PDA

View Full Version : CMT Chamfer & Multi-sided container bits

Phil Winn
08-21-2006, 2:16 AM
Sorry, I am sure there is an easy explaination, but I don't know it.
I would prefer the 1/2" shank-unless the 1/4" is better for some reason.
CMT makes "two" sets of "chamfer bits"--what are the differences?
CMT makes Chamfer bits for decorative edges Series #836.
CMT also makes Chamfer bits for Multi-sided containers-Series #857.
I believe the #857 is carbide tipped and anti-kickback....is the #836 the same? Could one set do both edges and multi-sided containers equally well? Or not? I realize that I am not doing a great job explaining myself, but...
Thanks,
Phil
Here is one page with both bits:
www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=13032 (http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=13032)

Norman Hitt
08-21-2006, 4:41 AM
Phil, the bits for the decorative edges are normally 45* bits, whereas the bits for multisided objects are specialty bits that cut at different angles determined by how many sides will be in the object. The normal chamfer bit at 45* would work for chamfered decorative edges, OR for chamfering edges for a glue up of a 4 sided item, and the chamfer angle would be less than 45* for all the other items with more than 4 sides, ie; the bit's angle would be 11.25* for making an 8 sided object.

For some reason I couldn't pull up the link, (I've got some kind of computer glitch here tonight) so I don't know what's in the sets you mentioned. I like 1/2" shank bits also, especially when they have a lot of mass in the cutting portion of the bit. Sorry I can't be of more help.