PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody tried one of these for DC?

John Shuk
08-19-2006, 1:44 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Dust Deputy by Oneida. It looks pretty good if the claims are true. Isaw it written about in FWW and it piqued my interest.

http://www.oneida-air.com/products/systems/dust_deputy/main.htm

Cecil Arnold
08-19-2006, 1:55 PM
John, Clear Vue also offers a similar model and they have a video on their web site.

Jim Becker
08-19-2006, 2:57 PM
Dust Deputy was derived from a product they developed for the floor sanding business several years ago. I suspect it works as advertised based on my own experience with Oneida as well as others' comments over time. They don't tend to sell products that don't work well.

Mark Rios
08-19-2006, 3:06 PM
John, personally, if I used DC, I wouldn't use a Dust Deputy. It just doesn't sound high ranking. I'd look for a Dust Sherriff, that would do a better job I think.

Bruce Page
08-19-2006, 3:34 PM
John, there was a quickie review in one of the recent wood rags, they couldn’t say enough good things about it.

John Shuk
08-19-2006, 5:44 PM
The idea of a shop vac filter lasting more than 15 minutes is pretty attractive.

Bob Reda
08-19-2006, 6:13 PM
I don't want to steal the thread--but talking about onieda, I just got the bag gripper and its the best accesseory they got going, emptying the bin is no more a major chore. I got my DC before they came out with it and they gave it to me for the lower price.

Bob

Nissim Avrahami
08-19-2006, 6:48 PM
Hi John

The problem with all those separators and cyclones is that, they doesn’t have any filter between the vac and the separator or cyclone, that causes the bag in the vac to clog quickly with fine dust.

That’s the main reason that I did not buy any of them.
Instead, I made it myself with my requirements; minimum dust goes to the vac filter (bag).

Please have a look on the two following threads.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37867 (R2D2)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38174

I use the “R2D2” for the table saw and the other one (with power control), for general work.
They can “eat” anything because everything is stopped by the filter (gardening cloth).
Another advantage is that, they are built as one unit (on wheels).

Regards
niki

Dave Carson
08-19-2006, 8:00 PM
Cyclones are designed to remove the dust so it doesn't reach the filter. The clearvue video is impressive. Some day I will get the Oneida but it will be a while.

Dave

John Shuk
08-19-2006, 8:04 PM
I just finished watching the Clear-Vue video.
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Videos.htm
It is pretty impressive. I've got a few B'day bucks laying around I might be getting an Oneida.

Don Baer
08-19-2006, 8:20 PM
After planeing 40 bdft of white oak today in the temp shop with no DC I'm gonna have to do something. Right now the Clear view for the shop vac looks awfully good. For $165. it's a steal. I do have an 30 yrs OLD shop vac. The clear view with a 1 micron filter looks to me to be the hot setup for a small shop.

Justin Dreier
08-19-2006, 9:39 PM
John - The Dust Deputy works fabulous. I simply have it hooked up to a cheap dirt devil house vaccum. Not the little dirt devil, it's a real floor vaccum. The vaccum was on clearance at the home depot, so I figured why not get it. Then I went online and purchased the dust deputy. The reason I like the floor vac as apposed to a shop vac is the noise. The dirt devil is quieter and has sufficient power to make the dust deputy work great.

I would say 95% of the sanding dust falls to the 5 gallon pail below and 5% continues on to the bagless filter in the vaccum.

Before the dust deputy, I simply used a filter on my orbital sander. Oh, how much better the air is when sanding! Justin

Bill Leonard
08-20-2006, 8:42 AM
I have the clearvue version of the Oneida hooked to a Fein Turbo IV. Not one speck of dust on the Fein filter from sanding. Couldn't be happier with a sanding DC.

Aaron Beaver
08-22-2006, 7:02 AM
The idea of a shop vac filter lasting more than 15 minutes is pretty attractive.

I got one of the DIY kits on a promotion (just the top part) had to buy the bucket, lid ,etc. I hope to put it together this weekend, would love for the shop vac filter to stay clean.

Jim Becker
08-22-2006, 9:05 AM
Aaron, be sure to post a "review" thread once you put that little, umm...sucker...to the test. It could be the ticket for a lot of folks who do mucho sanding and use a shop vac for extraction.

Aaron Beaver
08-22-2006, 9:25 AM
Aaron, be sure to post a "review" thread once you put that little, umm...sucker...to the test. It could be the ticket for a lot of folks who do mucho sanding and use a shop vac for extraction.

Will do, I plan on even emptying and blowing out the vacum inside then cleaning the vacum filter completly with water (since its the kind I can do that to) before fireing her up. That way I can get the most accurate assesment of what it does. I will take some before and after pics for ya.

glenn bradley
08-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I use Woodcraft's #143868; $20 and pretty effective for going on the cheap. Combined with a 'CleanStream' filter in the vac it's a good rig for not a lot of dough.

John Shuk
08-22-2006, 6:13 PM
I'm going to buy the Oneida. I plan on getting the kit with the metal barrel since I also plan to use it when I vacuum out the pellet stove (only when fully extinguished) and I think I'll get less static cling with the metal. Thanks for all the input.

Al Garay
12-16-2006, 2:11 PM
Any updates on the Oneida Dust Deputy? About $129 for DIY, $199 complete
http://www.oneida-air.com/products/systems/dust_deputy/dust_deputy.htm

or ClearVue Mini CV06 Cyclone? About $165
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.htm

or DIY cyclone for a Shop Vac?

thanks,

Al

Jake Helmboldt
12-16-2006, 3:26 PM

Can I get an "amen!"

Dan Forman
12-16-2006, 4:24 PM
It looks like the Oneida is only available with the 1" inlet, whereas the Clear View lets you use the full 2.5" capacity of the vac. I would be inclined to go the Clear View route, as I could always use an adaptor near the tool, but would want the larger hose for cleanup efficency.

Dan