PDA

View Full Version : For the great grandchild

Jim King
08-19-2006, 2:42 PM
As the Grand daughter just got out of High School and starting College I am a bit early with the rocking horse for the great grandchild whatever it may be if in fact there ever is one as we are not a very prolific family. Plus it is good to be prepared at this age. Anyway just in case it is just about done and waiting for the rockers which will take another month or so to dry before they can be cut and carved.

The head and neck are solid pieces and the body is a box glued and doweled of 2 inch stock to give space for carving with a few extras glued on for depth.. The legs are 3 pieces of 1 inch stock glued together and fit into the body with a large mortise and tenon for strength. . The mane and tail are of an inner tree bark called Chambira. The wood is Orange Agate and the size without rockers is 53 inches long x 44 inches tall and 12 inches wide. It will be about 80 inches long with rockers and about 50 inches tall when finished. I donīt know what it weighs but it is too much for me alone to move around.

The leather is from local shoemaker leather and was put together with rubber cement and then punched and sewn with fish line. The stirrups are scrap brass beat into shape and welded.

Chris Barton
08-19-2006, 2:57 PM
Wow Jim, that's a great looking piece. I hope to make something like that for my grandkids someday when I get some!

Corey Hallagan
08-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Woah, that is sweet Jim. Excellent job.... now that is being prepared!!

corey

Bruce Page
08-20-2006, 9:44 PM
That is very special Jim. Your future grandchild will love it immensely!