PDA

View Full Version : Cars, why can't we get this model in the US

Ken Garlock
08-19-2006, 6:14 PM
As I was browsing another site, I ran across a reference to the European Honda Diesel (http://www.carpages.co.uk/honda/honda_diesel_sets_new_world_records_12_05_04.asp). Can you say 92 MPG and a top end of 133 MPH?:eek:

Robert Mickley
08-19-2006, 7:07 PM
A lot of folks got turned off on diesels by the VW Rabbit, oh though I would ike to find one. Another one is in england you can diesels in the little pickups.

Would be a great alternative to driving a full size truck around all the time.

Jon Eckels
08-19-2006, 7:45 PM
Wow.

I have every intention of calling Honda on monday and asking them when it is coming to the USA.

That's just too awesome. Why bother with a hybrid?

Ken Garlock
08-19-2006, 7:52 PM
Robert, you are probably right about the VW diesel. I think also that GM played with peoples brain with their attempt to sell an Oldsmobile diesel that was based on the standard 350 engine block.

Personally, I would just love to have the Mercedes E-class diesel. My service lady told me that they are quiet and do not smell. Anybody have an extra 50+ kilobucks they would like to donate?;)

John Shuk
08-19-2006, 8:13 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many mpg it gets once the EPA gets its hands on it.

Ian Barley
08-19-2006, 8:39 PM
Ken

I read somewhere that there are a couple of states in the US where it is not legal to sell a passeneger car running on diesel?? I think that this is quoted as a reason by some US manufacturers why they don't market "consumer" diesel engined cars. As I understand it this is based on emmisions although European diesel is a different formulation with lower sulphur content.

My wife drive a VW diesel (Touran) which is responsive and frugal (up to 30,000 mile service interval!). Diesels account for a good percentage of car sales in the UK and the technology is far removed from that of a few years ago. A relatively rare instance of you guys really missing out on something good.

Dennis Peacock
08-19-2006, 8:39 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many mpg it gets once the EPA gets its hands on it.

22MPG Highway and 17 City AFTER the EPA and "Americanized". :p :p :D

Ken Werner
08-19-2006, 9:17 PM
Could it have anything to do with the oil connections of the current administration?

Ken

Jeffrey Makiel
08-19-2006, 9:51 PM
I not sure about Japan, but I believe Europe uses a much more refined grade of diesel. Here in America, our diesel fuel is of lower quality, and is basically the same as no. 2 heating oil. It just has a different tax structure.

Having a vehicle that gets over 90mpg is a giant leap from what Americans drive. I would just be happy to see legislation that requires all new residential vehicles to have a minimum of 30mpg over the next 5 years. This level of performance is available now. No special engineering required.

When our men and women have to fight in Iraq for oil, nobody should be buying these giant vehicles even if they can afford $10 per gal gas.

-Jeff

Allen Bookout
08-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Could it have anything to do with the oil connections of the current administration?

Ken
How could you think such a thing? Of course I say that with a smirk on my face.

I guess that the other side of the story is that the oil compainies control a lot of stuff so there is not much the common man can do.

What a sad state of affairs!

Allen

Jason Roehl
08-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Newer, lower sulphur diesels are on the way. 2007MY diesel vehicles are required to run on it. I just saw a diesel pump the other day that said it was illegal to fill up a 2007 vehicle from that pump (and it may damage the vehicle). The problem is, the low sulphur diesel isn't quite in the distribution network yet. Things could be interesting for diesel owners/prices/fuel oil/kerosene/etc for the next year. Supposedly all diesel sold after 1/1/07 is to be the low sulphur diesel.

BTW, there are diesel passenger cars for sale in the U.S. Both my sisters (and BsIL) have VW Jetta TDis--diesels that get close to 50 mpg on the highway. The New Beetle also had(has?) a diesel option. But nothing close to the 92mpg noted above.

Robert Mickley
08-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Robert, you are probably right about the VW diesel. I think also that GM played with peoples brain with their attempt to sell an Oldsmobile diesel that was based on the standard 350 engine block.

