PDA

View Full Version : My Sharpening Video

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-20-2006, 1:21 AM
I made this little video so I can show how I put a double bevel on a bowl gouge, someone on another board asked me to show them, as they could not understand my written version :o

Stu's Sharpening Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVWrT5LDeuA)

I joined up at YouTube.com so they can host my video and there will not be a bandwidth problem.

I know it is nothing special, but I hope a few newbies can benefit, and the pro and experienced turners get at least a laugh at my homemade jigs and set up, but hey, it works!

I was told a long time ago, living in Japan as a non-Japanese, if you are, at the very least entertaining, you will be welcomed.

So I'm trying to entertain, and who knows, someone may glean a tiny bit of knowledge from this.

Cheers!

Tony Kent
08-20-2006, 2:57 AM
Hi Stu,
Thanks for posting the double bevel video.
May I ask what that does for you?
I have seen a double bevel before but the second bevel was lower and maybe an 8th of an inch around the bottom.

What do these do?

Thanks so much:)

Mark Rios
08-20-2006, 3:18 AM
Hey Stu ol' buddy, that was very cool. You sound just like a Canadian. :D

The double bevel lathe tool thingy, I don't have a clue but your set-up, tools, jig, sexy legs and video are very cool to see in person. Thanks.

Myrel Willeford
08-20-2006, 3:48 AM
Thanks for making the video. Just what I needed was not sure exactly how to do the sides. I have started my Stu Jig;) hope to finish it soon.

08-20-2006, 4:51 AM
Hey Stu ol' buddy, that was very cool. You sound just like a Canadian. :D

The double bevel lathe tool thingy, I don't have a clue but your set-up, tools, jig, sexy legs and video are very cool to see in person. Thanks.

Lay off the legs thing, or my wife will get jealous ;) :D

hey, it is FREAKING hot and humid here right now, it stinks out there!

I'll explain about the double bevel in an up coming post, basically it lets you present the gouge at a very different angle to the work and get an amazing smooth cut, and I mean a "holy cow, how'd you do that.........????" kind of thing, or at least it was at my turning club when Eli demonstrated it for us.

I may not get it quite right, as I'm going to do this from memory and my notes and pics of the demo, but I'm getting good results with it myself.

Stay tuned...eh.... (just for Mark) ;) :D

Mark Rios
08-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Why does it stink outside Stu?

Again, I have no idea what one actually does with the turning tools but I have followed your posts and interest of the method/technique (?) that you learned from your class. I think it's pretty neato that you think so much about it that you go to the effort to teach it to the rest of the forum. And seeing a tiny portion of the Dungeon in video is cool as well.

WTG Stu.

BTW, Okay, I understand that it's how buuuuuuttttt................you're not doing a Tyler thong thing under that apron are you? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

08-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Why does it stink outside Stu?

Again, I have no idea what one actually does with the turning tools but I have followed your posts and interest of the method/technique (?) that you learned from your class. I think it's pretty neato that you think so much about it that you go to the effort to teach it to the rest of the forum. And seeing a tiny portion of the Dungeon in video is cool as well.

WTG Stu.

BTW, Okay, I understand that it's how buuuuuuttttt................you're not doing a Tyler thong thing under that apron are you? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well then, you will like the next two vids I put up, one showing the double bevel in action on the bowl gouge, and the other the new bowl finishing tool.

Thong............?

What, are you nuts?

The only thongs around here my lovely wife owns, and no, there is no chance you will ever see one :D

Cheers!

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Stu,

I think your jig works well for you , but it is a safty issue ,so I am told .I do the same thing freehand, and if ever the tool catches it will be launched in a direction quite lickley in my direction . The double grind helps me in the fact that your not sharpening the whole edge and is quicker ,and when your have deadlines well evey second counts.

Bob

08-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Stu,

I think your jig works well for you , but it is a safty issue ,so I am told .I do the same thing freehand, and if ever the tool catches it will be launched in a direction quite lickley in my direction . The double grind helps me in the fact that your not sharpening the whole edge and is quicker ,and when your have deadlines well evey second counts.

Bob

Safety issue.........? Please explain?

The tool is held in the jig, the jig is solid in the sliding holder, I cannot see how this could be a safety issue...........?

Cheers!

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Safety issue.........? Please explain?

The tool is held in the jig, the jig is solid in the sliding holder, I cannot see how this could be a safety issue...........?

Cheers!

The stop is metal , (good) the holder wood not so good. there is no capture deveice for side to side or up and down ,you are basicly freehanding it. Which is fine as long as you know it can still catch . Dont get me wrong It works well and your riding high enough were it probaly wont catch ,but there is a chance.

Bob

08-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Duly noted, thanks :)