PDA

View Full Version : Scam Warning!!

Ed Breen
08-21-2006, 11:17 AM
hey All,
I just got an e-mail informing me that pay pal had sent several hundred dollars from my bank account to a third party. It then directed me to what looked like the pay pal address. I, instead went to my Pay Pal and checked my accopunt info. Sure enough there was no mention. Just another way to get a response to a scam.
Be Warned and careful!!
Ed

Mark Rios
08-21-2006, 11:24 AM
WTG Ed. Nice catch.

I never click on a link in an email that I'm not very familiar with. I type the address in and go to the site that way.

Corey Hallagan
08-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Yup...scammers have been using that method to obtain account log ins for a long time now. The URL is the give away.

corey

scott spencer
08-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Similar things happen with Ebay. I've gotten so used to seeing these note that I don't even give it a thought anymore....."delete". The best way to ensure security is to check all info through the website directly.

Martin Shupe
08-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Ed!

I got the same one. What worried me was that it used my first and last name. I only use that on here and WC.

I checked my account, like you did, and then knew it was a scam.

I sent it to spoof@paypal.com, so they could shut it down.

Good head's up, Ed. Thanks!

Tom Hintz
08-21-2006, 3:23 PM
We were getting the same thing about a Mastercard account about a month ago.
Then there is the "warning" I keep getting about my account at the First Third Bank, whatever that is.....Apparently I have lots of money there to lose or something.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-21-2006, 3:30 PM
They wouldn't get anything from me. I'm all tapped-out from my South African investments with Dr. Bagumba.
-Jeff :)

Frank Hagan
08-21-2006, 8:07 PM
Thanks, Ed!

I got the same one. What worried me was that it used my first and last name. I only use that on here and WC.

I checked my account, like you did, and then knew it was a scam.

I sent it to spoof@paypal.com, so they could shut it down.

Good head's up, Ed. Thanks!

One good thing about forwarding the emails to spoof@paypal.com or spoof@ebay.com is that the companies will respond to the email and let you know that it is a scam.