PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your wood?

Myrel Willeford
08-19-2006, 6:59 PM
My wife is beginning to complain about my wood storage system.

Currently I have an area behind my workshop were I have all my turning wood stacked/piled (logs) according to wood type it takes up most of the ground space in a 13’ X 13’ area. I keep the roughed out blanks in the shop under the lathe.

Any examples or recommendations for wood storage would be appreciated.

Doug Jones
08-19-2006, 7:07 PM
Basicly, I do it the same way. I just pile it on a pallet to keep it off the ground and throw a tarp over it. I also seal it with anchorseal.

Myrel Willeford
08-19-2006, 8:29 PM
Hi Doug,

I am trying a couple of types of end seal. I had a bunch of old latex paint so I painted some I also has some limb seal used for fruit trees and now I am using wax. The wax appears to work the best so far for me.

Lee DeRaud
08-19-2006, 11:12 PM
My wife is beginning to complain about my wood storage system. You have a system?!? Crikey, what's she complaining about then? You're way more organized than I am...

Myrel Willeford
08-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Lee
It appears she thinks I should rotate my wood faster, I say it is spalting she thinks it is rotting. LOL

Lee DeRaud
08-20-2006, 12:43 AM
It appears she thinks I should rotate my wood faster...Sounds like she's giving you permission to buy a variable-speed lathe. :cool:

Myrel Willeford
08-20-2006, 1:32 AM
I do have my eye on a 24" PM, but she thinks I need to sell some of my work and earn the money, that is a lot of pens. :eek:

ROBERT SCHUMAN
08-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Here is a glimps of my wood problem ,if you were able to stand in front , it wood be ,oak 4/4 - 8/4 , mahogany, cherry ,walnut,western maple,eastern maple, then theres the racks on the other wall. Brazilian cherry ,walnut ,cherry, I have a problem, I need professional help !

Bob

Jean Holland
08-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Since we moved, I've been storing my wood in a temporary tent shelter with other yard impliments and the tractor. We finally got the barn built (30'x54') and the cement floor finished. We built a shelf for storage (8'x30') and moved everything out of the tent. While doing so, we found a snake skin in a box of my turning wood. The skin the snake shed was about 5' long...snake got bigger! :eek: We were wondering why there weren't any mice in the tent until we saw that thing. :cool:

Worse than the snake were the carpenter ants :( that got into some of the wood. We were going to move all the wood into the barn, but had second thoughts about a big crate of logs. Those are staying in the tent until we can size them into bowl blanks. Don't want any suprises living in the barn (or eating it either).

Problem with stacking wood in my back yard is that it gives shelter to mice and food in addition to shelter for snakes. I guess that's just something I'm going to have to get used to living in the middle of no where.

Ed Breen
08-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Hey Jean,
Welcome to ruralia! Most of the snakes you'l find are benevolent. They eat the mice, moles and voles. Black snakes, corn snakes and the lot are paart of the rural scene. The will also keep your shop and barns rodent free.
Ed:D

Doug Jones
08-20-2006, 11:21 PM
living in the middle of no where.
Welcome to Indiana!!!!