PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
08-21-2006, 9:18 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Not much to say today except that I'm THRILLED to no longer be oncall. I got by with 94 hours of work and I'm still tired. This kind of stuff is hard on an old man. ;)

Oh well...gotta do what I gotta do. Haven't seen the shop in 7 days. Don't know if all my tools still love me or not. Haven't had any rain so I don't have to worry about my water buckets not being in the right places. I know, I know.......one of these days I'll get this metal roof replaced and have a roof that doesn't leak anywhere. Now THAT would be great.

So...what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Bob Childress
08-21-2006, 9:30 AM
Well, made great progress on the new kitchen. Range hood installed and working, grouted the porcelain tile countertops, laid out a pattern for the decorative backsplash, and attached some backer boards behind the cooktop for the tiles. We got a little rian yesterday PM, which we needed badly. SWMBO mowed the lawn (bless her!) and ran the weedeater.:D

John Headley
08-21-2006, 9:59 AM
Spent Saturday at a local auction with lots of lumber and hardware. Ended up with 225 board feet of Walnut for about 90 cents a brd ft. All of the boards were 5/4 rough cut ranging from 10' to 16' lengths and 6" to 16" widths. Some sapwood, but should be able to get a good yield out of them. Also picked up 14" and 22" full extension drawer slides for $10 a case. Sunday was spent re-stacking the lumber piles to fit the walnut.

Matt Meiser
08-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Saturday was my work picnic at the zoo. Sunday yard work, then cleaned the tractor, and a few other things while i had the pressure washer out. Sunday afternoon I turned a bowl which was acceptable but nothing spectacular. Most notably I'm getting better at getting a consistent wall thickness and keeping the bowl in the chuck. I'll probably do another bowl tonight.

Scott Coffelt
08-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Put a couple of wipe-on poly coats on the 2nd curly cherry vanity for our master bath. Removed the old ceramic tile, concrete board from the floor, old trim. Removed and began rebuilding a new step for the jacuzzi tub. Installed about 85% of the hardi-board for the new slate floor. My hands are all cut up and sore, but in all the process a piece of tile flew up and caught one of the doors on my other cherry vanity. I really do not want to replace, as it is book matched. So I did a repair with filler, not real happy with it. I may have to try some markers to see if I can get it to blend more. Good thing is the door has some spalting, so I may try and hide that way. If I can not get a look I like, I will have to fab up some new doors. Makes me sick as I was being real careful not to have anything come close to the vanity.

Now the real question I have for fols here. The step I am making will be curved to fit a corner tub, they had a simple 2x8 before and it really wasn't enough step in my opinon, so I decided to put one with an arc so we will have like 17" at the peak. I am toying between covering with slate to match the floor or teak. The teak would obviously be a little different color and grain to the cherry, but I was thinking it would be a nice contrast and probably better than slate. Thoughts? I also plan to build a small corner seat/footrest in the shower stall out of teak so they would tie in together. I also need to track down teak in the KC area.

Al Willits
08-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Great weekend for me, got one of the shop/garage cabinets about 1/2 done, got yelled at by the shebeast for not hooking the DC up to the router :D , got a little golf in Sunday, cleaned more of the garage out, and me and the dog sat and watched the world go by late sunday afternoon, while the BBQ cooked supper....

Something about sitting with the dog, makes this old guy realize life can be pretty nice at times...:)

Al

Andy Hoyt
08-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Doctor Evil (http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/default.html) sent me his laserrrrrr, which made for this great photo op.

Jim Hager
08-21-2006, 10:33 AM
I ripped a load of style stock for a customer, built 3 raised panel cabinet ends for uppers and 2 for lowers, mowed the yard but mostly sat around this weekend for a change. I liked it:cool:

Don Baer
08-21-2006, 10:46 AM
I made a new Cross cut sled, made 6 Cauls and then I planed and joined 40 bd ft of white oak and got 6 glue-ups done. Although shop temps were in the 100's I didn't seem to notice since it was the first real woodwork I've been able to do for several months. It felt good just to be back in the shop.

Mark Pruitt
08-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Roughed out 3 NE's on the lathe. Didn't touch (or even think much about) my workbench which is crying for completion but not getting any atention as I continue to learn turning. Balked at the idea of letting the NE's sit for 6 months before final turning, then I remembered the whole DNA gig. So tonight I'm gonna stop by the borg and get a gallon or two.

The bad news is, my carpel tunnel syndrome is aggravated again this morning.:( I woke up with my right hand hurting and numb. (I know that sounds crazy--how can it be both numb and hurting, but that's the best description I can give.) All of the turning is what did it. I have a pair of padded gloves to wear while turning, but in order for them to do me any good I need to put 'em on!:o Maybe I can put off having "the knife job" for a couple more months, but my better judgement is telling me not to wait much longer. A whole month with no WWing?:eek: :mad: That'll just about kill me.

