PDA

View Full Version : Cost for Inlay

Hayden Simons
08-20-2006, 7:49 PM
I'm looking to inlay a humidor and a crib with an 'S' in a script type font and was pointed to this forum. The inlay would be about 6 inches high. I'd like to inlay some figured maple in brazillian cherry. Is this something that can be done using laser? I'm thinking the 'S' could be cut 1/8 inch deep or so in the cherry, then one of matching size cut out of the maple. Is that possible? What type of cost would I be looking at?
Thanks in advance.
Hayden

Leigh Costello
08-20-2006, 11:45 PM
I am not ready for that type of work yet, as I have only had my laser for a few weeks, but please provide your location so the really good laser users can advise you better. Just a suggestion.:)

George M. Perzel
08-21-2006, 6:38 AM
Hi Hayden;
Easy to do with a laser-done quite a bit (checkout laserarts.net) Is the humidor finished or raw wood? $30 if raw wood and you will finish.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Hayden Simons
08-21-2006, 6:50 AM
It's raw wood. I'm located in Memphis.

Were you thinking about 30 each or for both the crib and humidor.

Hayden Simons
08-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Okay, I've called 6 trophy shops and the best answer I've gotten is "I'll take a look at it." Answers have ranged from "no", "I dobut it" to "man, that would be a major undertaking." Am I asking the wrong questions? The one that said it would be a major undertaking said the problem is that one part would have to be a few microns smaller due to the width of the laser.

I think I understand what he's saying. He's saying he's got to compensate for the laser like the extra bushing compensates for the width of the bit when using the router inlay kit. Any ideas of who to call if not a trophy shop?

On the plus side, the one who said he'd take a look at it was only going to charge $10.

Pete Simmons
08-21-2006, 12:00 PM
What are the size of the pieces?

Both to engrave and to ship.

If you can keep the piece to engrave to smaller than 12 x 18 inches send me a PM to discuss.

Lee DeRaud
08-21-2006, 12:05 PM
The one that said it would be a major undertaking said the problem is that one part would have to be a few microns smaller due to the width of the laser.

I think I understand what he's saying. He's saying he's got to compensate for the laser like the extra bushing compensates for the width of the bit when using the router inlay kit.Huh?!? If the guy thinks kerf-width compensation is a "major undertaking", run fast, run far. You need to find somebody who actually knows how to use a laser and the software that drives it.
Any ideas of who to call if not a trophy shop?Pete Simmons. :cool:

George M. Perzel
08-21-2006, 9:40 PM
Hayden;
$30 for both assuming part of crib will fit in laser - max length =26".
George

John Esberg
08-22-2006, 5:02 PM
Inlays are my specialty. I make them for flooring. For floor inlays, most pieces run around $0.60 to $1.50 per square inch.

In your case, you're asking for a simple "S" letter design. For people who work in inlays, you are asking for a very simple project. You should be looking for woodworkers in most cases. Most simple designs can be created with a scroll saw & router. A good inlay Guru with a laser should be able to do your humidor with ease. If the crib can be disassembled, your other piece shouldn't be a problem either. If not, you'll just have to pay a little more to have the routing of the substrate done by hand.

Something you should try is having a laser engraver raster out the image on the substrate to a depth of approx. 0.015". Then have the "S" of your choice converted to a vector line drawing with no color fill. Give the drawing an outside contour of 0.003" and cut out the contour. Check fit your newly cut "S". Glue it in and sand/scrape it down to match the height of the substrate. Last but not least, give it a hand sanding and finish. Pretty easy actually.

If you need more help, send me an email with your phone number.

V/R,

John "DAK" Esberg

P.S. Have you considered "Wood Thins"? Go to the Laserbits website and check them out. They work really, really well.

Joe Pelonio
08-22-2006, 5:21 PM
Okay, I've called 6 trophy shops and the best answer I've gotten is "I'll take a look at it." Answers have ranged from "no", "I doubt" to "man, that would be a major undertaking." Am I asking the wrong questions?
Your typical trophy shop with a laser is using it to make the plates for trophies and maybe name badges and desk plates, they are not used to thinking outside of their commercial niche. I've done some nice jobs for people that were turned down by trophy shops that said it couldn't be done. Laser owners here on the Creek are also woodworkers or woodworking hobbyists and are used to being creative.

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2006, 5:29 PM
Laser owners here on the Creek are also woodworkers or woodworking hobbyists and are used to being creative.What Joe said: note that, up until a couple of months ago, this forum was titled "Laser Woodworking". :cool:

John Esberg
08-22-2006, 5:45 PM
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention the price I would charge if you were local and didn't need finishing work done.

If I were to drop in wood thins or veneers, I would probably charge $30 each. Finishing, shipping, handling, etc of course would be extra.

Till later,

John "DAK" Esberg