PDA

View Full Version : Keeping shoulder plane shiny

Voytek Jarnot
08-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi Folks. Recently acquired a Veritas Medium shoulder plane - and I'm wondering what others use to keep the rust at bay. In the recent heat, it seems that every time I use it the sweat on my hands burns through the paste wax instantly and it starts to brown in the areas where I hold it.

I'm starting to think, forget the wax and wipe it with an oily rag at the end of each day of use. Kind of a hassle, though, need to remember to oil it up, then remove the oil before using it again...

Any tips?

Jim DeLaney
08-21-2006, 12:01 PM
I wipe mine down with camellia oil. Keeps the rust away nicely.

Dave Anderson NH
08-21-2006, 12:48 PM
I use a 2 step process to prevent rust on my tools. I first use Boeshield T-9 (a true rust preventative). I spray it on, let it dry, and then buff it up. The buffed surfaces are now protected against rust, but are not very slippery- in fact they tend to grab a bit. The second step is to use either Top-Cote or paste wax. The Top-Cote is a spray product and is nice and slick. Alternately you can use paste wax.

The main point here is that paste wax in and of itself is not a real rust preventative in spite of the internet lore that has developed over the years extolling its virtues. In fact, waxes tend to be slightly hydroscopic and can actually draw moisture to them. At best they provide a temporary barrier against direct contact with most of the moisture.