I forgot about that nightmare, and some of the trucks had that engine

Anybody have an extra 50+ kilobucks they would like to donate?;)

Will you take a check? :D:D:D:D:D

Curt Fuller
08-19-2006, 11:12 PM

Ken

Here's an interesting program that aired the other day. It's called "Who Killed the Electric Car". You can download it and listen with an mp3 player. Kind of makes you wonder who's running things these days.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kuer/news/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=955309&sectionID=184

Also, for a good chuckle go to www.google.com (http://www.google.com) and type the word failure into the search and see what comes up first.

Ian Barley
08-20-2006, 4:35 AM
... But nothing close to the 92mpg noted above.
The article doesn't, as far as I can see, clarify whether that is per real gallon or per US gallon.:) I'm gonna guess that it is the former because the site is a .co.uk. That means that this is a gallon of 8 (20oz) pints not the 16oz pints that you chaps will insist on using. That means that the valus in US MPG is just under 74 mpg. Still impressive but important to bear in mind when making comparisons.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-20-2006, 5:23 AM
Honda SAYS it gets that.........?

Like Toyota SAID their hybird got great mileage, but.... whoops, they lied.... :rolleyes:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/hybridwatch01.html

Nick Zentena
08-20-2006, 6:34 AM
Isn't that worse mileage then the VW Lupo 3l was getting?

http://www.dieselnet.com/news/2000/07vw.php

Jason Roehl
08-20-2006, 8:13 AM
The article doesn't, as far as I can see, clarify whether that is per real gallon or per US gallon.:) I'm gonna guess that it is the former because the site is a .co.uk. That means that this is a gallon of 8 (20oz) pints not the 16oz pints that you chaps will insist on using. That means that the valus in US MPG is just under 74 mpg. Still impressive but important to bear in mind when making comparisons.

You are correct! I checked the stated 3.07L/100km against an online calculator and came up with 76.6 US mpg. Like you said, still impressive.

What is it with you chaps across the pond? I thought the US was the land of "bigger is better"? Pounds, tons, gallons... :D ;)

Kent Fitzgerald
08-20-2006, 8:27 AM
I forgot about that nightmare, and some of the trucks had that engine

Friend of mine (well, OK, his parents) had an early 80s Olds Custom Cruiser with the diesel. It was entertaining in its own way: A huge, comfortable car with a floaty ride, juxtaposed against the noise and smoke of the diesel. They went through starters and alternators at an alarming rate, but hey, you could run the diesel with a dead battery, at least until it got too dark to drive without headlights.

Ian Barley
08-20-2006, 8:30 AM
...What is it with you chaps across the pond? I thought the US was the land of "bigger is better"? Pounds, tons, gallons... :D ;)

I suspect that having 16oz in a pound and 16oz in a pint was just a bit too close to rational for us so we threw in a random 20 to keep it interesting:)

Ed Breen
08-20-2006, 11:31 AM
As I remember we called it an Imperial quart. At our shop we have a Sprinter which has a mercedes diewsel. we get around 27 mpg.
Ed

Kent Fitzgerald
08-20-2006, 12:18 PM
The new diesel fuels are mandated by US emissions standards that go into effect in 2007. Under the new rules, diesel vehicles will also require exhaust particulate filters (a.k.a. "smoke scrubbers").

Unfortunately, this means that diesel passenger vehicles, which were already a tiny market in the US, will become rarer. I believe VW is discontinuing diesels in the US for 2007, leaving only Mercedes.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-20-2006, 12:53 PM
It is illegal for us to own a diesel car or truck in Tokyo now, but the big smoke spewing dump trucks etc are all registered outside of Tokyo, so the amount of pollution we have from the big truck diesels is still very high.

I have a few friends that bought new diesel vans etc, and when the car was two years old they had to sell, it, got to love the fascist government doing this crap :mad:

Frank Fusco
08-20-2006, 4:31 PM
How could you think such a thing? Of course I say that with a smirk on my face.

I guess that the other side of the story is that the oil compainies control a lot of stuff so there is not much the common man can do.

What a sad state of affairs!

Allen

Interesting this is being allowed. I had a thread zapped for comments far gentler and less political.:confused:

Lee DeRaud
08-20-2006, 4:39 PM
22MPG Highway and 17 City AFTER the EPA and "Americanized". :p :p :DUh, even the gas-engine version of that car (sold here as the Acura TSX) does a lot better than that. :eek:

Mark Rios
08-20-2006, 4:39 PM
Interesting this is being allowed. I had a thread zapped for comments far gentler and less political.:confused:

Not only that Frank.....Stu said crap. This thread should be burned.

