PDA

View Full Version : On a quest for a new place to live

Jeremy Gibson
08-20-2006, 9:14 PM
I'm in need of a national realtor who can take a set of wants and search the nation for a new place to live. Seeing as I can't find such a thing I'll pose the question here.

My wife and I have pets but no children. We live in a rural town and like it that way. She would like some type of waterfront property (ocean, navagable river, or lake). We would both like 2 acres or more for privacy. We'd like to build a home with 2000-3000 sq ft with an attached 2-car garage. I'd like to add a detatched workshop the size of a 3-car garage.

Areas with hurricanes are out, but nor'easters are fine. Cold and snow don't bother us but lots of heat does. Tornado's are out completely.

And the big one......someplace where all of this can be ours for $400K or less, or on a salary of $120K / year.

Jim Becker
08-20-2006, 9:43 PM
Most, if not all, of the larger realty names offer nationwide search/service through your local affiliate. But in order for that to be useful, you'll probably need to narrow down your "targets" relative to geography. I suspect from your post that you have, "workplace flexibility" that lets you locate where you want, rather than where you "need to be". Do keep in mind that communications facilities will likely need to be part of your search criteria in that case if you plan on any form of serious virtual office. There are still a lot of places that don't have high-speed access and that bites for serious work. Ditto on transportation if you need to fly a lot...being too far from a major airport (and by that I mean one that doesn't require to to constantly feed to a larger airport to get where you are going) can be a pain.

Waterfront could be a hitch when it comes to your $400K target, but otherwise, it should be doable.

Art Mulder
08-20-2006, 9:45 PM
Are you self-employed, Jeremy? You seem to be pretty portable?

What about minimum sizes of local towns?
What about internet access ability! :eek:

sounds like an adventure. Post pictures...

Jeremy Gibson
08-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Jim,

good point about broadband. When I first moved from San Antonio, TX to Divide, CO I had a two-way satallite dish for my internet. It was 512K download but only 52K upload. Still, it did server me well enough until DSL was available. I've been telecommuting for about eight years now and LOVE IT!! It is so nice to be able to live where I want instead of where the office is.

As for my requirements relative to an airport I drive 1 hour now from my door to the airport security line. I only travel periodically - perhaps 6 - 10 times a year on average. I would be willing to drive up to 2 hours to an airport if need be.

Art,

I was employed by IBM for about 8 years and am now self-employed. I'm an independent partner in an IT consulting company. Yes, Internet is somewhat required (see my response to Jim). As for town size, the smaller the better! My current town has two stops lights and is mostly homes. We drive 20 mins to the next town almost every Saturday morning to eat breakfast in the same locally owned restaurant. The joy is how the staff knows our names and drink prefferences. That's what I love about small towns.

I guess I could add that Canada would not be objectionable to us either. I don't know the immigration standards very well, but I do know a few people in Toronto.

Michael Cody
08-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm in need of a national realtor who can take a set of wants and search the nation for a new place to live. Seeing as I can't find such a thing I'll pose the question here.

My wife and I have pets but no children. We live in a rural town and like it that way. She would like some type of waterfront property (ocean, navigable river, or lake). We would both like 2 acres or more for privacy. We'd like to build a home with 2000-3000 sq ft with an attached 2-car garage. I'd like to add a detached workshop the size of a 3-car garage.

Areas with hurricanes are out, but nor'easters are fine. Cold and snow don't bother us but lots of heat does. Tornado's are out completely.

And the big one......someplace where all of this can be ours for $400K or less, or on a salary of $120K / year.

Sounds like CO would be a good match, but you can easily find this match in Michigan. Inland lakes or rivers are fine and I know of dozens of such properties in the local area around southwest MI. We have had the occasional tornado, but not like the central Midwest. I've lived here 48 years and have only had one go close. It's temperate here, not to cold and not to hot. Plenty of snow, great outdoor sports too! Our power doesn't go out every week like the east side of the state. You are never more than 6 miles from a lake (besides the one you live on) here in SW Michigan either. I live 2 blocks from a major lake and my taxes on my 150k house are 1300$ a year .. income tax is 4%, sales tax is 6%. Plus we have trees, sawmills, deer the size cows and no poisonous animals to speak of...

Allen Bookout
08-20-2006, 11:39 PM
As a matter of curiosity, what is the matter with Colorado? I never lived there but always enjoyed visiting. Water, land, mountains, wood and remote areas. Seems perfect for someone that does not mind the cold.

