PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Base for 14" Delta - FINISHED!

Mark Lansink
02-24-2003, 2:52 PM
Attached are pictures of the bandsaw mobile base I recently finished for my Delta 14" bandsaw w/enclosed stand, 1.5 hp motor, riser, etc.... I used the enclosed stand as the base frame and attached weldments and plates for the axles and front feet respectively. I used the rockler bracket for the front and trimmed off one tab to make it work on the bottom of the saw only.

Mark Lansink
02-24-2003, 2:53 PM
4" phenolic wheels from McMaster $6.90 ea w/ roller bearings.
Not shown here, but I made a simple piece of plate steel for the inside that "sandwiches" the stand to help the stand become more rigid in this area. I never had any problem, but thought "it couldn't hurt" to add more steel!!!! :D

Mark Lansink
02-24-2003, 2:54 PM
Plate steel to stiffen front, tapped for leveling feet and mounting point for rockler lifting caster...

Mark Lansink
02-24-2003, 2:58 PM
Side view of Delta enclosed base....

Mark Lansink
02-24-2003, 2:59 PM
Ready to assemble

Mark Lansink
02-24-2003, 3:01 PM
McMaster Carr.... ~$7.6 +/-

The OEM knob is pressed on the splined shaft. I tapped the Delta knob off with a hammer, taking care not to mar the shaft.

Sanded off the splines with emery paper; continued to sand until it fit the 3/8" bore of the 4.5" OD handwheel;

filed a flat onto the shaft for the setscrew and ....... viola (sp?) done!!!!

Bob Lasley
02-24-2003, 3:01 PM
Mark,

Looks great. I like a base that gets the weight off the casters/wheels on at least one side. Makes the machine more stable. I hate it when I'm making a cut and the machine moves!

Bob

Mark Lansink
02-24-2003, 3:02 PM
Side shot of base prior to 'flipping over'

Bill Erskine
02-24-2003, 8:45 PM
How does the handwheel attach to the shaft? Any mods needed? BTW, very nice job and nicely documented.

Ted Shrader
02-24-2003, 9:08 PM
Mark -

Talk about over engineering. I know I have the same problem. :)

Very well conceived idea. Looks like you will be mobile, yet stable - exactly the goal. The tension handwheel is a good idea, too.

Well done,
Ted

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Very nice! No - Extremely nice!
Very nice engineering.
You might want to check the alignment of the motor pulley and the upper pulley.
I had to turn it around.
Now I realize that it might be less stress on the motor shaft with the pulley turned around.