:rolleyes:

Ken Garlock
08-21-2006, 1:15 AM
I suspect that having 16oz in a pound and 16oz in a pint was just a bit too close to rational for us so we threw in a random 20 to keep it interesting:)

you Brits just need to accept the fact that your gallon has 5 quarts. Everybody knows that a pint a pound the world around. Your pint is 4 oz. larger than the US pint. There are 8 pints to a gallon, 8x4 = 32. 32 oz. is a quart, hence your gallon has 5 quarts. QED.

Chris Barton
08-21-2006, 8:52 AM
Personally, I would just love to have the Mercedes E-class diesel. My service lady told me that they are quiet and do not smell. Anybody have an extra 50+ kilobucks they would like to donate?;)

I have owned 2 Mercedes. First was a desiel 300 and a fair car but, every repair cost at least $1k (including the simple stuff). My wife currently drives an E320 gas model and it is a money pit. Again, regular service from qualified mechanics and certified dealers costs an irrational amount and this car has more little "buggy" problems than anything I have ever owned. I'll never own another one. Go for the Lexus...

Dennis Peacock
08-21-2006, 9:24 AM

It's not Frank. I'm just not working around the clock at my day job now, so I have time to visit SMC and do my other day/night job.:D

Ian Barley
08-21-2006, 11:40 AM
you Brits just need to accept the fact that your gallon has 5 quarts. Everybody knows that a pint a pound the world around. Your pint is 4 oz. larger than the US pint. There are 8 pints to a gallon, 8x4 = 32. 32 oz. is a quart, hence your gallon has 5 quarts. QED.

Now play nice Ken - It was our gallon in the first place and if you aren't polite about it we will just come and take it back and you'll all end up having sleepless nights over kilometres per litre figures:)

Nick Zentena
08-21-2006, 12:04 PM
When did pounds switch from shillings to ounces? How many farthings to an ounce? This could get complicated.

Lee DeRaud
08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
When did pounds switch from shillings to ounces? How many farthings to an ounce? This could get complicated.It's actually pretty easy once you learn how to spell "kilometer" and "liter" properly. :D :cool:

Jason Roehl
08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Lee, that's quite a "colourful" signature you have there. :D

Ian, I thought you guys used "L/100Km" for your mileage rating--fuel per distance--versus our MPG--distance per fuel. It would make sense because you drive on the wrong side of the road. :D

Oh, yeah, to stay on topic, I've never seen a diesel pump with a cetane rating of less than 50 here in the U.S.

And, I think the gas prices are dropping because it hit the news that the reserves are/were huge, despite the IDF/Hezbollah conflict and the BP(?) pipeline issue in Alaska. We're in the $2.859-2.899 range right now, but I saw $2.699 this past weekend in Indy.

Ken Garlock
08-21-2006, 1:31 PM
Now play nice Ken - It was our gallon in the first place and if you aren't polite about it we will just come and take it back and you'll all end up having sleepless nights over kilometres per litre figures:)

I couldn't resist, Ian.:) When I was a youngster we would go fishing in Ontario, and my Dad would always comment about the 5 quart gallon in Canada. :D

Ken Garlock
08-21-2006, 1:34 PM
Take a look at this diesel for a container ship (http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/), almost 109,000 hp.:eek:

Ken Garlock
08-21-2006, 1:42 PM
I have owned 2 Mercedes. First was a diesel 300 and a fair car but, every repair cost at least $1k (including the simple stuff). My wife currently drives an E320 gas model and it is a money pit. Again, regular service from qualified mechanics and certified dealers costs an irrational amount and this car has more little "buggy" problems than anything I have ever owned. I'll never own another one. Go for the Lexus...

Chris, you are absolutely correct about the cost of service. My 95 C280 has had a couple minor problems, but the bill was still noticeable. I have a couple years left on the C280, and I do enjoy driving it although I have never had it over 90 mph.

If Lexus came out with a diesel, I would be all over it like a cheap suit. Right now the GS 6-banger gets my vote. None of this hybrid stuff, at least at this point in the game.