PDA

View Full Version : The Limbert Angled Bridle Joint. (Open Tenon)

Mike Cutler
08-20-2006, 7:23 PM
I needed to learn how to make a joint today for an upcoming project. the joint was one that I saw on an original Limbert cabinet, that SWMBO would like done in cocobolo.

This particular joint is the corner joints of the cabinet door, and supports a clear pane of glass 13"x23" . When I make the cabinet the glass will be the same size, but will be a stained glass panel.

The joint is an "Angled Bridle Joint", or an "Open Tenon" joint, with a twist. The rabbeted ledge to support the glass is built into the joint. I think it's odd, but it's the way it is, and I need to replicate it.

I thought that I would pay Mark Singer back for his joint posts, and take everyone that is interested through the learning process. I made two critical mistakes, and at first I wasn't going to do this until I had it right, but I thought, what the heck, if I made the error chances are someone else can benefit from my mistakes.

This is a rough sketch that I made of the joint in the antique store. LOML said it was a faux pas to take pictures in an antique store.:confused:

I started by rabbeting the ledge in the stock, in this case it is some choke cherry that I got last winter courtesy of the beavers in the backyard. The rabbet is 1/2"x 3/8'

The next step was to cut all pieces to size and lay them out for a visual. These are the pieces layed out, cut to length, with the rabbeted ledge running the entire length.

The tenons are cut next, and this is where I made my two mistakes. The stiles were the first pieces milled. They were supposed to be the mortised member, and not the tenon as I made them, and I forgot to account for the offset of the rabbeted ledge. Oh well, it was a first attempt. better to make the error on backyard wood than the cocobolo. Here is the picture of the stile after being cut improperly and fitted into the mortise. It's easy to see the error.

I recut the stiles for a learning experience, just to make sure that I could. The following is a pic of the rail, and stiles cut properly, albeit 90deg out.:eek: 45299

I'll post the completed assembled pic's in a second post.

Mike Cutler
08-20-2006, 7:29 PM
These are a series of pic's that show the joint assembled.45300

It's a wierd little joint, and I'm not really certain that a standard M&T with a routered rabbet wouldn't be better, but this is the joint that Limbert used on the cabinet, and it's the same one I'll use.

I didn't show the pinning of the joint. I was really just trying to get the "chop's" down.;)

Jeff Horton
08-20-2006, 9:04 PM
Isn't scrap wood wonderful? :) Always like to see someone else's work and especially their mistakes. I learn a lot from them. More than their successes.

Julio Navarro
08-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Well done, Mike.

Interesting joint.

Jamie Buxton
08-21-2006, 1:06 AM
It's a wierd little joint, and I'm not really certain that a standard M&T with a routered rabbet wouldn't be better, but this is the joint that Limbert used on the cabinet, and it's the same one I'll use.

Our nice hand-held routers didn't exist when Limbert was alive. However, table saws did exist, and this joint can built with one.

Mike Cutler
08-21-2006, 5:32 AM
Our nice hand-held routers didn't exist when Limbert was alive. However, table saws did exist, and this joint can built with one.

This is definitely a true statement.;) I'll still replicate it for period "authenticity".

On a side note Jamie. It would appear that some of us have a little "crow to eat" concerning the "splined miter" joint that you featured in this post.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21328

I happened to get the Tage Frid, three volume hardbound set, with DVD, a few weeks back.
In the video on the DVD, Tage takes the viewer through the making of the "splined miter" joint. it was pretty cool.

I kinda dismissed the joint out of hand, but Tage's opinion and yours were the same. So.... I like my crow with bernaise sauce.;)

Mike Weaver
08-21-2006, 7:11 AM
Mike,

Thanks for explaining this joint (with pics :D).

These ongoing tutorials are what make SMC a REALLY great place.

Please post some pics of the Cocobolo when you've done this "for real".

-Mike
...Who is SO glad scrap wood is just that from time to time. :cool:

Mark Singer
08-21-2006, 9:07 AM
Mike,
This type of joint is often called a "slip" joint and as you saw the rabbetted ledge made it more difficult. If you make the join without the rabbet and rabbet after with a router it is easier. Your final joint looks really good....the great thing you did was to make a trial using scrap...that is really important. Another joint that works well is cutting the rabbet and then "lapping" at the rabbet line. You see the notch at the joints and a small loose tenon will all a lttle more strength. ...Nise explination and this is the kind of stuff I was hoping to see. It is a great way for all of us to learn from each other .

Jim Becker
08-21-2006, 9:07 AM
Thanks, Mike. Nice pictorial on some interesting joinery.

Dave Richards
08-21-2006, 9:47 AM
Mike, thanks for that tutorial. Very good. Because the joint looks like one I could use I did a quickie sketch to see if I got it right. Does this look like what you are doing?

Martin Lutz
08-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the time that you, Mark, and the other Creekers are taking to help elevate our knowledge and quality of work. I love the learning. I hope to contribute some day. Thanks again.

Mike Cutler
08-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Mike, thanks for that tutorial. Very good. Because the joint looks like one I could use I did a quickie sketch to see if I got it right. Does this look like what you are doing?

Dave Richards.

That's a great picture! It's exactly what the joint should look like in 3D.

The Angled Bridle, Open Tenon, or Slipjoint is not a very strong joint by itself. It requires some pinning to provide mechanical strength, or as Mark pointed out in his post to lap the rabbet, and use a loose tenon to fix the joint. (Thank's for that twist Mark, I like it. I won't use it for this project, but I'll file it away for the future.)

Mike Weaver.

I'll be sure to post the cabinet when finished. Cocobolo is such a nice wood. I'm hoping that the finishing is easy because I want to retain the natural appearance. (I've already found out that putting it through a drum sander is going to be interesting. The natural oil really loads up the belt quick.)

Martin.

I agree. The info that is willingly shared on this site is incredible. I see some of the things that folks produce here, and I think I should pack it in and shop at an IKEA. I won't though.

Mark and Jim.

Thanks for the kind words. I have another joint I'm working on. It's an interlocking internal M&T joint. The tolerances are kicking me in the butt right now, but I'll get it.

Chris Padilla
08-21-2006, 1:07 PM
Cool stuff...look what you have started, Mr. Singer! :D

Thanks, Mike...errors and mistakes are the best things to show quite often!