PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rattler

Glenn Hodges
08-20-2006, 11:09 PM
This snake was recently found at the old Turkey Creek Gas Plant located just south of the Alibates Turnoff on Highway 136 south of Fritch Texas.
[That is just north of Amarillo]

A buddy sent me this as a reminder to all of us to watch our step while we are out there gathering that special wood. I know we have a bunch of them in Georgia because I had to deal with one of them yesterday, but I did not have my camera with me so be careful out there.

Mark Cothren
08-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks Glenn... now I'll have nightmares tonight...:eek: ;) :D

Corey Hallagan
08-20-2006, 11:18 PM
That just gives me the creeps! Yikes!

Corey

Travis Stinson
08-20-2006, 11:19 PM
I think I'd just put me a 48" bar on my chainsaw and cut a swath through that big sucka!:eek:

Nope, I think I'd leave the saw with him.......tough to run with a chainsaw.:o

Raymond Overman
08-20-2006, 11:36 PM
MMMMMmmmm, tasty. When's dinner? :rolleyes:

Michael Cody
08-20-2006, 11:59 PM
This pic has been around for a while.... see:

Snake Pic @ Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/txsnake.asp)

Bill Boehme
08-21-2006, 12:43 AM
My first thought was that someone used a wide-angle lens and the snake was held very close to the camera. Evidence to my thoughts is that the position of the man's left arm is clearly extended straight forward -- he would be one tough hombre to hold 100 pounds straight out at arms length. The other piece of evidence is the rapidly diminishing sidewalk behind him. This is just a variant of the normal bass fisherman's way of taking pictures of the catch to "prove" that he snagged Moby Dick himself. There are not many rattlesnakes that go over 10 pounds.

Bill

Lee DeRaud
08-21-2006, 1:02 AM
This pic has been around for a while.... see:

Snake Pic @ Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/txsnake.asp)More to the point, that's picture has already appeared here...supposedly in Michigan.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36944

Randy Meijer
08-21-2006, 1:06 AM
I saw that picture about a year ago and it is definitely a hoax. I checked woth the zoo and some local snake experts and found that the largest rattlesnake every found in Texas was just a few inches over 7 feet and weighed less than 20 lbs. Absolutely no way a 9" snake could weigh 97 pounds!!

Think about for a minute. Know how much an 80 lb. bag of concrete weighs?? Think you could hould up a bag of concrete on the end of a stick like that?? Maybe Arnold could??

Mike Sheppard
08-21-2006, 9:05 AM
That pic was sent to me and said it was found in a old lumber camp up north in Michigan. (yea right)
Mike

Steve Hayes
08-21-2006, 9:35 AM
What kind of bowl could you make with it????????

Jim Becker
08-21-2006, 9:40 AM
Hmm...a big'un! Not a picture I plan on showing to Alesya...she hates snakes...

Frank Fusco
08-21-2006, 9:57 AM
Yeppers, wide-angle lens and close up.

Travis Stinson
08-21-2006, 12:49 PM
I have to ask......Why was this moved to the OT forum?
Who cares where the pic originated? I think Glenn was conveying an important message to the members of the turning forum, where they would be most likely to run across snakes in search of their working stock.:confused:

Dennis Peacock
08-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Yummy.......tastes like chicken. :D

Frank Guerin
08-21-2006, 6:28 PM
SOS
Save our snakes.

Allen Bookout
08-21-2006, 6:52 PM
I was born and raised in the Texas Panhandle near where this snake was found and I am just sure that no one from North Texas would exaggerate. Aren't you? Well----maybe a little bit.

Dennis Peacock
08-21-2006, 9:53 PM
Who cares where the pic originated? I think Glenn was conveying an important message to the members of the turning forum, where they would be most likely to run across snakes in search of their working stock.:confused:

Not sure Travis....but the overall jest of the original post wasn't related to watching out for snakes while hunting for turning stock, so it got moved to the OT forum. At least that's my guess.

Randy Meijer
08-22-2006, 2:23 AM
What kind of bowl could you make with it????????

Couldn't say; but it would make a lot of very nice pens!!;)

Ken Salisbury
08-22-2006, 9:40 AM

Because that is where I thought it should be.

"Your Friendly Moderator"

Andy Hoyt
08-22-2006, 10:15 AM
The thread did indeed have roots apropos to the turning forum.

It was in response to this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=419959#post419959

The timing is not coincidental.

Ken Salisbury
08-22-2006, 11:01 AM
The thread did indeed have roots apropos to the turning forum.

It was in response to this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=419959#post419959

The timing is not coincidental.

If it was in response to the referenced thread thats where it should have been posted. However I still believe it belongs in the Off Topic forum. Besides this paticular snake has been around for quite some time on the internet and is more than likely a farce (at least to the suggested size)

"Your Friendy Moderator"

Kyle Kraft
08-22-2006, 12:32 PM
You all are right about finding snakes while hunting for wood. I once found one more curvacious than that rattler while digging through a bunk of 2x4's at the BORG.:D