PDA

View Full Version : Griz 1182 6" jointer??

Jerry Olexa
08-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I have a chance to buy a used Griz1182ZXHW 6" jointer locally. What's your opinion or experience on this model? I think it was intro'd in 97. I know by '02 , they had handwheels. This unit has lever adjusters (I'd rather wheels), a raised mag switch and is closed cabinet, 1 hp. Seller asking a little over $300 w mobile base and xtra set blades?? Whats your opinion?? Thanks in advance

scott spencer
08-20-2006, 11:51 AM
The 1182 is a nice well proven Taiwanese made machine. Wood rated the 1182HW over the pack around '02. The one you're looking at has more and nicer doo-dads on it. It's essentially the same basic casting as the GI, Jet, Bridgewood, Woodtek, and Sunhill of that era. My 1182HW is 4 years old and runs like new.

$300 for what you described with the better enclosure, switch, and extra stuff sounds reasonable, though I wouldn't go any higher.

Mark Rios
08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I owned that same model Jerry and it was wonderful for a 6" jointer. I only qualify it like that because I found that sometimes I could have used a wider bed (like we all do from time to time:D ). It's a fine jointer.

I found no trouble with the levers. I never touched the outfeed lever once it was set and I rarely had to adjust the infeed table but when I did the lever was not an issue; It adjusted just fine. I did have to shim my outfeed table a little to get it coplanar but it was NBD.

Sounds like a fine deal and I'm sure you'll like it. JMO.

Kent Fitzgerald
08-20-2006, 12:05 PM
A little over $300 puts you with spitting distance of a brand new Grizzly G0452 (with built-in mobile base) or Ridgid jointer. The mag switch and blades are nice extras, but I think the machine would have to be in excellent condition for that price.

Jerry Olexa
08-20-2006, 12:21 PM
A little over $300 puts you with spitting distance of a brand new Grizzly G0452 (with built-in mobile base) or Ridgid jointer. The mag switch and blades are nice extras, but I think the machine would have to be in excellent condition for that price.

Kent and Scott: I agree. I too think $300+ is a little high for that machine. Could get the new model for a few $ more. Thanks.

Mark Pruitt
08-20-2006, 2:56 PM
Jerry, I sold my G1182Z about a year and a half ago; my memory is so wasted I can't remember what I got for it but it wasn't $300. It included a mobile base and DC hood. Seems like I got $275 but I can't swear to that. Anyway, the reason I sold it was to buy an 8" to replace it. The "shortcoming" of the 6" (pun intended) was in bed length. My 8" jointer, while it takes up more space, makes it much easier to flatten and straighten longer boards. My suggestion is forget the 6 and go with an 8. My two cents,
Mark

Jim Becker
08-20-2006, 6:59 PM
I seem to remember that the 1182 scored well with reviews and users.

Allen Bookout
08-20-2006, 7:50 PM
Just for price compairson, I sold my two year old Ridgid 6" on a HTC mobile base for $275 and it was like new ---- really. No extra blades.

Ernie Hobbs
08-20-2006, 9:33 PM
I bought this model a few months ago used but only paid $200. Any more than that, I would have been looking to get a new one. However, other than a small problem with my switch, it has been great.

Will the seller come down from this price? Grizzly's price for their 6" jointer similar to this one is $325. Without figuring shipping, base, extra blades, you are not far from the brand new price.

Vaughn McMillan
08-21-2006, 12:00 AM
I bought the 1182HW (not the Z model) new right at the end of last year on a closeout price from Griz, and as I recall, it was listed at $315 plus shipping. I've very happy with the jointer (after putting a link belt on it), but I'd think $300 for a used one is a bit high.

- Vaughn

Jerry Olexa
08-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys...You are confirmimg what I thought: it's a decent machine but priced high. It is up for bids and after that ends, I will probably make an offer (after inspection) in the $200 area. If that doesn't work, I'll move to other options like a new one. We are on the same page and thanks for your input...We'll see..