PDA

View Full Version : Doall Bandsaw

John Bailey
08-21-2006, 8:33 AM
This saw is a few miles away from me. Does anyone know if it would be good for wood.

"16" variable speed band saw with blade welder. This saw is a older model that has been completly stripped and repainted. the saw will run on 220v three phase or 440v three phase. I am not sure if the blade welder works properly, but the saw runs good. It also has a weight driven feed system, the table tilts 45 degrees to the side, and 10 degrees front and back. The throat opening is 10" and speed range is from 50 fpm to 350 fpm. The chip blower is intact but does not have the flexible nozzle. Blade length 112" min to 122" max, and the saw weighs approximately 1200 lbs."

Sounds to me like it's for metal. Just wondering if it would be anything to take a look at for a woodshop.

John

Jeff Horton
08-21-2006, 8:58 AM
That is a metal saw. I have used one a few times and they are well built saws. I think (not sure) that the only thing that would stop it being used for wood would be the SFM/speed. I don't remember what it typical for wood, but if you could get the speed right.

Next thing I wonder is how narrow a blade it would take? They have been around for years, bet if you do a Google search you could find something on them.

Chuck Saunders
08-21-2006, 9:33 AM
Blade speed for wood is 3000 fpm. DoAll is a great saw but this may give you problems trying to kick it up by a factor of 10.
Chuck

Bruce Page
08-21-2006, 9:34 AM
John, DOALL is a higher end metal working BS. I’d pass on it for woodworking unless the guy is practically giving it away. I have used similar Doall’s and think it would be clumsy as a wood cutter.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Do All and Grob are the Caddilac of the machine shop band saws.

I have used DoAlls for over 20 years and never had a complaint. Most models can go really fast and have a gear box to go really slow so you can run just about anything you want in it.

The table and upper guide arm are better than anything MM Laguna etc sell. The saw all over is better than anything the wood saw makers make.

It will not have dust collection.

Pete Bradley
08-21-2006, 1:16 PM
As others mentioned, it's a top of the line saw for metal. It wasn't designed for wood and is worth enough for its intended purpose that it wouldn't be cost-effective to convert. If you're looking for a similar machine in age/size, you might look around for an old Delta/Rockwell or Powermatic 20".

Pete

John Bailey
08-21-2006, 3:43 PM
Thanks Guys,

I suspected it wouldn't really be worth trying to make it do wood. I've had my eyes open for a Delta/Rockwell 20" for some time, but haven't found any that I didn't have to drive a long way to get. Guess I'll keep looking.

John

Pete Bradley
08-21-2006, 9:08 PM
I've got a Delta 20" from about 1949. It is theworkhorse in my shop. They don't do a great job with wide blades, but I haven't found that to be a problem even resawing at the full capacity of 13 1/4".

Pete

John Bailey
08-21-2006, 9:39 PM
I've got a Delta 20" from about 1949. It is theworkhorse in my shop. They don't do a great job with wide blades, but I haven't found that to be a problem even resawing at the full capacity of 13 1/4".

Pete

Pete,

What do you call a wide blade? I wanted something that could handle a 1" blade. How does it do with the smaller blades? In general, what do you think of the Delta/Rockwell.

John