Allen

Art Mulder
08-21-2006, 6:57 AM
I guess I could add that Canada would not be objectionable to us either. I don't know the immigration standards very well, but I do know a few people in Toronto.

I don't either, but being self-employed, I don't think you'd have any real issues getting in the door.

The eastern side of Ontario has got more lakes than you can shake a stick at, so getting waterfront is probably doable. And you may even find something on Lake Ontario, if you want something bigger. Kingston, Peterborough, and Bellevile are all modest-sized towns in that area of the province. Or you could head further eastward and check out Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. In those provinces you'll likely get colder winters, and cooler summers, but then you stand a chance of getting actual ocean frontage. Forget about British Columbia... I doubt you'll find ocean frontage in your price range. Even though the temps would be really mild. I'm not that familiar with the Prairie's, but I wouldn't want their winters myself.

best,
...art

Joe Pelonio
08-21-2006, 8:10 AM
Jeremy,

There's a lot of good information here, but you have to put in the city
name first. http://www.hometownlocator.com

There's a fairly well kept secret here called Sequim, on the Olympic Penninsula and surrounded by 40+" annual rain areas but gets only 10-15" and lots of sun. Eventually the prices will go up a lot as more people go to retire there but for now it's still about 60% of the metro Seattle prices. My Mom lives just west, toward Port Angeles.

Still lower prices on the west side of the Puget Sound, places like Hoquiam
where the spotted owl killed logging and you can by a 6,000 SF warehouse for $50k. Ocean Shores is touristy during summer, but this whole area is water everywhere.

Jeremy Gibson
08-21-2006, 8:50 AM
As a matter of curiosity, what is the matter with Colorado? I never lived there but always enjoyed visiting. Water, land, mountains, wood and remote areas. Seems perfect for someone that does not mind the cold.

Allen

Nothing's wrong with Colorado at all. Perhaps we just have wonder-lust or perhaps we're just ready for some change. This usually hapens as soon as we get close to being done with the home remodels. Yesterday I put the last coat on paint on the last side of the house - it's done. We have a few more windows to replace with double-pane and some trim to install, but that's it.

The only thing we don't like is worrying in the summer about forest fires. Our first summer here was in 2001 and the state's largest forest fire was 4 miles from our house. Now summer days outside are spent with our noses in the air and eyes wide open.

On the other hand, fall is fantastic with the golden aspen leaves and cool tempuratures. For a few weeks the aspens are so bright it looks like someone turned on a light bulb.

Finally, I think I'm ready to build a new home so it has everything where I want it. Every house has quirks, but to me used homes always have something I would like to change but would require major renovation. Who knows, maybe we'll decide our place is just fine or we'll add a second floor.

Todd Woodward
08-21-2006, 10:01 AM
my wife has a website saved in our favorites at home that I will send you. You answer their questions about your likes and dislikes in areas to live, along with temperature zones and a few other things and it tells you the best 10 (I think) places to live based on your input. I'll try to post it here tonight probably after 8!

Scott Loven
08-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Try NE Iowa. Rolling hills, lots of hardwoods, rivers, trout streams, Lots of tel-commuters. I live in Decorah on 13 acres, 2/3 hard woods (http://www.vmtw.com/shop/house101500.jpg). Here are a few links.
http://www.decoraharea.com/contentdisplay.asp?id=home&level=554
http://www.decorahnewspaper.com/
http://www.luther.edu/
There are a lot of great acreages between Decorah and the Mississippi river to the east.
Scott

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-21-2006, 3:36 PM
Brookville Pennsylvania
Check it out.

I was there a while . It's got not one big city amenity in or around. The fishing is excellent that big lakes are an hour away.
You can buy a lot there for cheap in the real estate market.

Joe Pelonio
08-21-2006, 3:58 PM
Really there are not many places in the country (or world) that are totally without natural disasters.

How do you feel about earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic eruptions?
Here in the NW we have the chance of those, but no hurricanes or tornadoes. Snow is every winter but sticks only 1-4 times most years,
and summer (until this year) stays under 85. For the price issue stay far away from California, that amount will buy you an old fixer condo.