Mark

Jim O'Dell
08-21-2006, 11:05 AM
No shop time for me. Didn't even open the door. :( I spent ALL weekend working on both computers. Finely got LOML to clean out the e-mail box so I could run check disk and defrag. Took over 6 hours for hers. But now I can back it up, tear it apart to rebuild it with the new MB, CPU and fan, memory, power supply, SATA HD, and OS. Now the fun begins!! Jim.

Fred Voorhees
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Roughed out 3 NE's on the lathe. Didn't touch (or even think much about) my workbench which is crying for completion but not getting any atention as I continue to learn turning. Balked at the idea of letting the NE's sit for 6 months before final turning, then I remembered the whole DNA gig. So tonight I'm gonna stop by the borg and get a gallon or two.

The bad news is, my carpel tunnel syndrome is aggravated again this morning.:( I woke up with my right hand hurting and numb. (I know that sounds crazy--how can it be both numb and hurting, but that's the best description I can give.) All of the turning is what did it. I have a pair of padded gloves to wear while turning, but in order for them to do me any good I need to put 'em on!:o Maybe I can put off having "the knife job" for a couple more months, but my better judgement is telling me not to wait much longer. A whole month with no WWing?:eek: :mad: That'll just about kill me.

Mark

Mark, I am finishing up my second week after getting "the knife job" and I can tell you, man, it was no big deal. In fact, today (Mon) I am going back up to the surgeon to have him take the stitches out. Leading up to this operation, I did some research on the problem and I seem to remember reading that the longer you wait to correct the problem, the tougher it is to correct it. Anyway, what I mainly want to stress is that the operation was really a breeze. The doctor prescribed pain killers, but honestly, I probably could have done without any at all. Just some dull pain the night of the operation, but nothing that I couldn't live with. From the next morning on, all I really felt were some twinges here and there which I understand are the nerves more or less reuniting with each other. I took a picture of my wrist last night for posterity. Eight stitches. I had the same problem as you - waking up with a hand that was pretty much useless. I say, go for the operation if at all possible. I'm glad I did and will more than likely do the same for the other wrist next year.

Corey Hallagan
08-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I kind of left the lathe alone this weekend which has been stealing all of my attention lately. Worked on a small walnut and maple box and should be able to complete this next weekend.

Corey

Hank Knight
08-21-2006, 11:20 AM
I bought an old Walker Turner drill press from the Government last week. It was in use at the Savannah River Plant since the early 50s and it was filthy, grimy and gunked up with who-knows-what. People around here automatically assume that if it came from the Savannah River Plant it has to be radioactive. I spent the weekend cleaning it up and I don't even want to know what all the gunk was. I just threw all the dirty rags on the trash pile and the City will haul them away. If our garbage truck starts glowing in the dark, I'll know for sure.

The drill press is pretty beat up but it's complete, and the working parts all seem to be in good condition. I need to replace one of the bearings and the motor. The table has some chunks knocked out of it and multiple holes in the top. I'm going to put an auxiliary table on it with a fence, hold downs etc., so it really doesn't matter. I should have a sweet machine when I'm done. My dad had a Walker Turner years ago and it was the best drill press I've ever used. It was stolen from his shop along most of his other tools late in his life, and I've been looking for another one ever since. I'm looking forward to getting this one cleaned up and running.

Julio Navarro
08-21-2006, 11:40 AM
I worked on a pair of shop cabinet doors. I finally used the mortiser and made some tenons. It worked pretty good, the M&T on the doors fit perfect and where easy to do.

I'll make the panels tonight.

Sunday the wife had a surprise Bday party for me, had a geat time.

Jim Becker
08-21-2006, 11:46 AM
I got a few minutes of quality back hoe time on the "outdoor orange power tool" and removed a very large stump so I could finish up the new beds at the end of the new driveway. 'Also got the mailbox moved to it's new location...it even stands up straight now! Aside from that, picnic on Saturday and the 'rents are here for a few days. No shop time outside of scrounging tools for the mailbox move. Maybe next week...

Steve Hayes
08-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Moved 4 cubic yards of dirt wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow for our new landscaping. Created 4 new planting beds. I wish I knew what woodworking was like. By the way did I mention it was 105 and no wind at all. Thank God for a deck fan with a mister attachment. Gotta love Texas.

Martin Lutz
08-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Went to Ouray, Co with some family, took a tour of the Bachelor silver mine, hiked to Box canyon Falls, went to Telluride and rode the gondola and ate ice cream. Sunday, church and worked on the sleigh bed. Busy weekend!

