PDA

View Full Version : Geo. H. Bishop & Company

jonathan snyder
08-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Anyone know anything about the defunct Geo. H. Bishop & Company, Cincinnati, Ohio? I am considering buying a dovetail saw. The fellow tells me that this particular saw dates from the 1800's prior to Disston buying them out. This saw has the "flying bishop medalion".

I'm looking for a good user and it looks like this saw might fit the bill. Straight shiny rip blade, 15ppi, blade is .028, unsure of the set. Rake angle is approx 10 -12, fellow says it starts nice , but cuts a bit slower than his LN.

This would be a first hand saw for me, and hopefully I will be able to learn to make straight cuts first and then tackle dovetails. What do you folks think?

I really enjoy using vintage tools and would like to find out more about G.H Bishop saws. I did a google search, but came up with very litle. Anyone have a history lesson for me?

Thanks
Jonathan

Mike Wenzloff
08-21-2006, 1:01 AM
Hi Jonathon,

Bishop was a good maker. Doesn't matter whether it was before Disston's purchase or not. I have Bishop saws from both periods and they are top notch.

As long as the blade is straight and the wood is good, it will in all likelihood be a great saw. If not, heck, I'd buy it from you!

Take care, Mike

Edit--actually, I'm uncertain whether Disston actually purchased Bishop. I know Disston used either some of the Wuest Patents assigned to Bishop or creatively borrowed them. Which may argue for a purchase.

Schaffer book doesn't actually list a buy-out, unless I missed it. Which is possible, I'm tired...

Dates were from 1882 to 1899 in Cincinnati, OH, and 1899 to 1920 in Lawrenceburg, IN. It was 1905 or '06 that the Wuest patent was assigned to Bishop, not Disston, for the double-sided saw and a year later the adjustable back of Wuest's was also assigned to Bishop.

I don't have much more, maybe someone else will. Take care, Mike

jonathan snyder
08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the info. I am going to buy the saw as I feel it is a great price and has a nice history and lots of character. Hopefully I can learn to make a straight cut with it.

Do you have a reference for the Schaffer book?

Than handle is apple wood, it is solid, but could stand a refinishing. Any suggestions?

Thanks
JOnathan

Mike Wenzloff
08-21-2006, 1:31 PM
Hi Jonathon,

There are two books, one on American saws and one on British saws. The publisher is Osage Press. I forget the name of the person who owns it, but he is a very nice man. You may get a recorder, but he will get back to you fairly prompt.

The PH # is (815)-398-0602

You can also get the books from Martin Donnely:
http://www.mjdtools.com/

Do note that these books are simply dry data, more like reading a phone book. No real historical biography.

Take care, Mike

Mike Wenzloff
08-21-2006, 1:45 PM
Oops, forgot to address refinishing...

Mostly I do not do anything. If it is a saw with bits of missing finish but other wise is fine, I may wipe it down with MS using 0000 steel wool, use an oil of choice for that day--it varies as to which can is out but is usually Teak oil--after that dries I shellac the handle.

If a handle has well worn-in dirt and grime, I clean with a thinner which does not affect the present finish. Early enough and it is shellac, so don't use alcohol, late enough it is lacquer, so don't use lacquer thinner. If you don't wish to remove the finish, test either on a small area.

Then do the oil and shellac.

Take care, Mike

Alan DuBoff
08-21-2006, 1:47 PM
I have a couple Bishop saws. I prefer them to a Disston, if for nothing else other than they're more unique as there were less of them.

I find the quality to be excellent, and sharpens up nicely. I have a 10" small tenon saw that had been etched for the Chicago Board of Education, nice little saw. I have another 10" as well. Nice saws. I do prefer a thinner blade for doing dovetails, but those small tenon saws work fine. The majority of saws in the wild are small tenon saws.

Philip McKinney
08-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm a saw-a-holic and from Ohio so the Bishop name is somewhat familiar. I buy just about every one I find and they are great saws. But so are Disstons, Simmonds, Atkins, Peace etc. I don't think that quality was the chief factor of differentiation among these ( and other) older brands.
Some of the oldtimers around southern Ohio claim that the Bishop saw plates were harder and therefore the teeth were more easily broken when setting. I can't say that I have seen this when looking at old saws.
Sharpen and set carefully, use happily.

jonathan snyder
08-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll post a picture when I receive it.

Jonathan