Check these out:

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?snum=1&frm=bymap&nearbyZp=&lid=Enter+MLS+ID&pgnum=1&ss_aywr=&st=WA&mls=xmls&mnbed=0&js=on&mnsqft=2250&fid=so&vtsort=&poe=realtor&mnprice=300000&ct=sequim&zp=&primaryZp=&mxprice=400000&typ=1&typ=5&exft=0&exft=0&exft=0&exft=e2acres&exft=ewater&mnbath=0&areaid=42243&sid=0722A19CCD99C&snumxlid=1055362234&lnksrc=00001

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?snum=1&frm=bymap&mnbed=0&mnbath=0&mnprice=300000&mxprice=400000&js=off&pgnum=1&fid=so&mnsqft=2250&mls=xmls&vtsort=&typ=1&typ=5&poe=realtor&exft=e2acres&exft=ewater&ct=Sequim&st=WA&areaid=42243&areaid=74284&areaid=21128&areaid=76827&areaid=71716&areaid=56766&areaid=79969&areaid=57311&areaid=15510&sid=0722A2A273F6C&snumxlid=1066292827&lnksrc=00001

Lee DeRaud
08-21-2006, 4:58 PM
I guess Lake George is too obvious...or have the prices there gotten insane?

Edit: Oops, never mind...the lake I was thinking of in that area is Elevenmile Reservoir, looks like it's all in a state park.

Jeremy Gibson
08-21-2006, 6:04 PM
I guess Lake George is too obvious...or have the prices there gotten insane?

Edit: Oops, never mind...the lake I was thinking of in that area is Elevenmile Reservoir, looks like it's all in a state park.

Lee,

Elevenmile is just about 20 miles away from Divide. We looked at a house there 5 years ago when we moved but it had just been sold. Something about that area didn't sit well with me. I have enjoyed visiting there, but wouldn't want to live there.

Curt Harms
08-21-2006, 6:14 PM
Hi Jeremy

NC or NW PA. has lakes & rivers, fairly temperate climate tending to cool, inexpensive housing and state taxes aren't TOO bad. People from the S.E. corner of the state buy property in Bradford PA. (NW Corner) for vacation homes. S.E. and S. Central PA. is expensive due to proximity to NYC, Philly and D.C. Get away from that crap and life is better. Even the central part of the state around State College is nicely rural with suburban amenities nearby.

Curt

P.S. I almost forgot-More hardwood and sawmills than You can shake a stick at. Cherry? Ohhh Yeah:D

Lee DeRaud
08-21-2006, 6:20 PM
Lee,

Elevenmile is just about 20 miles away from Divide. We looked at a house there 5 years ago when we moved but it had just been sold. Something about that area didn't sit well with me. I have enjoyed visiting there, but wouldn't want to live there.I know where Divide is, that why I thought it was too obvious. :p

My first thought was Palmer Lake (about 25 miles SSW of Denver), but I imagine that's getting pricey and/or congested by now. That stretch on the west side of I25 from Palmer Lake to Castle Rock used to be a pretty nice area though.

Jeremy Gibson
08-21-2006, 6:34 PM
My first thought was Palmer Lake (about 25 miles SSW of Denver), but I imagine that's getting pricey and/or congested by now. That stretch on the west side of I25 from Palmer Lake to Castle Rock used to be a pretty nice area though.

I seems like more and more of the I25 corridor feels like south Denver. At least from Castle Rock north is that way.

Todd Woodward
08-21-2006, 8:35 PM
Here's the website address.

www.findyourspot.com/survey/Results.asp?ID=0A29494F49054326FD8136E1D3799D7A

Lee DeRaud
08-21-2006, 8:56 PM
I seems like more and more of the I25 corridor feels like south Denver. At least from Castle Rock north is that way.The impression I got is that from Castle Rock south now feels like north Colorado Springs. :p

Jim Becker
08-21-2006, 10:05 PM
The whole I25 corridor is...busy. I have coworkers who used to work in Highlands Ranch and now have to commute up to Westminster on days they are not doing the virtual office thing. Brutal. One gal is between and hour and a half and two hours each way just due to where she lives...and was only 20-40 minutes to HR. As much as I enjoy visiting the Denver area from time to time, I suspect it's getting harder and harder to enjoy living there, like most sprawling urban/suburban areas.

Chris Padilla
08-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Jeremy,

I'm from Broomfield, CO, and in my schooling time at both Fort Collins and Boulder, I'd someday like to live in either one of those areas although my wife is really liking the Bay Area (been here 8 years now! :( ). I have a good buddy from CSU (Ft. Collins) who stayed there after graduation and he just moved a little bit north of Ft. Collins and picked up several acres and is planning a house. I think he is doing it for around 400-450 k total.

I agree with the others...I-25 is pretty bad and I-70 is even worse. The corridor from Boulder to Ft. Collins still isn't too bad but I fear it'll go the way of 25 and 70 one day....

John Shuk
08-22-2006, 6:31 PM
Lake George might not be bad but Lake Sacandaga isn't too far away and is a bit less expensive.