Calvin Hobbs
08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Got a couple of hours in the shop Friday night - Roughed out and glued on knee blocks for a Philadelphia dressing table I have been messing with.

Saturday began demo on the backyard that time forgot. Now I have to add deck rails to my list...
Went to the pool with the kids in the pm. Grilled some meat. Watched a movie.

Church and Sunday school yesterday morning, then we went to Silver Dollar City and had a great time. We are a little sore from the hike down Marvel Cave.

Carving on the lowboy knees last night. Caught the end of the Yanks beating the Bosox at 12:30 am.

A great weekend, all in all.

Dave Richards
08-21-2006, 1:09 PM
The only shop time I had this weekend was a quick repair to the rudder on my sailboat. A little sanding and some latex primer. In a day or so I'll paint the spot and no one will know the difference.

Saturday was a sailing day. Started out with high winds that got higher so we sat around and watch the waves pound the boat landing, pelicans soaring overhead and some folks who were taking their frozen snot sailboat out for the first time. By 14:00 the winds calmed enough to get out there. Started with the main reefed but soon shook the reef out and barreled along. Still had some pretty big waves including a couple that drove the bowsprit under as we came down off the top of them. :eek: GPS recorded max speed of 7.5 kts which is pretty fast for a boat with about 14' of waterline.

Brett Baldwin
08-21-2006, 1:29 PM
Picked up a new wood for me, Movingui. Yellow with wavy grain and this stuff had some funky figure to it. I suspect it will be a little hard to work with and finish but it was on clearance for $2/bdft so I thought why not. I also got the sides done on a box that I've been doing that has been resized several times due to failed joinery execution. The only smart thing I did was wait till the box was done to make the lid. I guess I've learned a few things about hand cut dovetails too.;)

David Duke
08-21-2006, 2:03 PM
Had to go back into the "real" job Friday night and put in another 8 on top of the 8 already worked. Saturday morning delivered the result of that nights work to the customer. That evening I finished assembly and primed my present project (an outside storage bench). Sunday visited with my mom, when I got back home I put on the first coat of paint on the bench and an outside chair prototype I had made but never painted.

Jim Hinze
08-21-2006, 2:56 PM
I got my workbench top flattened and smoothed. Gotta apply the finish now.

Terre Hooks
08-21-2006, 3:49 PM
I went over to my buddy Tool Fool's house and we sat around talkin about how he should organize his shop. After three hours and a case of beer, we decided to go inside because both of us were sun burned pretty bad.

Marty Walsh
08-21-2006, 5:32 PM
some folks who were taking their frozen snot sailboat out for the first time.

Nah, I won't even bother asking/commenting... :rolleyes:

- Marty -

P.S. I love seeing pics of your boat Dave...

Terre Hooks
08-21-2006, 5:32 PM
LOL @ Woody.

Hey, sprinkle some baby powder around, vac it up with the collector and it'll smell like new in there. BTDT.

I was up in Ohio about a month ago visiting my friend Donnie Raines and his place was a complete and utter mess. I don't think the boy had ever cleaned it up. We are talking about a 14" layer of sawdust in the corner behind the bandsaw and dust collector.

I picked up a jar of what looked like dried shellac flakes and he said it was the remnants of his last jug of moonshine!!!!

:cool:

Terre Hooks
08-21-2006, 5:47 PM
I have contemplated building a couple of bat houses for our property. Due to the horrible drought here in Northeast Alabama this summer, skeeter ain't been a real problem.

I got to looking at the bat houses and got concerned when the plans call for the houses to be mounted about 20-25 feet off the ground.

I don't consider myself an avid tree climber.

Or arborist.

Erik Rudd
08-21-2006, 5:54 PM
I understand that you need them that high to make room for the pile of guano that builds up underneath the bat house. At least that's what a fellow over to Pumpkin Center told me.

Terre Hooks
08-21-2006, 6:01 PM
Pumpkin Center? Dang. Now that's close to the neighborhood.

I don't know about all this guano ya'll are talkin about. I think ol' Woody is making some of that up.

So Erik, what you are telling me is not to put the bat houses up over the swing set, huh?

Well, I gotta run for today. Just got a call from the man from WMH Tool Group. He's in town for IWF and gonna bUy my supper.

BYE!

Erik Rudd
08-21-2006, 6:09 PM
So Erik, what you are telling me is not to put the bat houses up over the swing set, huh?

Well, I gotta run for today. Just got a call from the man from WMH Tool Group. He's in town for IWF and gonna by my supper.

BYE!

Yep, that'd be a bad scene for all involved.