PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt vs senco

jackson stieb
08-20-2006, 3:34 AM
Senco Finish Pro 41XP 15 guage nailer... DeWalt 18 & 16 guage finish nail

used what should i be paying for them and which brand is better

why use a 15 over a 16 and a 16 over a 18 guage? what is each used for?

Keith Weber
08-20-2006, 4:21 AM
Hi Jackson,

I can't tell you about the Dewalt, but I can say that the Senco 41XP is a terrific tool that you would be very happy with. I've used mine quite a bit over the last couple of years. If it was stolen, I'd replace it with the same in a heartbeat. I've never had a misfire with it, and the depth adjustment and overall weight and feel are great.

I don't have a 16ga, but I do have a Senco 18ga. The 18ga is great for pinning things together without leaving a terribly large hole. It's great when you're doing the Norm thing and gluing up something and need the brads to hold everything in place until the glue dries.

I bought the 15ga nailer when I starting trimming my house (base, chair rail, crown, and casing). I started using the 18ga, but it just took too many brads to get the holding power to hold the trim in place if the wall was a little crooked. The 15ga nailer is perfect for trimwork, installing doors, etc.

Keith

tod evans
08-20-2006, 8:43 AM
hands down senco! ..02 tod

Bob Childress
08-20-2006, 8:51 AM
First off, welcome to the Creek! Feel free to take a dip anytime.:)

As to the Senco, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Bostitch, etc. debate, there will be no shortage of suggestions, depending on which tool does the job for which Creeker. :D

Beth Senco and DeWalt are good ones, as is the PC, which is also a commonly used brand. Bostich reviews appear mixed based on my reading, with some swearing by them and others at them.

The 15/16 ga. finish nails have more holding power than the 18 ga, that's the bottom line. So, it depends what you want to use them for. Nailing trim (door, baseboards, and so on) is a good application for a finish nailer (15/16 ga.) I prefer the 16 ga, but that's just me. DeWalt make a cordless 16 ga. (which I have) in both straight and 20 degree angled noses (I prefer the angled for getting into tighter spaces).

Brads (18 ga) are great for lighter projects and are particularly suited for "clamping" glued joints while they dry. Then you don't have to have 50 clamps (well, you do, but that's another discussion:rolleyes: ). I have and use the PC brad nailer. Also handy for pinning shoe molding and some crown molding if you have a good fit.

I have been happy with all my nailers so far (also have a PC pin nailer, a PC straight nose finish nailer and a Delta crown stapler).