PDA

View Full Version : Sliding window hardware source

Ray Bersch
08-20-2006, 2:09 PM
I need to find a source for sliding window hardware. An Internet search has so far been fruitless. Any suggestions??

I would like to build some wood horizontal sliding windows for a screened porch. There are six openings of 48" high by 60" wide. I plan for two windows per opening, each will be movable and the windows will slide past each other.

I am looking for the sliding hardware for these windows - either rollers that can slide easily within wooden tracks that I make or that slide on metal tracks that I can buy along with the rollers. The application is for a summer home so I don't need a completely weather proof application but I do want quality stuff that can handle the weight and will work well for a long time. And, no, I do not want to install factory made vinyl sliders - 'cause my hobby is wood working, not vinyl working, besides, that's too easy!

Ray

Jamie Buxton
08-20-2006, 2:30 PM
My local hardware store has a whole rack full of replacement parts for sliding patio doors and sliding patio screen doors -- wheels with adjustable ride height and such. Here's a web site with some of this stuff -- http://www.replacement-hardware.com/patio_doors.htm Surfing should find more. Could you use that for your windows?

Ray Bersch
08-20-2006, 2:49 PM
Jamie,
All of the stuff I have seen in stores as well as the replacement stuff I have found on the net are for the light weight patio screen doors. Thanks for the link, but it too has only light weight rollers. I have e-mailed an inquiry to that supplier to check on the weight capacity of some of the window rollers they have. I know I have seen some rollers that will handle the heavier windows I want to build, I just can't seem to find them.
Thanks again
Ray

Dar Lounsbury
08-20-2006, 5:34 PM
www.crlaurence.com

C.R. Lawrence is one of the largest glazing industry suppliers.

Ray Bersch
08-20-2006, 6:40 PM
Thanks, Dar, they have several models that will work - the most interesting is - Sliding Window Roller with Dual 1/2" Brass Wheels - or a similar model with heavy duty nylon wheels - both have flat wheels, which is what I am looking for - great job.

Ray