Mike Jory
08-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Kirk, One thing I would consider if I were buying a new desk top system is, A, get a widescreen 16 x 9 ratio monitor, and
B, get a video card with multiple outputs.
I have found reasons for having several applications opens at the same time. As you probably know, with a wide desktop, the second screen could run an app, while monitoing the other. Although, there is a priority of which one is in use.

I have also found that high end display panels with either DVI or HDMI inputs are growing in resolution and capabilities each month. Make sure the display is compatable with your card of choice. You may be able to find a large monitor with several types of inputs. Examples approach 16x9 ratio television sets, like a large LCD, or Plasma tv with NTSC and ATSC tuners. Suitable in size for the desktop, these can also be used as high quality computer monitors, or to display your home video camera playback

Eventually HD DVD will be common in computers. http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,126003/article.html
With a brand new hotrod pc, you'll be happy you bought the best display you could!
Good Luck
mike

J. Scott Chambers
08-24-2006, 12:04 PM
I have the Dell 20" widescreen. I'll never go back. The quality is so much better, and the extra space is great when working on drawings. Digital all the way.

Bud Zysk
08-29-2006, 3:43 PM
Do you remember what her dad's name was? :confused:

Scott Henderson
08-29-2006, 3:48 PM
I believe it was Lar.

Erik Rudd
08-29-2006, 3:56 PM
I believe it was Lar.

That's commonly short for Larry if you're trying to look him up somewhere. HTH.

Scott Henderson
08-29-2006, 3:59 PM
Actually, it was supposed to be Lars, or is a derivation therefrom.:)

Erik Rudd
08-29-2006, 4:24 PM
Lars is already short enough to not need further shortening.

Scott Henderson
08-29-2006, 4:25 PM
Only takes 3/4 of the time to pronounce, though.:rolleyes:

Erik Rudd
08-29-2006, 4:31 PM
Sure thing Cot.

David Jarrell
08-30-2006, 12:43 AM

Hah hah!! This won't end well.