PDA

View Full Version : Double Bevel cut take two .... video

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-21-2006, 6:28 AM
Well, I don't know if I'm wasting your time or not, last one got one response, so maybe this is just all old hat to you experienced guys.....?

Anyway, I said I take another vid without my fat hand in the way, I think this one is better.

Video is HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAq4HjndjfU) <<- it is a link to YouTube.com my video is hosted there.

If this is just a waste of time, and you have all seen it before, I'll stop trying to show you this, it was new to me, and I've had great success with it, so I was just trying to pass along something that works, but............?

Cheers!

Hilel Salomon
08-21-2006, 7:25 AM
Can't speak for others, but I enjoy and learn from your videos and truly appreciate your kindness, patience and generosity. Perhaps you've already explained this, but what are you doing in Japan? I lived in Taiwan (in what seems like another lifetime) for 1.5 years and spent a total of 3 in East Asia. Being closer (than Eastern US) to NZ and Australia, I would imagine that getting tools is not too difficult-except for Japanese tariffs. Anyway, thanks,
Hilel Salomon

doug webb
08-21-2006, 7:52 AM
Stu, thanks for the videos. Sorry for the non response on your others. It seems I have fallen in the habit of reading and enjoying everyones posts without replies. I like trying new [to me] things and will give this a try. thanks......doug

08-21-2006, 8:41 AM
Can't speak for others, but I enjoy and learn from your videos and truly appreciate your kindness, patience and generosity. Perhaps you've already explained this, but what are you doing in Japan? I lived in Taiwan (in what seems like another lifetime) for 1.5 years and spent a total of 3 in East Asia. Being closer (than Eastern US) to NZ and Australia, I would imagine that getting tools is not too difficult-except for Japanese tariffs. Anyway, thanks,
Hilel Salomon

Hilel, boy is that a long story, why I'm in Japan :rolleyes:

Why I came? I had nothing better to do, so I came here to study Aikido for 6 months, that was 16 years ago....... ;)

Why I stay?

I'd say my lovely wife and two daughters have something to do with it :D

08-21-2006, 8:46 AM
Stu, thanks for the videos. Sorry for the non response on your others. It seems I have fallen in the habit of reading and enjoying everyones posts without replies. I like trying new [to me] things and will give this a try. thanks......doug
Thanks Doug, I hope it works out for you, sure works for me!

Cheers!

Mark Pruitt
08-21-2006, 8:49 AM
Stu, thanks for posting this. I'm what I consider a beginner of beginners and I always appreciate new information. And regarding what you said in the video about the cut creating a "shiny" appearance--if you go back and look again you'll see the reflection of your hand in the surface you just cut. Pretty awesome IMHO.
Mark

08-21-2006, 9:11 AM
Thanks Mark.

Well, I'm just a beginner myself, compared to many of the pros here and the hobbyists who are putting out pro level stuff, so I did not want to waste peoples time.

I have VERY little contact with other turners, except for here, so my exposure to the various ways and techniques is LIMITED. I wanted to make sure I was not making a fool of myself by posting videos of something that EVERYONE else in the world knows about.

I appreciate the feedback, and I'm more than happy to help out, in the small way I can.

Cheers!

George Conklin
08-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey... I recognize that lathe!

I really appreciate the videos, Stu. It's nice you take the time to make and post these for us. Please keep them coming.

08-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks George, ya that is one good lathe, I think I like if more each time I use it.

Cheers!