PDA

View Full Version : question on sea shells

Bill Cooke
08-20-2006, 2:42 PM
Has any one done any laser engraving on sea shells? If so is there anything special you got to do? I got some sand dollars that I thought might be cool engraved. Appreciate any imput on this.
Bill

Frank Corker
08-20-2006, 5:39 PM
Hi Bill,

I did try on a shell once, made a reasonable engrave on it, much like glass, very hard. It was from a piece of jewellery and my wife caught me right in the middle of the first test. My ears still hurt now!

Joe Pelonio
08-21-2006, 8:26 AM
Hi Bill,

I did try on a shell once, made a reasonable engrave on it, much like glass, very hard. It was from a piece of jewellery and my wife caught me right in the middle of the first test. My ears still hurt now!
:D I love that Frank. Did you do your experiments with leather on one of her shoes?

Frank Corker
08-21-2006, 4:12 PM
Joe! How did you know about that? You should have seen her face when she lifted up and looked underneath her alabaster jewellery box!

Pamela Panik
08-22-2006, 9:54 PM
Bill,

Nothing is sacred in our house, when I get an idea to try it in the laser, there it goes! I did a sand dollar in the laser and it worked really cool.

You just have to have it at a really low power and higher speed. I did it a couple of times and the second time I turned up the power a bit and burned through the first layer. I was thinking of putting some kind of cool saying on one and hanging it in my bathroom.

Too many ideas, not enough time.

Pamela

John Esberg
08-23-2006, 5:11 PM
I'm just curious, what does it smell like when done? Any bit fishy?

DAK