PDA

View Full Version : Finished Eucalyptus Goblet from Demo

Curt Fuller
08-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Here's the finished Eucalyptus goblet from the demo/tutorial. It's 6.5" tall, 1.75" diameter and finished with deft lacquer.

Myrel Willeford
08-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Curt that is beautiful wood and a beautiful goblet! We have a lot of eucalyptus in this area it appears to crack almost as soon as it is cut. Did you process the wood yourself? If so how did you do it?

George Conklin
08-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi Curt,
That sure turned out nice.

One of the things I miss about San Diego, (let's not talk about the weather:rolleyes: ), was all the Eucalyptus that was there. I never gave those trees a thought when I lived there since I didn't start turning until I moved to the oven.

BTW. I love the form and the thin stem:) .

Thanks again for the tutorial.

Travis Stinson
08-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Georgeous!!!:cool:

Jim Becker
08-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Wow...that's a really beautiful piece! Awesome figure! (Great turning too... :D )

Corey Hallagan
08-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Nice work Curt. That is a nice piece and thanks for the tuturial.

corey

Don Baer
08-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Curt,
Thats turned out beutiful. I have turned some Eucalytus and have a ton mor drying to turn and non has as much color as your. Where did you get the Eucalytus from. Is it blue gum red gum etc.

I like the way the wood turns but I haven't seen as much red as yours.

Bernie Weishapl
08-19-2006, 11:54 PM
That is a beauty Curt. I love that wood and the color of it. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
08-20-2006, 12:17 AM
That is sooooo beautiful... I love the "shimmer" to it. You do the wood justice! ;)

Michael Stafford
08-20-2006, 7:10 AM
A wonderful goblet executed in beautiful wood. Your goblets are all things of beauty. Good work!:D

Hilel Salomon
08-20-2006, 8:12 AM
Hi, I'd like to know about how you keep it from cracking. I cut down a large tree for a friend and kept the wood in a carport for years. I turn bowls but all of them have major cracks. Decided that the wood was beautiful enough to let the crack give the bowls "character." Still, I'd like to know what you did for the goblet. Also, where is the tutorial?
Hilel

Curt Fuller
08-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi, I'd like to know about how you keep it from cracking. I cut down a large tree for a friend and kept the wood in a carport for years. I turn bowls but all of them have major cracks. Decided that the wood was beautiful enough to let the crack give the bowls "character." Still, I'd like to know what you did for the goblet. Also, where is the tutorial?
Hilel

This piece of wood was one I bought at MacBeath's Hardwoods. It was on a rack labeled 'various australian eucalyptus'. It's only the second piece of eucalyptus I've ever turned so I can't say much more about it. And it was dried and sealed in wax. It was nice wood to turn though.

George Conklin
08-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Also, where is the tutorial?
Hilel

Here ya go.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41497

Ben Werner
08-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Beautiful!! Is deft lacquer drinkable safe??

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-20-2006, 1:15 PM
Absolutely lovely, Curt.

Ben: Just about any surface finish (lacquer, poly, etc) will be food safe once it has completely cured. That can take upwards of a month, depending upon the finish.