PDA

View Full Version : Bunk Beds FINALLY finished

Randy Gillard
08-20-2006, 4:37 PM
Well at long last the saga of the bunk beds is over. The design is my own, with inspiration taken from a couple of plans and pictures . Wood is hard maple, 3 coats of wipe on poly.
The drawers underneath were built 2 or 3 years ago, and were stained in anticipation of staining the eventual bed. I rebuilt one headboard because the stain looked so blotchy, and decided to go with a clear finish on the beds. The mismatched drawers may be rebuilt some day to match....or not.
I really underestimated how much work there was in this project (especially with rebuilding one headboard). LOTS of sanding, and this is the first project that used up more than a full can of poly.
Glad its done. I am trying to think of ways to speed up my completion rate. Lately I have been considering performance enhancing drugs.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/hrgillard/Bunk%20Beds/IMGP0720.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Lou Morrissette
08-20-2006, 5:07 PM
Great job, Randy. Real nice simple lines on the design and the finish looks great.
My daughter recently asked me to look for plans for a set for my twin grandsons. Any suggestions on where to find plans on similar designs? I fall a little short in the design talent department.:(
TIA

Lou

Randy Gillard
08-20-2006, 6:01 PM
Great job, Randy. Real nice simple lines on the design and the finish looks great.
My daughter recently asked me to look for plans for a set for my twin grandsons. Any suggestions on where to find plans on similar designs? I fall a little short in the design talent department.:(
TIA

Lou

Thanks Lou,

I didn't use a plan per se. I did buy a plan, downloaded from shotnotes, but in the end the bed looks very different and I did not use the plans much at all.

If you downloaded a mission bed plan, like the one in Wood magazine, it gives you all the basic techniques, then you just alter the dimensions of components to suit.

Good luck.

Joe Mioux
08-20-2006, 7:11 PM
Very nice Randy

My kids and LOML has been after me to do the samething. I really like your beds.

Thanks for posting

Joe

Ralph Okonieski
08-20-2006, 7:20 PM
Nice beds ! Very clean looking design. Well done.

Jim Becker
08-20-2006, 9:35 PM
Randy, that's a really nice setup! Great job! Nicely convertible in the future, too.

Jack Ferrell
08-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Randy, That set up looks way better than the one I slept in while growing up. Not to mention safer. I like the design and color. Well done.

Jon Eckels
08-20-2006, 11:05 PM
It's beautiful... But all I can think about is the arguments that will ensue about who gets which bed. :D

Corey Hallagan
08-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Very nice job. I am sure the kids will love it!

corey

Paul Canaris
08-21-2006, 7:20 AM
I really like this variation on a traditional theme. And the execution is very well done as well.
good job.