PDA

View Full Version : Cutting aluminum with table saw

Dar Lounsbury
10-03-2003, 9:04 PM
Assuming I purchase the correct blade for intended purpose, are there any reasons not to use a table saw to cut sheet aluminum? I know it is loud. Intend to use hold downs and use caution. Can I cause harm to any part of TS?

Thanks, Dar

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-03-2003, 9:10 PM
Although I have never done it, my Dad has cut Aluminum Sheet on his table saw many times. He just uses a Carbide Tipped Blade, and feeds it slowly. You are right Dar, it is noisy! To my knowledge, it will not damage your saw in any way.........at least my Dads Table Saw is no worse for the wear, and I think if it would damage anything, he would not be doing it. (He has a Delta Unisaw, that is his baby.) ;) If it were me, I think I would disconnect from a Dust Collection System, and Eye Protection is a MUST...............gloves would be a good idea too.......sheet metal of any kind can gash you in a heartbeat. Good Luck, and most of all, work SAFELY! :)

Brad Schafer
10-03-2003, 9:14 PM
we used to cut soffit with a circular all the time ... turned the blade backwards and have a nice day.

b

Todd Burch
10-04-2003, 8:28 AM
I've cut aluminum on the table saw with a carbide balde several times - no problem. Wear long sleeves and a face shield if you are squeemish about metal particles flying at you. Eye protection is a MUST (as it always is).

For the miter saw, I bought a specialized carbide blade for cutting non-ferrous metal, but a carbide designed for wood works just fine too (just stay away from using a wood blade with too much positive rake).

Todd.

Dar Lounsbury
10-04-2003, 1:44 PM
Cuts came out just fine. Gloves were a very good idea as the edges are like a razor. Thanks for the help.

Dar

George Troy Hurlburt
10-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Cutting aluminum works best with a lubricant like sheep tallow available from an Industrial supply store. Lube blade before each cut if is a long run. You can put on blade while running with care if you lower the blade. It will run. I have also used Johnson's paste wax before cutting and even candle wax. I use to make aluminum windows and doors in my life before wood and we had an wet misting soluable oil that was sprayed at the time of each cut.