PDA

View Full Version : New CNC router

George Skinner
08-19-2006, 9:12 PM
Just wanted to share a photo of my new CNC Router (used but new to me).
It is a BMR Automation 48"x96" with a Porter Cable Router. (BMR is no longer in business)
It is a nice built machine, especially the stand the previous owner built using all 1/4" thick wall steel tube, very heavy.
Waiting for some router bits to arrive so have not had a chance to do much with it yet.
The controller is a little outdated and under powered so I will be rebuilding it soon.
Can't wait to start using it!

Have been looking at VCarve Pro for sign carving, anyone here using this software?

Thanks for looking.

Keith, I guess you can add CNC router to my listing on the Laser & Cnc owners list.

Mark Rios
08-19-2006, 9:36 PM
That looks pretty neato. Does Harbor Freight have a version of that? :D

Man, you folks doing the engraving and lasering thing are very impressive. Kinda like a whole different realm.

Congrats George.

Bob Reda
08-19-2006, 11:14 PM
George,

Welcome to the world of CNC routers. Recently got there myself. I got the Vcarve software and I must say that it lets you get into many different things quite readily. It has its limits as you may need another software package (like corel or adobe) but for signmaking and 2d it comes in rather nicely. Service is pretty good also, and the forum is woth its weight in gold. I also have artcam, but there is a learning curve that goes with that, especially the 3d part. hope this helps.

Bob

Bob

Keith Outten
08-20-2006, 7:08 AM
Congratulations George,

I know you will be real busy from now on either watching the router run or setting at your workstation designing new projects. Like it or not you are now a signmaker :)

I will be working on the laser and CNC list later this morning and will be glad to add your new machine to your offering.

Keith

Ed Lang
08-20-2006, 7:19 AM
If the picture you posted is from your shop..... then you are a old had with CNC machines. If it is a picture before you moved the machine..... please post a picture of its new home!

I use V-Carve PRO and LOVE it. For my work, I could not do without it. The new version that was released just yesterday has a few nice additions and the post processor now has arcs which will give better curves in toolpathing.

If you have not seen my post asking for quick help on 10 signs, please look at it. All of those signs were created and tool pathed in V-Carve PRO. Also the oval white oak sign I made with the anchor in the middle was a V-Carve PRO baby.

Vectric does have a good forum and be sure to take a look.

This forum is also good so keep posting for us to see.

Take care,
Ed

Mike Kelly
08-20-2006, 9:42 AM
http://www.mechmate.com/
http://www.machsupport.com/artsoft/index/index.htm

Here are a couple of websites to study for driver/software solutions for CNC machines.

I love the frame on your machine. Got any more close-up pictures of the drive mechanisms? Have fun with it.

George Skinner
08-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments.

The picture was taken in our shop. The other machine you see in the background is a Point to Point we have had for 10 years. The only regret was it didn't have a router.

I will take some more pictures and post them a little later.

Now I am going to have to pay a little more attention to all the pictures of signs posted on this forum, as Keith said I guess I'm in the sign business now.

David Harvey
08-20-2006, 6:44 PM
WOW! ...nice machine! and I love the workspace you've got. Whish I could have stretched my shop a little before my 'bot' arrived.

VCarve Pro is definitely the way to go. You will love it and will be cutting before you know it.

Good luck and happy sign making...and whatever else...you will find yourself experimenting left & right just to see what it will do.

Oh..btw, be sure to give the wife a goodbye kiss.:D

Dave